View Full Version : To all the scientists of the ORG

davepreston
03-06-14, 11:18 AM
Pull your fecking fingers out will ya

all I want is three things:
a teleporter
a time machine
and a hover bike

what have you lot been playing at , seriously. you get billions in funding and have nothing but spare time (cos lets be honest your not a bunch of chick magnets now are you) so where are my inventions

set down your brews (which you haven't earned yet) and your laser cut pastrami sandwiches (cos your not using this equipment for useful purposes) and get cracking

or god help us if we have to rely on the enginqueers to build them

your for-fathers made promises its time you kept them, its like your purposely spitting on my childhood dreams ya bunch of slackers

yours ,
DP

carelesschucca
03-06-14, 11:22 AM
Dave you're bad enough on a normal bike. Imagine you crashing a hover bike?

ClunkintheUK
03-06-14, 11:30 AM

a teleporter
a time machine
and a hover bike

You mean like one of these:

http://www.hover-bike.com/

davepreston
03-06-14, 11:34 AM
no like this
http://www.genesoul.net/sketches/images/hover_bike_concept_03b.jpg

ClunkintheUK
03-06-14, 11:37 AM
Ahh, now you are arguing over specification. I agree, your one would be much more fun.

Bibio
03-06-14, 11:40 AM
i had an idea for perpetual motion but the RSPCA stepped in and said no.

Spank86
03-06-14, 12:05 PM
If we're working on the second one there's no point working on the other two.

Jayneflakes
03-06-14, 12:09 PM
Teleportation is in development, so far what has been teleported has been small particles, but you have to start somewhere. Given that to teleport you would need to break down and encode the full human form, turn this data into a signal, send it somewhere probably via the phone line and then reassemble the data into a living thinking human being. I am not sure that I want to travel like that, I enjoy going on aeroplanes too much.

Time travel is possible and has been recorded now. The faster you go, the more pronounced the time effects are. A pair of synced atomic clocks were experimented on and one of them was sent on a high altitude flight and when it returned the difference between them was measured. It was only a picosecond or two, but it proved that speed has an effect on time. The closer that you are able to move to the speed of light, the more the effect is apparent. What this means is that travel into the future is possible, but travel into the past is not. Given that time works on a cause effect line, that moves in one direction only, travel backwards upon it is impossible.

Hover bikes? Have you heard of the Ekranoplan? This uses the ground effect that produces a cushion of air under the wing of the vehicle, but this is not produced by fans or motors but simply by the effect of air pressure under a low flying craft. These vehicles are capable of great speed and by flying at less than six feet they do not require huge wings. However braking is difficult and as soon as the ground below the craft gets rough the ground effect is reduced making the craft less efficient.

I hope that this is helpful to you.

Jayney B.Sc. Hons PGCE

PS, my degree was in environmental science and is in effect a toilet paper degree and is all but worthless twenty years after I graduated, this is why I trained as a teacher. :smt061

Spank86
03-06-14, 12:19 PM
What this means is that travel into the future is possible.

If it wasn't, we wouldn't get much done.

Given that time works on a cause effect line, that moves in one direction only, travel backwards upon it is impossible.

Even Einstein couldn't prove that, In fact there are no physical laws preventing time travel into the past (and the possibility of tachyons which travel backwards in time have been speculated).

Jayneflakes
03-06-14, 12:27 PM
Even Einstein couldn't prove that, In fact there are no physical laws preventing time travel into the past (and the possibility of tachyons which travel backwards in time have been speculated).

I am trying to remember my reading from Stephen Hawking and another scientist called David Darling, but I was sure that this was the idea. However it has been a long time since I have read up on this, like I said I have not been at uni for twenty years except to learn how to teach!

Also Einstein although brilliant was still some way from the G.U.T. Much of what he said still stands, but as research into String theory etc becomes more advanced some elements of his work are being updated and tweaked. In school though we are still teaching more Newtonian physics than Quantum Wave theory! :smt061

Spank86
03-06-14, 12:38 PM
I am trying to remember my reading from Stephen Hawking and another scientist called David Darling, but I was sure that this was the idea. However it has been a long time since I have read up on this, like I said I have not been at uni for twenty years except to learn how to teach!

Also Einstein although brilliant was still some way from the G.U.T. Much of what he said still stands, but as research into String theory etc becomes more advanced some elements of his work are being updated and tweaked. In school though we are still teaching more Newtonian physics than Quantum Wave theory! :smt061

Even with all the advances since his time there's still no way to rule out time travel, at least for elementary particles.

On the other hand it can't be done by acceleration since whilst travel faster than light isn't possible, acceleration from below to above the speed of light is, not least due to it's infinite energy requirements if done conventionally.

jambo
03-06-14, 01:45 PM

a teleporter
a time machine
and a hover bike

Sorry sir, I've been busy sir.

Of the above the Hover bike is probably the easiest to get to, provided you don't have any concerns about range or economy (either unit or running costs).

The Time machine does require a little work on theoretical physics, as stated, our best bet so far seems to be a device that moves you at incredible speed so that by the time you get back everyone who built it has died of old age.

The teleporter is problematic, as most of the "teleportation" experiments so far have involved reading the exact state of a particle at one point and copying that state onto another particle nearby. There are a few issues with this:
1) particle by particle is a pretty slow way to read a person. You know when you take a picture and it's a bit blury because the subject moved faster than the image could be captured or how you have to stay really still in an MRI? This is going to be tricky.
2) When you've got past the above, what you've done is made a copy, as you are not sending the original matter, but the readings from the original matter. Two choices here: You now have 2 Dave Prestons, which I think we can all agree may not be the best idea ever, or the original DP stepped into a machine in full knowledge that he would essentially be flayed alive atom by atom until there was nothing left, and then hopefully reassembled elsewhere with that as his last memory. I like to be at the cutting edge as much as the next person but I see initial up-take as being low here.
3) Data storage for the capture of original particle states. But you know, data keeps getting cheaper and Amazon will probably have a solution to this that fits in a pocket by the time we've got points 1 & 2 sorted.

Jambo

Spank86
03-06-14, 02:08 PM
The teleporter is problematic, as most of the "teleportation" experiments so far have involved reading the exact state of a particle at one point and copying that state onto another particle nearby. There are a few issues with this:
1) particle by particle is a pretty slow way to read a person. You know when you take a picture and it's a bit blury because the subject moved faster than the image could be captured or how you have to stay really still in an MRI? This is going to be tricky.
2) When you've got past the above, what you've done is made a copy, as you are not sending the original matter, but the readings from the original matter. Two choices here: You now have 2 Dave Prestons, which I think we can all agree may not be the best idea ever, or the original DP stepped into a machine in full knowledge that he would essentially be flayed alive atom by atom until there was nothing left, and then hopefully reassembled elsewhere with that as his last memory. I like to be at the cutting edge as much as the next person but I see initial up-take as being low here.
3) Data storage for the capture of original particle states. But you know, data keeps getting cheaper and Amazon will probably have a solution to this that fits in a pocket by the time we've got points 1 & 2 sorted.

Jambo

you forgot 4) Heisenberg uncertainty principle, they think they have a way round that with quantum entanglement of particles but there's not actually a way to be 100% sure.

davepreston
03-06-14, 02:15 PM
I reading lots of excuses but no action, I want my hover bike nowwwwwwwwwwww

jambo
03-06-14, 02:36 PM
I reading lots of excuses but no action, I want my hover bike nowwwwwwwwwwww

You mean like one of these:

http://www.hover-bike.com/

We have one for you, you're just being fussy about the aesthetics of it.

Jambo

davepreston
03-06-14, 03:01 PM
it doesn't work by the builders own admission , fail

Spank86
03-06-14, 03:20 PM

That's not strictly true. Admittedly it hasn't ever worked but that doesn't mean it doesn't since they haven't actually tried it.

Mark_h
03-06-14, 03:22 PM
I sent you a time machine tomorrow but you didn't like the colour so I binned it yesterday.

CharleyFarley
03-06-14, 03:25 PM
^ 😄😍😳😍😄

"Gas it w###a".........

keith_d
03-06-14, 03:30 PM
I was just looking at the Specs for the Aerofex hoverbike and they're aiming for at a rated power of 85kW.

I'm thinking it's only a matter of time before Yorkie Chris shoehorns a CBR1000RR (133kW) engine into it. That might work for DP.

jambo
03-06-14, 04:05 PM

That's not strictly true. Admittedly it hasn't ever worked but that doesn't mean it doesn't since they haven't actually tried it.

My reading is as per Spank's.

It should work, it's just they've been cautious, least someone they care about gets hurt. Clearly there's an opportunity for you to help them move their testing forward :)

Jambo

Spank86
03-06-14, 04:10 PM
Personally I think that what that thing needs is me in a motorbike helmet, jacket, and a lot of bubble wrap, that should satisfy health and safety concerns.

jambo
03-06-14, 04:13 PM
DP's keen on the product, I think we just go straight to Customer Acceptance Testing :D

Jambo

davepreston
03-06-14, 04:22 PM
I was just looking at the Specs for the Aerofex hoverbike and they're aiming for at a rated power of 85kW.

I'm thinking it's only a matter of time before Yorkie Chris shoehorns a CBR1000RR (133kW) engine into it. That might work for DP.

see god help us waiting for enginqueers to do it

BBadger
03-06-14, 05:29 PM
god help us if we have to rely on the enginqueers to build them

this is why i stuck with chemistry, so much easier to get rid of the people you dont like with whats under the sink then play with bikes in peace and quiet.:smt040