PDA

View Full Version : Insurance

Louis_
28-05-14, 10:45 AM
Just picked up my new sv650!
Yet to insure it as I can't ride it until the 10th of July :(
Is there anything I can join/do so that when I do insure my bike it'll be a bit cheaper?
On a student budget!

And I apologise for anything newbie. I'll work this forum out soon enough.

Louis

Wideboy
28-05-14, 11:25 AM
Don't crash.

davepreston
28-05-14, 11:53 AM
you'll hear IAM/ Suzuki Owners club / other training will bring down your insurance
in truth after the cost of doing said course or paying dues you don't actually get any real reduction ( please don't take that as a don't do IAM etc more training is always benifical)

the best way to bring down insurance is, thatcham approved padlocks and chains/ cat 1 immobilsers alarms / having it garaged / lower milage allowance / no pillon then just the usual the older you get more experience NCD build up etc etc

but if you want to feel better just compare the price of your bike insurance to that of a 1 litre car , you be laughing your ass off at how much you would pay to drive a cage

Louis_
28-05-14, 01:07 PM
Haha! I'll keep that in mind ta. I was intending on doing some extra skill based programmes.
Don't even have a car licence because of the price!

steady2wheels
28-05-14, 08:51 PM
Lie a lot? Tell them you only do 10 miles a year

Mrs DJ Fridge
28-05-14, 09:46 PM
I was told by an instructor who takes the courses that it will not lower your insurance enough to ever be worth it. I then went on to have a 3 hour assessment where he said my riding was fine, I think I ride more carefully now because I want to prove him right.

Littlepeahead
29-05-14, 05:40 AM
Bike safe reduced mine by £10 and cost me £50, but that wasn't the reason I did it, however you could argue if extra training makes you less likely to bin your bike and it be your fault it's a good investment.

Fitting a £300 alarm would have reduced my policy by £16 so I didn't bother.

Don't tell them you hang out with Dave Preston or they will quadruple your policy for danger money.

And enjoy the new bike!

timwilky
29-05-14, 08:12 AM
As a new rider with no NCB, there is little you can do in the time available. Apart from research.

Do you live in an a expensive to insure area? Move.

Do you have a garage? Build one.

After that, don't commute, don't have pillions. Don't go near the crash monkey Preston.

jambo
29-05-14, 10:42 AM
Have a tweak with a few things.

The first year is going to be dear, you'll have 0 months of road experience and 0 no claims discount. Not awesome.

What you can do is limit fallout going forwards. Try not to crash or get your bike nicked. If you can chain your bike to a ground anchor overnight for instance it's worth doing even if it costs more than the saving on the policy.

Similar to the above I found fitting a £300 alarm would save me £1 last time around, but some insurers won't touch you without one. Sometimes having an approved disk lock carries a similar saving but costs less, so worth thinking about. The Abus Granit range were mostly approved when I last checked.

Generally multiple security devices carry diminishing returns, so if you get £50 off for the alarm, you may only get a further £1 or so for the disc lock, ground anchor, guard dog and cylon robot standing on defence duty.

Do you have anyone else in your family with a bike licence? When I got my 1st car adding various parents and other oldies as named drivers knocked a chunk off.

Jambo

kiggles
29-05-14, 11:45 AM
insurance is going to be expensive.

Don't crash. will be cheaper if you dont, trust me i crashed twice and still got 0 NCB

Nutsinatin
29-05-14, 05:29 PM
Big money savers for me were alarm (I bought a bike with one fitted, saved me about £200 in my first year) disk lock saved a bit too. Avoid any bike mods bar crash protects and that will help keep the price down. Check what the insurance company define as a garage, some will accept a shed or give you a reduction for a shed. One company would accept five sheets of wood screwed together as a shed. Also look up some speculative quotes, give them a call and ask them what you can do to reduce your premium, some can be very helpful.

PyroUK
29-05-14, 06:39 PM
Mods don't necessarily mean more premium, some insurers allow up to 5 mods of certain types with no increase, generally they are things like grips, crash bungs, scottoiler etc.

Otherwise as all the others said there isn't much to do in the first year.

Shop around, a lot, then once you get good quotes, call them up and negotiate, once you have done that call the others with the best quote and see what they can do to match or beat it.

Oh and welcome! You'll love the sv