PDA

View Full Version : Daytona heated grips - any good?

bluesv k5
31-10-12, 11:17 PM
Hello good forum :)

Just wondering if anyone had a chance to try out these Daytona heated grips (http://shop.motorcyclenews.com/product/160/daytona-heated-grips)?

They are sold by the MCN shop at almost half the price of Oxford ones on ebay...

Anyone tried them?

Thanks.

DaveRushton
01-11-12, 04:42 PM
Im pretty sure there are some that are made by the same company as Oxford, but rebranded.....Cant remember the name though, they were cheap also!

DaveRushton
01-11-12, 04:48 PM
Motex or something i think http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOTRAX-GRIPTRONIC-MOTORCYCLE-HEATED-GRIPS-UNIVERSAL-FIT-FOR-22MM-OR-7-8-BARS-/180986293059?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item2a239fab43

Like those?

Elliott
01-11-12, 05:06 PM
Daytona are the bomb roxter are the Oxford ones.

alfa.rbt
11-11-12, 01:22 PM
I've heard r&g ones are good and under 40 quid as well

Tomor
11-11-12, 03:15 PM
Daytona are very good. Made in Japan instead of china.

rictus01
12-11-12, 11:32 PM
the proper Daytona grips aren't like the oxford ones, they have a straightforward rotary controller which is far more robust than the digital one oxford use, I've used the same set on 4 bikes now and haven't had a single issue, I've also fitted a secondhand set to my other bike with expected ease.

Daytona grips should have a controller that looks like this

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Daytona-Sports-Motorcycle-Heated-Grips-MADE-IN-JAPAN-/08/!Bmzmw0QBGk~$(KGrHqQOKjIEtlDYHf4IBLh!h,jJ7w~~_12.J PG

Cheers Mark.

zombie
12-12-12, 01:17 PM
It was so cold this morning.... so some heated grips questions please.

1. Are they worth it?
2. Are these Daytona ones (for the MCN link) ok having only "on" and "off" as opposed to different settings.
3. If the Oxford ones are better, which of their ones are best for the (naked) SV? (they have sports and premium tourer options)
4. Where does the controller box go. Does it need and/or come with a mount?
5. If I was getting someone to fix them, which connection is best (so they only run when the engine is on).
6. Does anyone find the bars a bit cluttered with the control box on them.

I have seen the fitting guide on the front page.

Thanks as always.

bluesv k5
12-12-12, 01:24 PM
It was so cold this morning.... so some heated grips questions please.

1. Are they worth it?
I've done 20k miles with oxfords - yes, they are worth it
2. Are these Daytona ones (for the MCN link) ok having only "on" and "off" as opposed to different settings.
Dunno, but that's what put me off these, bought R&G, yet to be tested
3. If the Oxford ones are better, which of their ones are best for the (naked) SV? (they have sports and premium tourer options)
4. Where does the controller box go. Does it need and/or come with a mount?
They usually come with some sort of bracket, up to you where you fit it.
5. If I was getting someone to fix them, which connection is best (so they only run when the engine is on).
A relay circuit, feed by the battery via an egnition - see Bibio's accessory gizmo group buy thread, looks smart :)
6. Does anyone find the bars a bit cluttered with the control box on them.
You'll get used to it.

I have seen the fitting guide on the front page.

Thanks as always.

:smt039

zombie
12-12-12, 02:41 PM
Cheers, have ordered some oxfords.

Rokerman
12-12-12, 02:59 PM
Cheers, have ordered some oxfords.

I have the newer Oxford 'intelligent' controller on my bike which is miles better than the old dial.

Shame only one grip works :-?

Dave_es94
12-12-12, 10:17 PM
My heated grips are a pain, doesnt matter what glue you use they spin eventually if you have them on

08-01-13, 10:57 AM
I have these Daytona ones and it's either burning hot or not warm enough, which in the horrible cold is fine :) In anything slightly above freezing it can get a bit painful though haha