PDA

View Full Version : paraffin or degreaser?

paiste
04-02-12, 04:15 PM
I've slowly over the colder weeks been stripping the GSXR to give it a proper clean beofer the spring. It has been a bit neglected and as a result started to go a bit furry! Would paraffin be ok to clean the engine and swingarm etc? I was also looking at "silkolene Fuchs off" de greaser to use on the insides of the fairings and general cleaning.
Anyone used fuchs off stuff? is it ok or is there better stuff? Had some muc off but it was a bit pants. Also looked at some Autosmart g101 general degreaser but apparently it's not suitable for aluminium :(

Anyone know where I can get parrafin from around hinckley??

andrewsmith
04-02-12, 04:22 PM
Fuchs is about the same as Muc off. I found muc off better.

WD40 is spot on for cleaning and for the bad stuff wurth brake and chain cleaner. I've only ever needed parafin or petrol once and that frame took about 2 hours to clean

yorkie_chris
04-02-12, 04:25 PM
WD40 is mostly made of paraffin.

White spirit, same stuff but a little lighter. Works an absolute treat.

andrewsmith
04-02-12, 04:26 PM
YC would meths be alright on the bad stuff?

joshwalker094
04-02-12, 04:27 PM
good old fairy washing up liquid and wd40 will work treat

yorkie_chris
04-02-12, 04:30 PM
YC would meths be alright on the bad stuff?

What's the point? It smells 'orrible, is really bad for you and evaporates too fast.

But it's bound to act as solvent for most stuff so crack on.

andrewsmith
04-02-12, 04:32 PM
What's the point? It smells 'orrible, is really bad for you and evaporates too fast.

But it's bound to act as solvent for most stuff so crack on.

fair point

maviczap
04-02-12, 04:38 PM
Meths is pretty pants for doing degreasing I've found.

Even worse for drinking :smt030:smt030

Specialone
05-02-12, 03:27 PM
Another here for White spirit, it's very good, I use a two inch paintbrush and it gets most crap off.

TheRamJam
05-02-12, 03:38 PM
I use paraffin when cleaning really mucky stuff. It works a treat and is fairly cheap too. Then rinse it off and a quick shampoo with SDOC100. Leaves everything shiny shiny :-)

paiste
05-02-12, 04:28 PM
Nice, thanks for the replies. Just out of interest how much should I be paying for paraffin? I've just driven past a localish garage that advertise selling paraffin. They were shut, but are renowned for being hideously expensive for petrol :rolleyes:

maviczap
05-02-12, 04:50 PM
£6 for 4 litres at my local garden centre

I'd hope to get it a bit cheaper elsewhere

aaron020873
05-02-12, 05:37 PM
good old fairy washing up liquid and wd40 will work treat

i have been told fairy liquid etc is not recomended (not sure why) something to do with the detergent i think (i may be wrong), but wd40 is great stuff, i also use mr sheen on my plastics also does a good job.

maviczap
05-02-12, 06:05 PM
Fairy Liquid and other washing up liquids contain salt if I remember correctly, so not the best stuff for bikes that go furry at the slightest whiff of salt

paiste
15-02-12, 02:58 PM
Got myself some paraffin but stop not git any cleaner/degreaser for the plastics etc. Any recommendations? Sdoc gets good reviews but seems quite dear. Anyone tried autoglym motorbike cleaner or any opinions on fuchs off?

andrewsmith
15-02-12, 03:17 PM
Fuchs off is similar to Muc off. Good on the light stuff hard work on layers of grime

fizzwheel
15-02-12, 07:04 PM
Got myself some paraffin but stop not git any cleaner/degreaser for the plastics etc. Any recommendations? Sdoc gets good reviews but seems quite dear. Anyone tried autoglym motorbike cleaner or any opinions on fuchs off?

Tried both, the SDOC whilst more expensive, is vastly superior.

TBH on my fairing I just use car shampoo which gets all the road grime off. The only place I use the SDOC is by the sidestand as I get some chain fling accumulate there.

maviczap
15-02-12, 07:06 PM
Fuchs off wasn't any better than Muc Off

Will be trying SDOC at some point, although parafin was better than Fuchs or MUC off

paiste
15-02-12, 07:49 PM
Cool. Thanks. Will probably get some sdoc then and just use it for the fiddly caked on bits.

Bibio
16-02-12, 01:26 PM
Autoglym intensive tar remover. its expensive but it goes a looooooooong way.

i pour some into a paint can lid and use a brush for the hard to get at places and its bloooody fantastic. for instance, the front cylinder area that is known to get completely grotty took about 30ml of the 325ml to get back to new looking.

for general bike cleaning i use fenwicks motorhome cleaner and the bobby dazzler to finish off. i keep my bike in a damp lockup and treated the bike to a good dose of the fenwicks bobby dazzler at the end of last season (nov) and there is not a single bit of 'furryness' to be seen and its still shining like the sun :-)