PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone tell me the legality on...

20-06-14, 09:00 PM
...lending my friend, who's on his CBT licensey thing, a bike over 125 (i.e. my VFR750) to practice on.

I'm asking as I know a learner can drive a car as long as someone with a full license held for 3 years+ is sat in the car.

So, I've had my bike license just a snip over three years now. Do the same rules apply? Can I follow him as long as he displays L plates, has the relevant insurance etc? Or would I need to be an official motorcycle instructor to do this?

Thanks!

ManMango
20-06-14, 09:43 PM
I THINK, it has to be an approved instructor that is with the learner in question :( would be good to know though because I have a pal with a restricted bike and my DA test is in a month and It would be nice to feel his bike out for size before I begin my training.

DanSp
20-06-14, 09:49 PM
Pretty sure it says something about being in communication with the pupil at all times too?

Sent from my iPhone

20-06-14, 09:51 PM
I can buy a comms kit cheap enough. Would like to know the definitive answer to this as he's failed three times now, he gets nervous under official instruction so I reckon it'd be a bit easier with me just giving him the odd pointer.

Tomor
20-06-14, 10:29 PM
I would be very surprised if it is legal, otherwise everyone would do it, no?

20-06-14, 10:36 PM
don't see how it differs to sitting in the passenger seat of a car to be honest, in either situation - you aren't going to be taking control, just giving verbal pointers. But this is what I mean, proper clarification is needed.

ManMango
20-06-14, 11:19 PM
''If I am taking a Direct Access test can I practice on a big bike (larger than 46bhp) on my own if I have a valid CBT?

To practice for your test on a bigger bike you must be accompanied by an official, qualified DSA instructor when you ride on the road. You cannot be accompanied by a friend with a licence no matter how long they have ridden for or how experienced they are.''

Source: http://www.autotrader.co.uk/bikes/motorbike-learning/age-21-plus/motorcycle-faqs

Ch00
21-06-14, 05:46 AM
If you let him use a bike you knowing he can not legally ride that size of cc you can also be charged with allowing/ permitting driving not in accordance with a licence. So you both get done and you loose the bike.

Maybe he should try a different bike school to learn with?

21-06-14, 07:26 AM
Cool, thanks guys. Definitely won't be lending him the bike then haha

ManMango
22-06-14, 02:06 PM
If he has failed some times and gets nervous etc then perhaps you could find a school which will allow you to ride with him and the instructor? It might reassure him a bit if you where there also. Its not like you would be getting in the way or anything. Also you can then see first hand what issues he is running in to during the training etc.

22-06-14, 05:34 PM
I know what it is, he builds it up in his head and forgets it's as simple as moving forwards, keeping your distance, indicating (and therefore spamming the indicator button) and shoulder checks.

maviczap
22-06-14, 06:13 PM
As an ex CBT instructor, yes you do have to be approved by the DVLA.

The pupil has to be in contact with his instructor when being trained & also you need insurance to cover you.

My mate ran the business & I helped him out. The insurance was very expensive!

The basic CBT isn't hard to pass, but I've heard from another ex Orger who's was very disatisfied with how his girlfriend had been taught & trained.

There are several key elements to the CBT test. Some have to be done on private or off road sites & if the pupils couldn't do these elements, we didn't take them out on the road until they could.

Strangely all the female pupils were much easier to teach than the blokes.

22-06-14, 06:30 PM
CBT's fine, it's his MOD2 that he keeps faffin

maviczap
22-06-14, 06:41 PM
CBT's fine, it's his MOD2 that he keeps faffin

Ahh a different problem then :smt101

Practice practice p-ractice

Matt-EUC
22-06-14, 08:21 PM
Buy the cheap comms kit and take him around on his 125. The only difference is engine size.

Unless he doesn't have a geared 125.

22-06-14, 09:31 PM
He does and he rides spot on when we're out. It'd be better if we had him on a big bike, but I'm not risking that..even in a car park or something given that it's not legal.