PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket road legal full exhaust system for Pointy?

Vinc
19-02-14, 10:08 AM
Hi Guys.

Is there such a thing as a full exhaust system for the sv650 which is road legal in the UK?

I dont have the OEM system, and need to replace the full racing system I have. Can I avoid buying a second hand OEM, for the sake of the pipes?

Cheers

johnnyrod
19-02-14, 10:17 AM
Can't you just whack an E-marked can on it? That's really the legal bit, you could make your own headers out of toilet rolls and it would still pass an MoT with an E-marked can. Otherwise to be honest a full system is an expensive thing, you'd be better buying a secondhand OE one and changing the can if you must.

atassiedevil
19-02-14, 10:19 AM
Is the end can detachable? If so, just replace that for a more road legal one.
Problem solved.
Others will be along shortly to discuss the merits of their preferred systems and finishes ;)

Vinc
19-02-14, 10:24 AM
For some background: I have a full m4 highmount system. For practical reasons I want a std mount, but I cant get different link pipes from M4, they dont do conversions from highmount to std.

Johnnyrod: It's not the MOT I am worried about - for some reason I passed that just fine the last time around.

atassiedevil: I could probably remove it at the link pipe, but the down pipes are custom aswell, so I doubt they would play well with others.

maviczap
19-02-14, 11:06 AM
Get someone to make you a low level link pipe if the headers have a seperate link pipe, I'm not familiar with the M4 pipework.

Or get a set of OEM header pipes & stick your end can on them.

They're stainless, so will polish up nicely, so don't be put off by cruddy pipes going cheap

Nobbylad
19-02-14, 11:23 AM
I'm sure you could find someone to take your full race system in exchange for their full standard system.

atassiedevil
19-02-14, 11:40 AM
Is this a curvy or pointy by the way? End cans come up quite cheaply, and i am sure you could find a set of original downpipes for not too much on ebay. Yes, it would be mix and match, but it would keep the price down.

johnnyrod
19-02-14, 12:43 PM
I would think the collector and link pipe are in one piece. As said aboce you'll get a decent price if you sell the whole system, it's probably a few kg lighter than OE but does that bother you? Either that or you could (get someone to) chop off the link pipe and make up a new one welded to your collector, so it sits in the right place. If you were feeling flush you could even think about coverting it to underseat while you were at it! A couple of folk even went for the stubby GSXR style, no idea how.

I think Micron used to do a full system? Akro do/did, but not sure if it's E marked.

Vinc
19-02-14, 12:44 PM
Nobbylad: I am sure I could - but it would probably work out in my favour if I just sold the system fair and square, with the Power Commander that has been mapped to it :)

This is a 2006 S, pointy :)

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I think I will go down the route of a used OEM system, and then a new end can :)

Vinc
19-02-14, 12:46 PM
Johnnyrod, and underseat exhaust for an sv650? Surely you would need new tail lights then?

I will ask Micron if they still do a full road legal system. Otherwise I will get something old, and something new and stitch it together in a happy marriage :)

Scoobs
19-02-14, 02:37 PM
Micron went bust in 2008!

Vinc
19-02-14, 03:12 PM
oh well...

maviczap
19-02-14, 04:12 PM
Someone like Beowulf , Pipewerx, Fuel or Motad might be able to fabricate you a full system, but it won't be cheap.

Whereas a 2nd hand OEM system won't cost the earth.