PDA

View Full Version : When is the conviction date?

Phoenix22
05-06-14, 08:34 PM
Upon renewing car/bike insurance when asked for conviction dates of any offence, when is it?

When issued with NIP?
When offered to pay fixed penalty within 28 days as an alternative to court?
Upon paying offer of fixed penalty within 28 days as an alternative to court?
Upon posting licence within 7 days of paying fixed penalty?
Assuming you ignore all of this..your day in court?
The day they stamp your licence with the points?

Knowing how insurance companies will take any tiny excuse for not paying out and given that there are a few weeks between item 1 and 6, which one do you give to be actually correct?

PyroUK
05-06-14, 08:45 PM
I can only answer with certainty on point 5/6. My conviction date was the date I went to magistrates and they wrote the points on the licence.

It won't be the NIP that's for sure though

Red Herring
05-06-14, 09:09 PM
Have a look on your driving licence counterpart, 2nd column, date of conviction.

Phoenix22
05-06-14, 09:55 PM
Have a look on your driving licence counterpart, 2nd column, date of conviction.

Have'nt got it back yet, just sent this morning just within 7 days of paying the fixed penalty. I could have not sent it and awaited court instead. So still have no conviction date to declare to my insurers.

MisterTommyH
05-06-14, 10:39 PM
I'm sure the question I've always been asked is something like

"Have you had any convictions in the past 5 years or are you aware of any pending prosecutions".

If you don't have a conviction date then you can tell them what you've told us.

If you're trying to do this through an online form, and there's not a box for it... try interacting with a person... That way you can tell them the truth and it's up to them what they fill in on the computer their end.

Phoenix22
05-06-14, 10:48 PM
'Try' being the important word here. Yes and the phone lines seem to be unmanned even tho' my call is very important to them!!

MisterTommyH
05-06-14, 10:56 PM
Fair point. If I couldn't talk to my insurer though I wouldn't be using them. How on earth would I contact them when my bike or car is stuck in a hedge somewhere and I need rescuing, recovering, claim assistance, anything else like that. Not that I intend to be in that position, but thats what the insurance is for (apart from the fact I have to have it).