PDA

View Full Version : Laws criminalising 'bikies' in Australia

ChrisCurvyS
07-06-14, 09:16 AM
Had no idea parts of Australia had passed laws banning motorcycle clubs congregating in public and barring club members from certain trades. Have a butchers at this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7r_Sq_T-A8

I'm no fan of the less savoury elements of the MC scene but this 'guilty until proven innocent' approach seems very wrong and I'm surprised Australian law allows it.

Seems like a classic case of needing more enforcement of existing laws, rather than creating gimmicky new ones to grab the government a few headlines and look like something's being done.

More importantly, how wrong does the term 'bikies' sound?!

JulesW
07-06-14, 03:24 PM
Bikies, so very, very wrong!

davepreston
07-06-14, 06:59 PM
they take the 1% thing to the extremes out there so I can understand it to a certain extent , as for will it work , I very much doubt it, bikies lol id start a riot for being called it lol

ChrisCurvyS
07-06-14, 10:24 PM
they take the 1% thing to the extremes out there so I can understand it to a certain extent , as for will it work , I very much doubt it, bikies lol id start a riot for being called it lol
I since watched a Kilroy-style public debate show where a 1%er demanded a policeman stop using that 'demeaning term' lol.

Yeah there seem to be plenty of nasty fellas (to quote Fargo) out there, trying to pretend they're everyday motorcycle enthusiasts in this vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHLtszxrANA

But then didn't Chopper Read in his final interview confess to murdering the head of the Aussie Rebels for pretty much FA in 2002 and nothing ever seemed happened to him? Which shows the bikies criminal power isn't perhaps as comprehensive as it's made out?

Suppose the one advantage they've got is that the criminal element can utilise a pre-existing secretive network.

garynortheast
08-06-14, 08:30 AM
I have to say that that video perfectly illustrates a side of motorcycling I truly despise. The phony camaraderie, intimidation of people generally and the indulgence in some pretty foul criminality for greed and self interest.
Mind you, that description could apply to a number of supposedly respectable sections of society too......

Bibio
08-06-14, 11:18 PM
filthy bikies, they should all be rounded up and shot. how dare they be different.

L3nny
09-06-14, 12:51 AM
Legalise drugs, problem solved

BanannaMan
09-06-14, 01:35 AM
Ban the sale of all Harley Davidson motorcycles and parts.
They'll all be looking for a new 'lifestyle' by the end of summer.

ChrisCurvyS
09-06-14, 08:03 AM
They don't elaborate but in one of the vids they mention the laws requiring people having to prove they're not criminals if stopped on a Harley.
Can you imagine over here all the accounts and mid-life crisis types...

ophic
09-06-14, 10:43 AM
No you'll just have to go to your local gang clubhouse to get parts on the black market.

Probably cheaper than Harley retail.

Viney
11-06-14, 02:01 PM
They'll all be looking for a new 'lifestyle' by the end of summer.What are all the City Bankers going to buy then?

NTECUK
11-06-14, 03:30 PM
"Nutbush City Limits"
"Twenty-five was the speed limit, motorcycle not allowed in it"
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/4/42/Tina_Turner_-_Nutbush_City_Limits_%28Live%29.jpg/220px-Tina_Turner_-_Nutbush_City_Limits_%28Live%29.jpg

SvNewbie
11-06-14, 07:47 PM
Laws to criminalize being a criminal? Makes sense.