PDA

View Full Version : Different sprockets - longer/shorter chain?

14-01-13, 02:21 PM
Afternoon

I'm looking at chain and sprocket kits. I know that I can change the low/top end by buying different front sprockets. I was wondering if I bought a sprocket with less teeth, would that make any difference in the chain that I buy...i.e will it need to be shorter/longer to represent the difference from stock?

yorkie_chris
14-01-13, 02:30 PM
Depends how many teeth difference you have

14-01-13, 02:32 PM
This is where I need to do research so will get back to you on that

14-01-13, 02:34 PM
Actually, I believe taking one off the front and adding one to the back is best so as to not add too much pressure to the bearings on the front sprocket? I stand to be corrected...

mikerj
14-01-13, 03:18 PM
Actually, I believe taking one off the front and adding one to the back is best so as to not add too much pressure to the bearings on the front sprocket? I stand to be corrected...

It won't make any difference to the bearings, provided there is sufficient adjustment available to tension the chain correctly.

It's better to add teeth to the rear than remove them from the front, simply because the smaller the sprocket, the faster the sprocket and chain wears.

14-01-13, 03:37 PM
Good call, so will the chain length remain the same? That's the information I can't seem to find

yorkie_chris
14-01-13, 05:15 PM
It depends how many teeth you change it by.

For example I think I went to 48 teeth on a naked (been a while) and increased chain by 2 links to suit. Might have got away without but hey it worked.

Sir Trev
15-01-13, 08:20 AM
I went from 15 to 16 on the front and Spannerman simply adjusted the chain tension with the available wheel travel. But as YC says it depends on which sprocket you change and by how many teeth.

Runako
15-01-13, 12:46 PM
Good call, so will the chain length remain the same? That's the information I can't seem to find

I'd advocate changing sprockets and chain at the same time (if affordable and depending on the condition). I believe the idea is new well matched compenents will wear more evenly. An old chain on a new sprocket might wear the sprocket more. By the time you're ready to change the chain you might find you'll want a another new sprocket too. Also there is a chart online (somewhere) which shows the typical length of chain you'll need for an increase/decrease in sprockets.

15-01-13, 12:57 PM
Definitely doing the two together, I want it all nice and sparkly (might buy it now but wait for the weather to pick up a bit though haha)

I honestly can't seem to find anything telling me specifics regarding these things, maybe I'm using the wrong search terminology. I'm usually so gooood at these things, too!

yorkie_chris
15-01-13, 01:17 PM
The specific thing, is it is a fixed physical relationship between possible distances between center, rolling radii of sprockets versus size of chain, number of links and necessary slack.

The easy thing is to post what configuration you want and see if anyone has done it and if they needed a different chain.

From experience, -1 on the front is fine, +2 on the back is fine, -1f +2 rear is fine, but if you want to go up more than 2 teeth on the back you might consider a longer chain. You can always cut them down...

Personally, I ended up back to stock naked gearing (15/45/110) after about 90,000 miles of p*ssing about. I also do not recommend 14t front sprockets due to the reduced wear life of these parts, however for some light users it may make no difference if the wear life would be 3 years instead of 4... for me at the time it would have made a difference measured in months, not acceptable.

trudd
15-01-13, 01:20 PM
I haven't looked into it really but a friend sent me this link the other day which apparently will tell you if you need a longer chain when you put all the parameters in.
gearingcommander (http://www.gearingcommander.com/)

15-01-13, 01:22 PM
Took one look at that link, had a mild epileptic fit due to the colours, had a mild breakdown due to the info it needs and then decided to close it before I had a mild stroke. Will come back to it some other time, many thanks :)

yorkie_chris
15-01-13, 01:22 PM
It will tell you the difference in theoretical center distance needed. You can look at this (only with a NEW) chain to see the difference in center distance if your proposed new configuration will have enough adjustment either way to get the chain loose enough at first and still have adjustment left.

It will NOT tell you exact answers, there are too many variables. For example... shock length makes a big difference.

Runako
15-01-13, 03:30 PM
Thats the site I was on about. Its not that complicated if you take your time. YC is right. But it will give you a good starting point. You should get a longer chain and remove links if necessary but the trick is to get it close. You should be able to get it down to 3 or 4 links and then the rest is adjustment on the bike. What you do not want to do is get it short as you've then wasted a chain.

yorkie_chris
15-01-13, 03:30 PM
A 3 link difference is NOT ok.

Runako
15-01-13, 03:33 PM
A 3 link difference is NOT ok.

I'm saying 3 or 4 links longer than the recommendation given using the gearing commander calculator. When I fitted my new chain the garage removed two links. So it was very close and my purchased was based on this site.

yorkie_chris
15-01-13, 03:36 PM
I'm saying 3 or 4 links longer than the recommendation given using the gearing commander calculator. When I fitted my new chain the garage removed two links. So it was very close and my purchased was based on this site.

You try make a chain 3 links longer and tell me how you get on ;)

Runako
15-01-13, 03:42 PM
You try make a chain 3 links longer and tell me how you get on ;)

Don't understand. Maybe I'm missing something? I have a DID X ring. DID, or the site I used, offered a selection of chain lengths. I selected the length a bit longer than the one nearest to my altered gearing based on the gearing commander recommendation due to hearing stories about people having a nightmare after finding theirs was too short. Didn't fit myself, but the mechanic said they only had to remove a couple of links. So I took it that the calculator worked.

yorkie_chris
15-01-13, 03:47 PM
I've fitted someone a rear sprocket on a stunt CBR the size of a plate at a seppo breakfast... that needed something like 14 more links... absolutely no problem.
I fitted a chain to mine with 2 more links, worked fine.

Go make say a 109 link chain and try rivet the ends together :-P*

*I've seen someones face when they've done it, they're almost guaranteed to say "f***" many, many times as they realise they've just knackered a £100 part...