PDA

View Full Version : Chain clean and lube?

zombie
17-06-12, 08:43 AM
Hi

I have a 2005 SV. I think its pointy (I am going by the petrol tank shape, that may be wrong...)

Only been riding a year, love riding and the bike, but I am a total beginner on maintaining it.

Chain lube query please, I could not find the answer to this using "search".

I have bought some Wurth High Performance Dry Motorcycle Chain Lube. Is it just the case that I can spray this on the chain (when it is warm) and leave it to dry?

Is it essential to clean the chain first, or will this do that too? If I need to clean it, what's the easiest way? Will wiping with a towel suffice?

If I ride 40 miles a day (commuting) how often do I need to do this?

I am happy to have a go at it, but want to avoid doing more harm than good!

Cheers

Z

rictus01
17-06-12, 09:33 AM
Hi, your question is one that will divide opinion, some are rather pedantic about chain cleaning, I've not cleaned a chain in about 30 years and that was only the technology of the time ment heating solid grease to liquid form and soaking the chain in it, which now is no longer the case, whilst regular checks are the order of the day a scottoiler takes care of the chain without much else in the way of effort.

the basics for you, modern chains are normally sealed with either "O" or "X" rings which retain lubrication around the pin, it's important for chain longevity to prevent the chain seals from drying out; as when this happens the seal will dry out and fail resulting in wear prematurely, to prevent this you should lube the chain every 250-300 miles (although more often in wet/dusty/dirty conditions).

Chain lube comes it a variety of forms from a simple spray grease type to specially formulated oil types,regular application is far more important than what type you prefer, should you find the chain excessively "gritty" there is no harm in a wipe over (oily rag will do), but generally you can just apply directly to the chain.

If you are doing that sort of mileage then an automatic chain oiler might be the way to go, there are several types from a simple tube with a tap, you just open it when riding and close it again when you stop (http://www.tutorochainoiler.com/) a close design to this is the lubeman, which requires you to "squeeze" a bottle type thing every so often, various electronic versions fully automatic, Scottoiler (http://www.scottoiler.com/)/ Chaintech and motrax lubtronic; all make them, then there is the traditional vaccum activated version of the scottoiler (I use this) which is once again fully automatic and only runs when the engine is running.

HTH

Cheers Mark.

alfa.rbt
17-06-12, 09:42 AM
As Mark said it's not the end of the world if you don't clean yor chain, personaly I clean it every now and again using an old tooth brush and paraffin liqiud. I also use spray chain lube (castrol) but really keen on getting a scootoiler at some point to make my life easer.

zombie
17-06-12, 10:06 AM
Cheers guys, helpful.

Jayneflakes
17-06-12, 10:22 AM
I used to use an old tooth brush and chain cleaner, which was horribly messy, took ages and did not really do that much! I then used the same spray as you, but I was never impressed with it and my chain finally died after 16K miles!

These days I have a Tutoro Auto chain oiler (http://www.tutorochainoiler.com/) and that keeps the chain lubed and clean. As with all auto chain oilers, the key is in the initial set up and then just keeping the bottle topped up. If you are not very technical, the Tutoro is excellent because it is so easy to use and is easy to fit.

I have never used a Scott Oiler, but I understand that they are also very reliable too.

I doubt that I would go back to a Spray chain wax ever again after seeing the results of using a chain oiler. :D

ThatsTheBadger
18-06-12, 08:40 PM
I installed a scott oiler on mine, frankly I'm 1. Too lazy and 2. Forgetful enough to lube it regularly.

I just check the oiler once a week or so and check the tension is right. The V System Scott Oiler is maybe an hours work to fit? I've been really impressed and when the time comes to get another bike I'll be fitting one to my next bike too.

I used to use the spray on chain lube stuff, but it's messy and time consuming, each to their own though!