PDA

View Full Version : Hot grips

missyburd
14-09-11, 12:08 PM
Anybody use/recommend any others apart from Oxford? I need to start preparing the SV for winter, it's going to end up with handguards also because my silly little hands can't cope with cold but I just wondered if there were better grips than Oxford?

Cheers in advance,

Maria.

metalhead19
14-09-11, 02:09 PM
Why not oxford?

missyburd
14-09-11, 02:12 PM
I know Oxford are good and readily available but wanted to know what other options are. If it meant I had to spend a bit more for a better quality grip then it would be worth it.

rictus01
14-09-11, 02:21 PM
the oxford ones tend to have a problem with the digital control unit, the daytona simple rotating one I find much more reliable.

And rather than handguards, these (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOTORCYCLE-THERMAL-HANDLEBAR-BOXER-BAR-MUFFS-WATERPROOF-/320507124041?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item4a9fb69949) work much better for even the worst climate conditions, not trendy I'll grant you, but functional (make sure you get the neoprene ones.)

Cheers Mark.

missyburd
14-09-11, 02:32 PM
Yeah I'd heard about the Daytonas, any feedback on those would be good.

I'm not too sure about bar muff things, I just keep thinking there'll hamper the controls.

rictus01
14-09-11, 02:37 PM
I've used the daytona one's for 3 winters (that's about 40k winter riding) without any issue, the bar muffs can get it the way a bit, I'll grant you, but the neoprene one's are better as they retain their shape more, they are 10x better than handguards if heat is what you're after, with the combination of the two I've never had cold hands even with ice buildup on the outside of the muffs, miles done and Rictus tested.....:)

missyburd
14-09-11, 02:44 PM
Rictus tested.....:)
A certified guarantee if ever there was one! :mrgreen:

I may try them out in that case. Do you know if they only come in the one size though? If they be too big for my hands then that will add to the cumbersomeness even more, not ideal...suppose for £20...

timwilky
14-09-11, 02:54 PM
Rather than heated grips, I bought heated gloves. Absolutely marvellous, hands like toast, come spring I had serious issues that I did not want to give up the warmth until they became uncomfortably hot.

missyburd
14-09-11, 02:57 PM
Rather than heated grips, I bought heated gloves. Absolutely marvellous, hands like toast, come spring I had serious issues that I did not want to give up the warmth until they became uncomfortably hot.
Duly considered, unfortunately funds don't stretch that far.

kellyjo
14-09-11, 03:02 PM
MYC, Ive used the muffs alone for the last two winters and ridden only in my summer gloves. I only remember one occasion when my hands got too cold, but it was a seriously cold day with ice on the road. After a couple of trips id forget the muffs were there and never had a problem with them interfering with the controls.
This winter I have heated grips too!! :p

Owenski
14-09-11, 03:02 PM
Dunno what make mine are Maria but they were £25 from Rufforth, they're Oxford replicas and I cant fault them.
Give me a shout if you want a set picking up and I'll get them next month (1st Oct), no doubt I'll see you before or shortly after.

missyburd
14-09-11, 09:46 PM
Hmm might be worth a lookie Matt, will get back to you on that one.

Kellyjo, cheers for that, I think I might as well give the muffs ago, can't knock 'em till I've tried 'em after all :-)

Owenski
15-09-11, 10:10 AM
YC's already seen em, but you'll get a look for yourself on the 25th which is before I'd next be going to Rufforth (which YC might also be coming to).

carpet monster
15-09-11, 10:11 AM
I have R&G grips and cannot fault them

Argyll
15-09-11, 06:58 PM
Tried the Bike It muffs for a few runs last week and found that they seriously interfere with the front brake lever reaction time. Even if it's only half a second delay, it's too risky for me and I won't be using them unless absolutely necessary.

I was using summer gloves in order to give me as much room as possible and after a while you can adapt, but in an emergency I don't fancy losing that half second.

I'm sure that others will find them ok, but I don't like them. Money wasted :(

-Ralph-
15-09-11, 07:05 PM
I have a pair of brand new Bike It heated grips, which are actually old style Oxford ones with the rotary controller. New in the box, never been used or fitted to a bike, £15 to you my dear lady.

Sean_C
15-09-11, 07:10 PM
Don't worry MYC, my rather large silly hands can't cope with the cold :rolleyes:

Must get some heated grips.

danf1234
16-09-11, 12:59 PM
Dunno what make mine are Maria but they were £25 from Rufforth, they're Oxford replicas and I cant fault them.
Give me a shout if you want a set picking up and I'll get them next month (1st Oct), no doubt I'll see you before or shortly after.

Is that Rufforth near me?

Owenski
16-09-11, 02:36 PM
yeah rufforth Auto Jumble, first saturday of ever month.

danf1234
16-09-11, 03:08 PM
Is it any good for bike stuff. Never been and it is 3 miles from my front door!

Owenski
16-09-11, 07:05 PM
with the exception of a few months where i would have really struggled to get there I go everymonth. I wouldnt go if the £30 petrol bill wasnt worth it, the place saves me literally hundreds of pounds a year.
Dont get me wrong some of its junk, some of its tat - but even more of it is top class stuff at trade prices.

DISCLAIMER: Some months I've been and its a bloody joke, some months only a few traders turn up and takes less than 30mins to scan round. Then others (as with this months) Im there for 3hrs and still only just have enough time to glance at stuff hoping to see what im after while I do.

I *think* YC Tom the Great and Roberrrt may be coming with me next time... meet at yours for a brew before hand? (9am)