PDA

View Full Version : Celebrity endorsements

allantheboss
18-06-14, 01:23 PM
http://dtzkmyuyshrc2.cloudfront.net/bundles/piaggiomotoguzzi/img/content/hp/en/03_1280.jpg

Does anybody ever seriously look at an ad like this one and honestly think "wow, they just happened to catch him in his garage working on his bike, dressed like that. He must ride that bike in real life. I'm going to buy that brand of bike"? They're not fooling anybody, and the way the pic is contrived immediately tells me it's just another celebrity posing for cash. Very poor advertising in my opinion.

Or, very good advertising, because they intentionally made a sh*t advert so that people would get talking about the brand..... interesting.....

Sid Squid
18-06-14, 04:10 PM
McGregor has owned Guzzis for a while - used to see him around Primrose Hill and Camden on one.

davepreston
18-06-14, 04:15 PM
wouldn't you do everything possible to shake the stigma of being a BMW riding winker :)

no no everyone I ride a moto guzzi :)

jambo
18-06-14, 04:17 PM
If I could get paid to stand in front of a Guzzi, I would.

It's unlikely I'll buy one just because Ewan is stood beside it, but it's a more authentic relationship he has with the brand than I'd have if I was stood in front of one, so fair play.

Jambo

Littlepeahead
18-06-14, 04:34 PM
Mmmmmm Ewan, yummy yummy Ewan, sorry did someone say something about motorcycles I hadn't noticed any?

CharleyFarley
18-06-14, 05:29 PM
Mmmmmm Guzzi.....yummy yummy Guzzi...... sorry did someone say something about a celebrity I hadn't noticed any? 😊

"Gas it w###a".........

Wideboy
18-06-14, 07:33 PM
they couldn't get a picture of him with it riding it outside of a workshop, it wouldn't start.

Bibio
18-06-14, 07:39 PM
all i can say is... Belstaff became very popular after Ewan done that TV thing.. coincidence, i think not. yes people are are that gullible to what they read and see in magazines. dont underestimate the power of vanity....

ophic
18-06-14, 08:23 PM
They're just creating a brand image that people will think of when thinking about them. Simple marketing tactic. They don't necessarily think you will believe it, but nevertheless it's an associated image.

Same as for perfume and cars really. My dad goes nuts at car adverts that don't actually show much of the car. Or only show bits of it at a time. It's because the ad is not selling the car itself, it's selling a feeling.

They've realised that many folks buy with their heart and not their head.

Yeah I don't get it either. We're on an SV forum after all :rolleyes:

Littlepeahead
18-06-14, 08:41 PM
At least he genuinely owns and rides them, and has done since before they sponsored him. A case of a company realising someone famous liked their brand and asking them to become an ambassador, more authentic than some sponsorship. Do we really believe that Nicole bird who dates Lewis Hamilton eats Muller yoghurt in the back of her limo?

Mrs DJ Fridge
18-06-14, 09:57 PM
Surely the fact that we are discussing this advert means that it has succeeded in reaching the bike riding public, as in not just people who live in fancy bits of London who work in the entertainment industry.

DJFridge
18-06-14, 10:07 PM
At least he genuinely owns and rides them, and has done since before they sponsored him. A case of a company realising someone famous liked their brand and asking them to become an ambassador, more authentic than some sponsorship. Do we really believe that Nicole bird who dates Lewis Hamilton eats Muller yoghurt in the back of her limo?

No, surely she eats Lewis' yoghurt in the back of her limo;)

Back to the original point, as cool as I thought the JPS Lotus F1 cars of the 70s and early 80s were, they never made me want to smoke. However, if they had no effect on anyone, I don't think cigarette companies would have spent millions just so the cars looked cool. It's all about brand awareness and perceived brand values. People who identify themselves with what they think Ewan MacGregor stands for may start to think that Moto Guzzi, rather than, say, Kawazaki, would better reflect how they feel they should be seen. Which sounds a bit w@nky but actually, we all do it, all the time, usually entirely subconsciously. Which is why good advertising is priceless and poor advertising, like the "You're never alone with a Strand" can kill a brand stone dead.

daveangel
19-06-14, 08:52 PM
Look at it that it's bringing motorcycling to the public whose perception of us may be of the 'power ranger lookalike going everywhere at warp speed, front wheel in the air' attitude that the media love. I don't object to he, Charley and at a push David Beckham being used to sell bikes and kit, maybe some attitudes may be softened.

20 years ago our only celebrity biker was Sgt Bob Cryer from The Bill!

squirrel_hunter
19-06-14, 10:06 PM
The trouble is I don't look at that and think "I want a Guzzi". I look at that and think "I need a rag hanging out my pocket when working in the garage". I feel this might not be what they were aiming for...

jambo
20-06-14, 10:56 AM
The trouble is I don't look at that and think "I want a Guzzi". I look at that and think "I need a rag hanging out my pocket when working in the garage". I feel this might not be what they were aiming for...

Depends, wonder if they sell a line of authentic rags :D

Jamvo

ophic
20-06-14, 11:08 AM
His expression does look like he's just spotted a rat in the far corner of the garage

CharleyFarley
20-06-14, 11:24 AM
What's the advert published in??

"Gas it w###a".........