PDA

View Full Version : Cyclist v. Motorcyclist

missyburd
25-05-14, 01:55 PM
Does the biker knock the cyclist off on purpose to teach him a lesson for being on his phone? Or does the cyclist wobble into the biker after being spooked by the biker revving to alert him of his presence? Is the biker just a tosspot with an inability to filter and giving us a bad name? Youtube comments quite amusing. Discuss.

Cyclist v. motorcyclist (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYXYsjLsz78)

Kenzie
25-05-14, 02:02 PM
I don't know the ins and outs of London and motorcycles in cycle lanes but the motorcyclist should have backed off and waited until there was enough room.

Jayneflakes
25-05-14, 02:07 PM
Two wrongs don't make a right! OK the guy was on his phone (stupid because as a cyclist he is vulnerable anyway) but to hit him while undertaking rather than waiting to get past safely was stupid. My vote would be to put both of them in a cage with a hungry Leopard and see who has the stronger argument then. :smt103

Personally I would rather be safe than be in the right but hurt any day of the week. When I was taught to ride my motorcycle I came from being a cyclist and I learned early on that the roads are dangerous and every other road user is a moron who wants to kill you if you are on a motorbike. Be prepared to encounter idiots and avoid them, even if they are in the wrong and you have the right of way. This guy should have avoided the cyclist who was maybe on the wrong part of the road, but with out knowing where he was turning or where he was directed by street signs this is hard to say, however he could see that there was no room and yet he still went for it. He was lucky not to hurt the guy or himself.

Both of them are mongs. :smt018

maviczap
25-05-14, 02:08 PM
I don't know the ins and outs of London and motorcycles in cycle lanes but the motorcyclist should have backed off and waited until there was enough room.

Agreed, but cyclist didn't do himself any favours by using his phone.

Poor judgement of the space available & poor undertaking by the biker

Bibio
25-05-14, 02:32 PM
is it against the law to use a phone while on a pushbike?

biker is at fault he should have waited for space to maneuver. yet again someone not paying due care and attention. add to that he almost crashed into the Taxi. with bikers like this on the road no wonder we are getting a bad rap. arzwipe as far as i'm concerned.

Brettus
25-05-14, 02:40 PM
Dangerous manoeuvre is a dangerous manoeuvre, cyclist was minding his own business. Not being aware or considerate granted but then if someone is doing 20 on the motorway you aren't obliged to ram them off the road either.

Haven't watched the video with sound on so haven't heard any excuses from either party but looks straightforward enough to me.

Kenzie
25-05-14, 02:49 PM
Apparently not illegal to use a phone while cycling.

http://www.sussex.police.uk/help-centre/ask-us/roads,-driving-and-cycling/can-i-use-a-mobile-phone-whilst-cycling

Brettus
25-05-14, 03:24 PM
Apparently not illegal to use a phone while cycling.

http://www.sussex.police.uk/help-centre/ask-us/roads,-driving-and-cycling/can-i-use-a-mobile-phone-whilst-cycling

It IS illegal to use a phone in the car but apparently I'm not allowed to ram THEM off the road? [-X :confused:

:)

Nutsinatin
25-05-14, 03:47 PM
Biker at fault, should have waited for a better opportunity to pass, not the cyclists fault but he does himself no favours being on the phone; doesn't have to be illegal to be a stupid idea, especially when you are a vulnerable road user. If he had been more aware of his surroundings he might have been able to avoid being knocked off which is always better, regardless of fault.

Specialone
25-05-14, 04:14 PM
Pains me to say but the biker was 100% to blame, pure impatience, wait 2 seconds and pull in behind taxi, job done.

I think he's a double knob for having the front to put it up on you tube.

missyburd
25-05-14, 04:21 PM
Pains me to say but the biker was 100% to blame, pure impatience, wait 2 seconds and pull in behind taxi, job done.

+1 but I don't think either party was physically hurt in the collision, so I don't think the hospital has much to do with it ;)

Geodude
25-05-14, 05:37 PM

+1 SP1 cyclist could have been hurt.

thulfi
25-05-14, 05:48 PM
Have about 4 yrs of motorcycling experience in London during uni. The biker was a total plonker. Went for a ridiculous move between the cab and the cyclist. I know this road near Buckingham palace quite well. Personally I would have waited for the silver merc driving in the opposite lane to pass, and then go a for quick safe overtake. Plenty of room and time, and not have to worry about wedging myself in between the cab and some cyclist on his phone. I think the cyclist being on his phone is an irrelevant point altogether.

Geodude
25-05-14, 05:57 PM
I don't think either party was physically hurt in the collision, so I don't think the hospital has much to do with it ;)
:p:D;)

Specialone
25-05-14, 06:00 PM
+1 but I don't think either party was physically hurt in the collision, so I don't think the hospital has much to do with it ;)

Dunno what you mean :confused:

Ps, damn auto correct.

Geodude
25-05-14, 06:05 PM
Ha took me three attempts to spell it right sp1 ;)

Specialone
25-05-14, 06:09 PM
My phone will not accept the correct spelling for some reason, it's still trying to spell it the other way lol

Brettus
25-05-14, 06:35 PM
LOL your smartphone just lost some IQ points ;)

missyburd
25-05-14, 08:05 PM
haha Phil, abusing mod privileges there, editing my quote! :-P :mrgreen: But anyway, enough of the derail...

Stenno
25-05-14, 08:20 PM
The more I watched it the more I think the biker did it deliberately, although I suspect he just expected to give the cyclist a scare rather than knock him off completely.

The biker was quoted on the Hyperstrada forum saying that he sets his mirrors at cyclist elbow height, which makes me think even more so that it was deliberate.

I hope the cyclist uses the video to go to the police or a civil court!

Mrs DJ Fridge
25-05-14, 09:51 PM
The more I watched it the more I think the biker did it deliberately, although I suspect he just expected to give the cyclist a scare rather than knock him off completely.

The biker was quoted on the Hyperstrada forum saying that he sets his mirrors at cyclist elbow height, which makes me think even more so that it was deliberate.

I hope the cyclist uses the video to go to the police or a civil court!

I have to say I agree with you Stenno, I also think he was going for a scare and mis-judged it, but what a fool to post it on YouTube.

DJFridge
25-05-14, 09:52 PM
Posting that video was about as dumb as the people who post vids of themselves doing 120 then wonder why they get arrested. Biker more in the wrong than the cyclist. Actually, for a London cyclist he was quite well behaved (ignoring the phone bit). Slightly worried by the comments on the YouTube site, some of those people seemed awfully worked up.

Specialone
25-05-14, 10:36 PM
haha Phil, abusing mod privileges there, editing my quote! :-P :mrgreen: But anyway, enough of the derail...

Purely putting a faux pas right ;)

Biker Biggles
26-05-14, 10:32 AM

Quite so.But he was on a Ducati so posing it on utube is mandatory.;)

Grant66
26-05-14, 11:03 AM
From what can be seen in the video, agree the motorcyclist is 100% in the wrong and could easily avoided a collision with a small amount of consideration.

What I can't make out is why the cycle lane is in the middle of the road and doesn't continue after the junction, where was the cyclist intending to go? What were the road planners thinking?

Dipper
26-05-14, 04:02 PM
What were the road planners thinking?

In most parts they don't think, in fact I would be very surprised if people who cycle are ever involved in the planning of these things, at best most are useless, at worst dangerous. As a cyclist they can cause real headaches, if you use them you put yourself in danger, if you don't, the "why don't you use the cycle path" brigade feel you are fair game...

maviczap
26-05-14, 04:29 PM
In most parts they don't think, in fact I would be very surprised if people who cycle are ever involved in the planning of these things, at best most are useless, at worst dangerous. As a cyclist they can cause real headaches, if you use them you put yourself in danger, if you don't, the "why don't you use the cycle path" brigade feel you are fair game...

Yep, they begin in one place, go onto pavements, then back onto the road.

I don't mind the one running through my town, as its pretty wide & the cars tend to keep out of it.

I did have one knob head in a cage shout at me to 'keep in the bike lane' once, just after I'd had to go round a car parked in the bike lane WTF :confused:

AJC
26-05-14, 05:39 PM
Biker 100% in the wrong as far as the incident is concerned, he hit the cyclist who was clearly within his cycle lane. Worse is while I don't think he actually tried to knock him off he was clearly trying to pass as close as possible and scare the cyclist - or a punishment pass as we call it in the trade.

Yes the cyclist is being pretty stupid holding his phone while in traffic but last I checked this isn't an excuse to endanger someones health. Maybe overegging it but in my opinion that sort of thing could end up with a cyclist falling over into oncoming traffic with dire consequences. All because some impatient muppet wanted to make some sort of point...

Had it happened to me I'm not sure I would have kept my cool at all let alone argue so meekly as the cyclist did, I think he felt with being on his phone he didn't have a leg to stand on. That being said had I pulled up next to said cyclist at the lights I would be quick to let him know how much of a poor show it was to be using his phone while effectively in the middle of the road.

Oh and cycle lanes and general road design, don't get me started. I could go on all day heh...

Bibio
26-05-14, 06:02 PM
if i see a motorist or cyclist on a phone i usually give them more room or back off. i'm not endangering my life due to some numpty not paying attention.

i dont know why people still hold phones while driving. blutooth ear pieces cost pennies these days.

kiggles
26-05-14, 07:05 PM
I hate cyclists who have no respect for the roads. I can rant all day about how I hate them.

But motorcyclist been bad there is green area on the floor for the cyclist.

100% motorcyclist fault

Dipper
26-05-14, 08:04 PM
I hate cyclists who have no respect for the roads. I can rant all day about how I hate them.

Are you saying you dislike them more than other road users who have no respect for the roads?

Bibio
26-05-14, 08:14 PM
i dislike groups of cyclists who ride 4 abreast swerving all over the road and think they are in the 'tour de fekwit' its not big and its not clever.

Aquila
26-05-14, 08:17 PM
If that was me on the bike,the biker would have got a kick in the stones,even if the old guy was on the phone,no excuse for that.You wait till its safe then make your move!