PDA

View Full Version : tadaaa...

barwel1992
25-04-11, 12:47 AM
well some may remember the thread i had up about a black saxo that i was getting well that fell through on it failing its MOT ....

so have had this for 2 weeks now and its coming on quite well

its a 02 saxo vtr 1.6 8v

thought i might as well stick a small photo log up as some might be interested if not then must just be me :p

so far iv given it a new lease of life as when i got it, it was pretty dire...

snapped right hand spring
top mount bearings shot
track rod joints stiff with split boots and rust
drive shaft boot had come off
drop links fubard
tyres you could have sold as slick's
pads that had crumbled up in to bits
been serviced one in a blue moon
bit of rust hear and there
lack of power

looked like this, quite clean for its age
http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo16/barwell1992/saxo.png
http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo16/barwell1992/saxoengineoriginal.png

so then, so far its had
new track rods
new drop links
new tyres
new pads
new top mounts inc bearings
BMC CDA induction kit
new driveshaft boot and grease
new gear box oil
mobil 1 engine oil
breather filter
bosch spark plugs
good clean
engine block enamelled black and heat shield and ecu tray done as well
new head unit

sorry bout the pics new ones tomorrow(today)
http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo16/barwell1992/IMAG0126.jpg
http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo16/barwell1992/IMAG0136.jpg

few things to do,

like strip a few bits off to lose some weight, smaller battery for a start, no spare wheel (tyre weld) remove rear speakers

fit some 206gti brakes
get cam cover powdercoated
and lower it 35mm on uprated dampers

running cost so far is

£950 for the car
£200 on parts
£170 on tyres and tracking
and £2360 on tpft insurane .....

ohh and im going for power to weight ratio so at some point it will be properly striped out, its allready under a tone with 98bhp so not bad really

:smt040

Bluefish
25-04-11, 01:33 AM
That insurance figure made me chuckle, especially compared to the cost of the car :rolleyes:

barwel1992
25-04-11, 08:27 AM
yup good aint it ...... NOT

for my GF on her own its £900 tpft or £1000 fully comp, she has 6 months more experience at driving a car and 2 years and 6 months less road experience ... but of cause that dosn't mean any thing to the insurance company

funny thing is though for me it costs the same to insure this (1.6) as it does for a 1.2 with 30bhp less and weighs 200kg more but its only £700 for the GF fully comp on a 1.2

i sure dont understand it, youd think for me from a 1.2 to a 1.6 specially on a saxo the insurance would sky rocket

dizzyblonde
25-04-11, 08:31 AM
bottomless pockets obviously:rolleyes:

After spending that lot, do you have any money for fuel?

Kenzie
25-04-11, 08:43 AM
Your insurance is so high because they don't want you on their books. To them you are business they could do without so they try and scare you off with high premiums. If changing your battery make sure you get one with the same cold cranking amps (CCA) and amp hour rating (AH).

Geodude
25-04-11, 08:54 AM
Good to see the bike's still alive, i do hope its not being neglected Dan. £2360 on tpft insurance holy moly could have got a new bike for that much ;)

barwel1992
25-04-11, 10:19 AM
no bottomless pockets hear, its part owned with my gf so costs are spit down the middle

bikes not been neglected :P just not ridden that much as i have been working and then working on the car

any how hears some pics after todays efforts :D

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo16/barwell1992/IMAG0152.jpg

shine shine shine
http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo16/barwell1992/IMAG0154.jpg

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo16/barwell1992/IMAG0145.jpg

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo16/barwell1992/IMAG0141.jpg

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo16/barwell1992/IMAG0149.jpg

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo16/barwell1992/IMAG0156.jpg

ohh and ta for the advice on the battery, it wont be to small but will be going in the boot...

TazDaz
25-04-11, 10:47 AM
Oh dear, boy racer wannabe? lol

Insurance is high because of all the muppets which drive those cars.

andrewsmith
25-04-11, 10:55 AM

:winner:

My insurance was less on a busa powered mini than a saxo

barwel1992
25-04-11, 11:47 AM

theres no wannabe about it, its still faster than most cars around this category due to its power to weight ratio

and if you havent noticed its unmolested apart from the induction kit ..

and my insurance is the same on any thing with an engine and 4 wheels including a 1.2 punto with 65bhp

also they handle damn well

:smt019

also funnily i haven't seen any teenagers round her with saxo's its usualy corsa's with huge subs and ripspeed junk

bet you dont see a pug 106 in the same light as the saxo ?

TazDaz
25-04-11, 12:03 PM
Unmolested? You just went on about things you want to do to save weight and also lower it. lol ;)

Round here near enough all boy racer wannabes get a VTR or VTS.

You've managed to get a tidy car though.

Specialone
25-04-11, 01:10 PM
Its french, that means at least every single electrical part, moving part will break at some point in its life.
They are cheap for a reason ;)
Looks tidy now though Dan :cool:

Amplimator
25-04-11, 01:57 PM
A young guy down the road has one of those with a Green Induction kit and a Scorpion De-cat exhaust. Not my cup of tea but it does sound very nice without it being OTT like some. The Scorpion system didnt cost too much either and has lifetime warranty. (about £300-ish)

yorkie_chris
25-04-11, 02:10 PM
Ahahahahahahahahaha

barwel1992
25-04-11, 03:47 PM
Unmolested? You just went on about things you want to do to save weight and also lower it. lol ;)

Round here near enough all boy racer wannabes get a VTR or VTS.

You've managed to get a tidy car though.

ahh yes but at least it wont have a bad boy body kit :p

i want it to handle and go well not look like disco stu's car

so far specialone every thing works

not in to all the loud exhausts on small cars, i want a 4-2-1 manifold but keep the 2 silencers so no louder but about 5bhp more

And YC pi$$ off :smt040

maviczap
25-04-11, 03:55 PM
When you gettin one of those bean can exhuast end pipes then :D

Can't be a proper Saxo without one ;)

leebex
25-04-11, 06:56 PM
cant get over your insurance, thats just a rip off. You can thank all the turds for racing round town crashing into each other.

Big fan of little cars, got a punto sporting myself, although being an old git dont get stung quite so much on insurance.

Lee

Bluepete
25-04-11, 06:57 PM
What was the insurance figure before you modified it?

Pete ;)

L3nny
25-04-11, 07:25 PM
I feel sorry for you mate. When I was 18 and had less than a years no claims I insured a Mk2 Golf GTi for about £700. Insurance these days is criminal!

And ignore the haters, they are good cars, hence why they are so popular. The French cars I have owned (Peugeots and Citroens) have been much more reliable than the German cars I have owned (Volkswagens)

However modding cars is a money pit. The Saxo will never be as fast as your bike, keep it standard and save the money for petrol.

Specialone
25-04-11, 07:35 PM
Lenny, i have owned a mk2 gti as well, i spent thousands modding that at the time, polished and ported head with fast road cam, that car was awesome :)

Most of the motoring world would probably disagree with the french car statement though mate, every single person i know who has owned one has had major things go wrong with them.
Also, i have owned many many VW's and every one has had a hard life (excluding my current one) and been faultless, they cost more for a reason.
French cars are made from cheaper materials, they feel plasticky and their panels are thin, depreciation backs this up compared to german cars which hold their value.
I accept though for the money, they aint bad, just not for me.

dizzyblonde
25-04-11, 07:37 PM
i want it to handle and go well not look like disco stu's car

Forgive me if I'm wrong....but ain't that what bikes are for?
barwel, yer losing yer cred innit man, barry boi here ya come!

L3nny
25-04-11, 07:43 PM
Suppose I have just been lucky with my French cars and unlucky with the German ones.

My dad bought a new 306 in 1995 which got passed to me 12 years later, between us we put 230,000 miles on it without a major issue. I only got rid of it because I wanted something cooler. I have owned 2 other 306s and 2 205s and not had any issues with them either.

However my dad replaced the 306 with a 307 and that was a complete piece of crap.

The aforementioned Golf GTi and my current Bora are/were riddled with odd electrical issues. I know others who have had lots of problems with cars based on the Mk4 Golf platform as well.

Volkswagens do feel like they are better made though but then they cost a lot more.

Anyway, stop de-railing the poor lads thread :p

leebex
25-04-11, 07:50 PM
chosing a car though is same as a bike for many of us. each got our own reasons for our choice.

I love alfas and fiats, had tons of them, yet many people you speak to think theyre rusty, unreliable heaps. I`ve had a couple of bad ones, but some very good ones, all at least 5 years old.

Any car, even better marques get ratty and unrelaible with age if neglected.

Yet Id have Italian cars over any other car out there.

oops back to barwels citroen, lol.

Lee

dizzyblonde
25-04-11, 07:58 PM
chosing a car though is same as a bike for many of us. each got our own reasons for our choice.

well quite, theres a few that call the poofwaggon a chelsea tractor, but then they would cause where they live its all flat, and a small car such as Barwels would suffice, but where we lives its at the top of a hill in Yorkshire, where the potholes swallow Landys whole and the snow falls when everyone else gets rain!

Although....Saxos are barry boi cars, and only the chavs have em round here, usually with the exhaust hanging off because its fallen down a pothole:mrgreen: