PDA

View Full Version : slightly surprised........

rictus01
27-09-11, 07:15 AM
I've never seen it so quiet, normally there's a AR buzz after the event and suggestions for the following year, or have I missed something......:smt102

orose
27-09-11, 12:15 PM
You and me both, I think...

maviczap
27-09-11, 12:25 PM
Yep, its very quiet

missyburd
27-09-11, 01:03 PM
Maybe this year's AR was so staggeringly good that nobody can top it... prove me wrong then ;)

dizzyblonde
27-09-11, 06:39 PM
I've never seen it so quiet, normally there's a AR buzz after the event and suggestions for the following year, or have I missed something......:smt102

You and me both, I think...

Yep, its very quiet

Maybe this year's AR was so staggeringly good that nobody can top it... prove me wrong then ;)

SHhhhhh you might wake em all up, they're snoozing after all that cake

Although have to admit, its a bit poor

AHHHH welll........You and Me for next year eh Oli????:cheers:

And Miss YC.....nobody can prove you wrong on that....twas the best one EVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR, so perhaps folk might be put off for ideas?:smt102

orose
27-09-11, 06:43 PM
AHHHH welll........You and Me for next year eh Oli????:cheers:

If no-one else fancies it, I don't mind running the same weekend again. Maybe we'll take in some of the new extension to the national park that was on Look North earlier...

andrewsmith
27-09-11, 06:59 PM
Yorkshire wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

Oli how far they extended the national park? I know its going quite far north

orose
27-09-11, 07:09 PM
I can't find the details, but it looked like it might extend out by quite a way into Cumbria

andrewsmith
27-09-11, 07:13 PM
That was similar to what I read

dizzyblonde
27-09-11, 07:43 PM
If no-one else fancies it, I don't mind running the same weekend again.

I've still got the marquee...provided it doesn't rot over winter in the shed, and access to all that lovely food at the wholesalers......although i might not buy so much bread next time:rolleyes: but defo one more cake:smt040

andrewsmith
27-09-11, 07:44 PM
finished the breadbuns yet??

dizzyblonde
27-09-11, 07:48 PM
Lol, I distributed them to the needy......the YCs, us, my parents, me gran!

missyburd
27-09-11, 07:53 PM
Lol, I distributed them to the needy......the YCs, us, my parents, me gran!
We still have a couple of packs inthe freezer :P

orose
27-09-11, 08:26 PM
More seriously, I don't think I've ever been to East Anglia or the extreme South West on the bike...

dizzyblonde
27-09-11, 09:24 PM
You didn't do Somerset did you?

Don't think theres anyone from further South Westerly than that is there?

orose
27-09-11, 10:08 PM
Well, I was thinking where I haven't been, so no... :p

I was wondering if any of the EAR crew were paying attention - it's worth a shot

Bluefish
27-09-11, 10:20 PM
Hello i'm here lol

Supervox
28-09-11, 06:33 AM
Well, I was thinking where I haven't been, so no... :p

I was wondering if any of the EAR crew were paying attention - it's worth a shot

Not exactly EAR but AR09 was down in this part of the world - well Essex with a few hundred yards of Suffolk thrown in for good measure !

I have a plan to bring the AR back to this part of the country but figured 2012 is too soon. I'd like to go somewhere daaan Saaaf or Saaaf West but as always, it's dependant on someone (or a group) willing to take it on.

SoulKiss
28-09-11, 06:46 AM
I am still considering a "London 2012" bid, tho more close to London than actually in it.

Just weighing up if I will have the time to organise.

Luckypants
28-09-11, 07:42 AM
I'd like to do one in N. Wales, but its too soon after AR10 to bring it to God's own country again. Also, I really wont have time this year....

AndyBrad
28-09-11, 09:49 AM
i liked this years. But i also liked essex? and then there was the GM... only one way yo decide?

btw i think it could be improved upon by having nice weather and taking in some of the more challenging roads we have? just a thought. i like the idea of the coast as well!

kellyjo
28-09-11, 10:17 AM

Im here, but not sure im paying attention :p

There are some good roads (but not a hill in sight!!) this way but whether they can be linked up to a good enough route im not sure, i'll mention it in our megathread and see what the general opinion is.

For the record, this is NOT me offering to organise AR12 :p

I think we should take it abroad....

Skip
28-09-11, 10:37 AM
It usually boils down to needing people in the local area to organise things - plus the last few years have been fairly nicely spread about so I understand people not wanting to cover old ground.

I personally think that the roads of Suffolk can yield a great rideout - but I just don't have the time (or inclination if I am honest) to organise anything :(

Owenski
28-09-11, 10:46 AM
I'd struggle to find a route as suited to my bike as that one Oli prep'd loved it, would hapily do it every year.
Steelie's already been back once and camped at the same venue.

Supervox
28-09-11, 11:04 AM
btw i think it could be improved upon by having nice weather and taking in some of the more challenging roads we have? just a thought. i like the idea of the coast as well!

The weather bit I'd agree with - but, "...more challenging roads" is at best problematic :-

What is 'challenging' for you might be downright scary for others; this along with the number of bikes involved in recent years (high point I think somewhere around the 100 mark) mean that any route has to cater for all abilities from someone who passed their test a few weeks previously to those that have been riding in all weathers for years - not an easy task I can tell you !

dizzyblonde
28-09-11, 11:25 AM
I'd like to do one in N. Wales, but its too soon after AR10 to bring it to God's own country again. ..

Wales is far far away from Gods Own Country.......;)

Messie
28-09-11, 11:32 AM
If we think of the AR as being the major meet up for most of the org, it makes sense to have it in as many different places as possible. In terms, roughly, of North, south, east and west I think it goes
AR08 South (west)
AR09 East
AR10 West
AR11 North
(I think AR07 was orth again, wasn't it? The very wet one in the same place as this year?)
So it looks to me like it's the South's turn again.
As mentioned Supervox and I have discussed the possibility of East again, but not until 2013, but that doesn't rule out an EAR proposal

Southern volunteers - PLEASE STAND UP!

AndyBrad
28-09-11, 11:54 AM
seems fair!

dizzyblonde
28-09-11, 11:54 AM
Yes AR07 was in the same place as this years.

Messie
28-09-11, 11:56 AM
And am I right in thinking that AR06 was West (ish) ? Over Ed's way?

fizzwheel
28-09-11, 12:00 PM
And am I right in thinking that AR06 was West (ish) ? Over Ed's way?

Yes, Shrewsbury ish... IIRC

fizzwheel
28-09-11, 12:04 PM
Well whilst we are talking about this, I have a possibly a controversial point. What with the Olympic's what not going on next year, are we wise to maybe take a break from AR's and skip next years ?

I'm just thinking out loud, we already have tickets for one of the olympic events and trying to fit that in, my work commitments and also the fact that Liz is on standby for the TA because of the olympics over the summer may involve trying to squash a lot in ?

Also is it wise to have it in the south where it looks to me alot of the olympic events are being hosted.

Not suggesting thatany of the above is what as a collective the org should do, just chucking my thoughts out there. Without my admin / mod hat on...

Messie
28-09-11, 12:14 PM
That's another reason why Vox and I thought 12 was not good for the South East.

How about having it at a different time of year. Seems like September has most of the good weather!

dizzyblonde
28-09-11, 12:37 PM
Well whilst we are talking about this, I have a possibly a controversial point. What with the Olympic's what not going on next year, are we wise to maybe take a break from AR's and skip next years ?

I'm just thinking out loud, we already have tickets for one of the olympic events and trying to fit that in, my work commitments and also the fact that Liz is on standby for the TA because of the olympics over the summer may involve trying to squash a lot in ?

Also is it wise to have it in the south where it looks to me alot of the olympic events are being hosted.

Not suggesting thatany of the above is what as a collective the org should do, just chucking my thoughts out there. Without my admin / mod hat on...

IMO, if you make a break from ARs for a year, they will never ever come back.
This years was particularly hairy for nerves, as I seriously thought with the current financial climate, nobody would turn up, those I thought would, never came, which I was quite disappointed with TBH. In the end, it was a very great success, some have said better than any other prior....which is kinda nice guys:D
The financial situation for many has gotten more grim, and next years prospects don't look to fruitful for events such as these, but if theres a little ray of sunshine for a weekend off from it all....the AR is a good thing to have.

I think its perhaps a good idea to have an AR on at the same time as the Olympics, as rather a lot of folk couldn't give a stuff about them, and what better excuse to get away from it.

I would agree however having it down South, although customary to move about every year, would be possibly not so great, having the Olympics on down there, might make it a nightmare to secure facilities.....and we all know how important they are to everyone these days.

Now the question is......is there anyone out there willing to make an even bigger success than it was this year? Its a pretty large torch to carry on......

fizzwheel
28-09-11, 12:38 PM
I personally think that location comes first and this relies on somebody stepping up to organise and plan it, because when it is I think must dependant on that date being available to the person doing the organising.

Again just my 2p not suggesting that this is what should happen.

fizzwheel
28-09-11, 12:42 PM
I think its perhaps a good idea to have an AR on at the same time as the Olympics, as rather a lot of folk couldn't give a stuff about them, and what better excuse to get away from it.

I think if you have it at the same time as the Olympics you limit yourself in terms of numbers and I also believe that the AR should be open to as many people as possible and by having it during the Olympic fortnight I think you might end up excluding alot of people.

I would offer the other side of that coin, there are alot of people who will have by now paid out for olympic tickets, and by having an AR during that time you'll be forcing people to make a choice. Whereas if you schedule it either side of it, you might make it accessable to more people.

Again not suggesting this is what happens, just my take on things.

missyburd
28-09-11, 12:56 PM
I personally think that the roads of Suffolk can yield a great rideout - but I just don't have the time (or inclination if I am honest) to organise anything :(
I was fortunate enough to pay a visit to John Constable country last year, it's a beautiful part of the world and if someone wanted to put the effort in organising a rideout there I would definitely be up for it.

The problem with the AR is it's becoming more and more of a difficult event to put on because so many people are increasing the standards each year. Many folk will not even want to attempt putting it on knowing how much time, money and effort is involved which is fair enough. Even though it's not intended to be, it could become unpleasantly competitive and change what it's all about which is essentially a load of folk getting together in a field and having a bimble if they're up to it. Requiring a BnB/bunkhouses/shop is really topping the high end of the scale, if the next AR was to be located in the right place it wouldn't have to be such hard work.

dizzyblonde
28-09-11, 01:35 PM
MissYC touches upon a very important point.

MONEY.

If there is anyone out there who wishes to take the AR on in future, they need to be aware its not as simple as booking a campsite, doing a route, and waiting for folk to turn up and enjoy themselves. If only it could ever be that simple.

If anyone wishes to know how much it actually cost to put on this years AR, they are welcome to PM me.

To put on an event such as this years, You need an awful lot of money in advance to secure a deposit on fields in a money earning establishment, you need an awful lot of money to put on food in advance(unless its like GG did with food van), you may need to hire or buy(as I did) a marquee to keep people dry, planning down to the very last detail, does pay off, it runs as smooth as a babes bum if you do, you need to be prepared to ride routes over and over, with lots of people beforehand, you need to visit campsites over and over, it costs time, and money and fuel.....

most of all, after putting your money on the line, you need to hope to god, that folk turn up to reimburse your advance for food and lodgings....I JUST scraped even.

Most of all, the organisers need to be very comfortable with each other, the reason why we as organisers worked together so smoothly and never fell out over anything is because there were no egos, and there was only two of us. We got on so well with it, we would most certainly be happy to do it all over again....some in the past have seemed not as fortunate as ourselves...as I vaguely remember in '08 when the farm fell through. You need transparancy in everything you wish to do, that way you never get any bickering from orgers in threads, no secrets, and many many question and answer sessions on the forum.

IF YOU LIKE THE IDEA OF ORGANISING AN EVENT, BUT DON'T HONESTLY truely HAVE THE TIME to do it........don't offer to do it, it'll turn into your worst nightmare.

Messie
28-09-11, 05:05 PM
AR09 actually cost me about £800. My own fault I guess because I wanted to give people stuff (even though people then moaned about supposedly paying for goddie bags - they didn't - I did)
Oh yeah, and all the griping about Essex...
oh, and the date arguments.

Thinking about it perhaps I don't want to think about 2013

orose
28-09-11, 05:11 PM
What you need to do next time is find someone who'll give you swag like that for free - like your local road safety partnerships.

Dave20046
28-09-11, 05:13 PM
Yes meant to say I very much appreciated the v-sponge!
One of the only bike products of that ilk I'd consider spending money on - and I'm yet to pay for one :mrgreen:

maviczap
28-09-11, 06:01 PM
Yes meant to say I very much appreciated the v-sponge!
One of the only bike products of that ilk I'd consider spending money on - and I'm yet to pay for one :mrgreen:

+1 , got any goodie bags left, never hurts to have more than 1 V sponge or chocolate :D

Dave20046
28-09-11, 07:10 PM
forgot about the chocolate. my chocolate was mouldy!

nom, nom , nom

andrewsmith
28-09-11, 07:15 PM
forgot about the chocolate. my chocolate was mouldy!

nom, nom , nom

It adds to the flavour

Dave20046
28-09-11, 07:21 PM
indeed! And it made the sheeps wool white 8)

dizzyblonde
28-09-11, 07:32 PM
EWE!!

see what I did there ;)

Dave20046
28-09-11, 07:38 PM
much appreciated:)

When is the next AR then?

Dizzy? ;)

-Ralph-
28-09-11, 08:33 PM
Other posts finally picked up the bait on this thread then! Last time I looked at it it was just Rictus OP and Orose's reply.

I'll happily organise the next AR.

I'll tell you the date,
I'll tell you what campsite we are going to, and I'll even give you the phone number so you can book you own pitch,
I'll tell you what route we are riding,
If you need any other local facilites, I'll tell you exactly where to find them (http://www.lmgtfy.com)
And finally if you have any complaints, I'll tell you where to stick 'em!

So, did I get the job? ;-)

orose
28-09-11, 08:36 PM
Works for me - it's only the AR that actually gets the democratic treatment as a norm ;)

SoulKiss
02-10-11, 02:57 PM
Other posts finally picked up the bait on this thread then! Last time I looked at it it was just Rictus OP and Orose's reply.

I'll tell you the date,
I'll tell you what campsite we are going to, and I'll even give you the phone number so you can book you own pitch,
If you need any other local facilites, I'll tell you exactly where to find them (http://www.lmgtfy.com)

Thats a LOT how my London 2012 AR bid is going to go down.

Milky Bar Kid
02-10-11, 05:00 PM
Picking up on Fizz's points about the AR and the Olympics next year, there have been a great few members on here already mentioning the fact that during the events, we won't be able to commit to going to anything. I am not allowed any AL between May til September. I can't even book time off for family weddings.

Perhaps a different weekend next year might work better. But then, as I'm not offering my time to organise it, then I can't really moan about dates.

Dave20046
02-10-11, 06:00 PM
**** the olympics

hongman
02-10-11, 10:01 PM
As long as it's sunny, I don't really care where it is. I wouldn't mind doing Yorkshire again, but in the dry!

Wales was smashing. Will never forget 1000 sheep road. Scotland was awesome too but we have the GM for that. Maybe waaaaay up norf, but then people will moan about distances.

I vote Alps personally.

AndyBrad
03-10-11, 12:00 PM
so then, where would people like it? maybe a poll is the best solution?

although actually maybe a poll as to who would like to?

orose
03-10-11, 12:26 PM
Probably wants to move the same as previous years, so the call for proposals needs to open soon.

SoulKiss
03-10-11, 01:24 PM
**** the olympics

AMEN Brother :P (+1)

so then, where would people like it? maybe a poll is the best solution?

although actually maybe a poll as to who would like to?

Doesn't matter where people want it, people need to want to do it, offer to do it, THEN we can have a poll about it.

dizzyblonde
03-10-11, 03:51 PM
AMEN Brother :P (+1)

Doesn't matter where people want it, people need to want to do it, offer to do it, THEN we can have a poll about it.

Well I wasn't going to say it first, I might get told off:rolleyes:

Not many people enthusiastically offering their time and effort either:rolleyes:

Geodude
03-10-11, 04:52 PM
What about using one of the other choices/proposals that weren't chosen for ar like Eds artnw or another? Just a thought because all the research has already been done. Or just do Dizzy's again in the dry :D

Luckypants
04-10-11, 09:48 AM
What about using one of the other choices/proposals that weren't chosen for ar like Eds artnw or another? Just a thought because all the research has already been done. Or just do Dizzy's again in the dry :D

Not many people enthusiastically offering their time and effort either:rolleyes:

Do the previous two posts not answer your question? ;)

Some one needs to put their hand up to offer to organise it.

fizzwheel
04-10-11, 10:43 AM
Some one needs to put their hand up to offer to organise it.

Just to backup what Mike and the others are saying with this, the above is the correct and only approach.

If nobdy steps forward, then we dont have an AR12 IMHO.

On the other side of it, the person that does step forward, should do freely and willingly and not feel under pressure that "There wont be an AR12 if I dont do it, so I will do it even if though I dont really want to"

-Ralph-
04-10-11, 11:51 AM

I'll tell you the date,

My post was obviously tongue in cheek, but it was intended to make a point.

Organisation of weekend rideouts needs a bit of a revolution on this forum.

There have been far too many instances of people putting their time forward, then getting slagged because they haven't chosen the right date, or location, or it's too far to walk to the pub.

There has also been a culture, perhaps created by the organisers themselves, they they are the providers, and they will provide... ie: there will be a range of accommodation options, there will be a range of food options, we will get our own field, the toilets will be less than 100yd walk, there will be wigwam and B&B options provided for the non-campers, etc, etc. It's become an organised event, not just a bunch of people camping in a field, getting ****ed and riding bikes.

It needs to break back down to basics, and the organisation be much simpler, much more like my post quoted above.

If somebody is not happy with the date, they don't go. If somebody is not happy with the camping facilities, they get the Yellow pages out and book a B&B. If they don't want to go to the nearest pub for food, they can find the nearest takeaway, or buy a disposable BBQ.

A facility provided during a weekend rideouts is something the organiser does out of the good of their own hearts for the benefit of all. It is something forum members are lucky to have to opportunity to partake in if they choose to, not something that forum members are entitled to be provided with. If you want to be entitled something on your weekend break, I suggest you go to www.superbreak.com, they'll provide all the facilities you need for a weekend, on the dates you want, in the location you want, in exchange for a few hundred quid.

These events shouldn't cost the organiser a lot of time, but they certainly shouldn't cost the organiser a penny, other than perhaps petrol money for recce's on the route and visiting potential campsites.

The rideout itself, route, TEC, markers, etc, should be the most difficult bit of it.

If your not happy with what the organiser has provided for you free of charge, don't attend. If you attend and your not happy with something, remember it wasn't something organised by a tour operator and paid for out of your hard earned.

If weekends got back to basics, and people realised that they are not 'entitled' to anything, then perhaps more people would be happier to step forward and organise them.

Skip
04-10-11, 12:00 PM
Stuff that makes a lot of sense

You have pretty much summed up my thoughts there Ralph - I said this in the EAR megathread...

Sounds like a relaxed AR to me :smile:

As a side note I don't like the "Next years AR has GOT to be better than this years or you will get shot down in flames" kind of competition that has been going on this past few years. Its meant to be a fun weekend of socialising and riding your bike on roads you might not normally ride on. Just my 2p.

BernardBikerchick
06-10-11, 10:31 AM
i think its coz we weren't there !! hehehehehe xxxxx

awwwww come on you lopt chitta chatta about :)

where we off to next yaer then ?? beckenham ??

phil24_7
06-10-11, 10:55 AM
If I wasn't getting married next year, I may have been interested in cobbling something together, but alas, I wont have any time to sort anything out! I do think this years needs to have less democracy. Just tell us what you'll do and when, and we can all decide where we want to go. No bickering or arguing, just a decision to make.

sv4me
06-10-11, 02:59 PM
Anyone up for holding it in Southport? No? Didn't think so ;)

rictus01
13-10-11, 01:23 AM
I've revisted this thread to see whether anything constructive came out of it. it would seem not, indeed quit the reverse.......

maybe take a break from AR's and skip next years ?

IMO, if you make a break from ARs for a year, they will never ever come back.

the AR is something special and IMO it's what makes the forum different from others I belong to, the name dictates the regularity and it would be a sad day if it was to fade away as I fear it might, I understand peoples reticence; suggestions of "taking a break" , quit frankly are far from helpful, it can be a large organizational undertaking, but the basics aren't hard, as has been the case the rideout has just been a focal point for a social weekend, there are a core of people that will attend just about anywhere and make it a priority, others it's far less, but as has been proved even the worst weather conditions can't put those people off that are determined to have a good time (2007 had gale and flood warnings 24hrs before), the point.... those that want to have a good time will make the effort.

I know over recent years the school holidays have precluded some from attending, which might be worth addressing, but as with the location the most important thing is to get something sorted as early as possible :smt102.

So from a practical perspective, although I've done my share in previous years, if anyone is out there and has had thoughts about sorting something out, but is a little overwhelmed by what might be involved, drop me a PM and I'll do what I can to help, or if that's asking to much, anyone with a decent campsite local to them they think might be suitable, once again, drop me a PM and I'll give them a call to see what can be arranged to get the ball rolling.

Cheers Mark

fizzwheel
13-10-11, 07:46 AM
I understand peoples reticence; suggestions of "taking a break" , quit frankly are far from helpful

So hypothetically speaking what would your suggestion be if nobody steps forward to organise next years ?

I agree with you that it is important to the forum. Its something I know alot of people look forward to attending, I also agree that sorting out dates earlier is better as it allows for planning and booking time off work etc etc.

My concern is that if nobody willingly volunteers for it, somebody feels pressured into doing something that perhaps they dont want to do and then they dont put their heart and soul into it or they have a bad experience with it, which is what I was getting at by suggesting that "IF" there is nobody to organise AR12 that there isnt one. It was a suggestion thats all. To clarify I am not saying that is what will happen, because its not down to me. All I and the other mods do is run the forum, its not our job to organise how a social event such as this is planned and run.

Perhaps time ( I include myself in this ) to draw a line under what has happened in the past and move forward in a positive way with this now.

rictus01
13-10-11, 08:28 AM
a positive way, yeah that would be nice, no hypothetically anything, I've already offered my help and an avenue for those not wishing to become involved to forward their ideas, I'd dearly like to see other members get the chance to organise an AR, should no one come forward I'll sort out something as IMO it's important beyond just talk; I've currently no idea of location or date, but hopefully a PM or 2 might help in that respect, but if not I'll pick sometime/somewhere myself, it won't be the first time I've organized an AR either locally or way up country; only this time I'm not hampered by a full length cast on my leg, be it with or without "bells & whistles", I'll make sure an AR12 is available for those who want to attend, I'm aware there are less active mods than might be gleaned from the "forum leaders" section, perhaps that's something to be addressed ? I see no need to necessarily involve mods or exclude them for that matter, we're all individuals and perfectly able to make our own choice, where as someone might not feel they can commit to the whole thing, they would be willing to take on a smaller role, you're looking at it from a single or couple of people running it, perhaps a change is needed and involving more to a lesser extent is the way forward, but I firmly believe positivity gets things done, I may not get any help from those running the place, but would at least expect a positive attitude from them, if our "super mod" is saying there isn't one and it's not my job, possibily discouraging to those thinking about it and it's not really a helpful atmosphere is it ?

Cheers Mark.

maviczap
13-10-11, 09:12 AM
If I wasn't getting married next year, I may have been interested in cobbling something together, but alas, I wont have any time to sort anything out! I do think this years needs to have less democracy. Just tell us what you'll do and when, and we can all decide where we want to go. No bickering or arguing, just a decision to make.

Easy we'll have the AR at your wedding reception =D> Just add a few guests to the list ;)

BernardBikerchick
13-10-11, 09:34 AM
wrong section!

dizzyblonde
13-10-11, 04:30 PM
Several times, myself and Oli have said we'd do it again.
The Dalesbridge Centre have come to me asking permission to quote me for their newsletter as far as my opinon on them accomodating us is concerned.. they sent me a questionnaire about what I thought about facilities, and accomodating a group etc (standard fair as far as a business is concerned) but they gave me a call a couple of weeks ago, asking if I'd mind them using my comments.
They've already suggested we were the best behaved and polite bunch they've had.We proved that we were better guests than some of their other people who were on their own!!
They were extremely impressed by how we all took over the field, and were gone in a blink of an eye, with not so much as a speck of litter left behind.

The only disappointment, is that a bunch of bikers didn't drink them dry:o
This is good, sometimes places don't always want us back or vice versa. It does help when the manager(Matt the lad with the long hair) comes from a family of bikers, so is biased, but they are more than happy to have us again ;)

So, if nobody comes forward, we'd have a think about it. I've got a few things on next year though, provided finances are in place, and we still live in the area too. both myself and Oli live more than 50 miles away from the site but as we've done it there now, it wouldn't be hard for us or someone else to take the reigns if the org fancied tackling the weather third time lucky.

missyburd
13-10-11, 05:09 PM

Should have known better then, when nearly everyone plans to ride the next day! :rolleyes:

fizzwheel
13-10-11, 05:40 PM
Is part of the issue the fact that we are discussing AR12 in the AR11 section and people are missing it ?

So would it be useful to setup the AR12 section now and then people can post in there if they wish to put themselves forward ? I'm happy to do so, if this would be viewed as being useful starting place to get next years AR off the ground.

dizzyblonde
13-10-11, 05:40 PM
.....and we brought our own ;)

maviczap
13-10-11, 05:41 PM
Several times, myself and Oli have said we'd do it again.
The Dalesbridge Centre have come to me asking permission to quote me for their newsletter as far as my opinon on them accomodating us is concerned.. they sent me a questionnaire about what I thought about facilities, and accomodating a group etc (standard fair as far as a business is concerned) but they gave me a call a couple of weeks ago, asking if I'd mind them using my comments.
They've already suggested we were the best behaved and polite bunch they've had.We proved that we were better guests than some of their other people who were on their own!!
They were extremely impressed by how we all took over the field, and were gone in a blink of an eye, with not so much as a speck of litter left behind.

This is good, sometimes places don't always want us back or vice versa. It does help when the manager(Matt the lad with the long hair) comes from a family of bikers, so is biased, but they are more than happy to have us again ;)

So, if nobody comes forward, we'd have a think about it. I've got a few things on next year though, provided finances are in place, and we still live in the area too. both myself and Oli live more than 50 miles away from the site but as we've done it there now, it wouldn't be hard for us or someone else to take the reigns if the org fancied tackling the weather third time lucky.

Well its a good idea Dizz and as youve done everything for this years AR all that would need doing was to set a date. The rideout route is already known.

4 things if you're going to run it again
1. Sort the weather out
2. I don't mind chopping the onions again
3. I won't be using the Bradford ring road to get there
4. Don't let Dave Preston have access to a loud hailer

I thought the site and location were perfect, just the weather cheated my enjoyment of rideout, so a re run of AR11 would be fine and wouldn't require too much organisation

dizzyblonde
13-10-11, 05:42 PM
Is part of the issue the fact that we are discussing AR12 in the AR11 section and people are missing it ?

So would it be useful to setup the AR12 section now and then people can post in there if they wish to put themselves forward ? I'm happy to do so, if this would be viewed as being useful starting place to get next years AR off the ground.

I didn't want to point it out.

I think so. No good having a thread such as this in a place that isn't frequented due to it having been and gone. Maybe moving this entire thread to somewhere more noticeable, will tout for some business :)

fizzwheel
13-10-11, 05:50 PM
Not sure it would be wise to move the thread, reckon its better to start again and draw a line under whats been posted in here.

SoulKiss
13-10-11, 06:06 PM
Not sure it would be wise to move the thread, reckon its better to start again and draw a line under whats been posted in here.

Open it and they will come :p

andrewsmith
13-10-11, 06:09 PM
Open it and they will come :p

+1

Also I second Mavi's last post

orose
13-10-11, 06:27 PM
+2 to that post as well - especially point 4.

fizzwheel
13-10-11, 06:29 PM
I've created the AR12 section, you'll find it here

http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=169

If theres anything else I or any of the mod team can do to facilitate getting this up and running then please dont hesitate to ask.

Like Mark, I've organised an AR before, as have some of the other mods if you want a pair of ears to listen to your idea then please shout.

Dont wait to be asked to present your idea, heres your chance to do so, so take it.

fizzwheel
13-10-11, 06:49 PM
that one is locked on purpose, just create a new thread instead of replying to the one thats already there

Bibio
13-10-11, 11:50 PM
i would like to see one in IOM or Devon.