PDA

View Full Version : does "Physio" work?

timwilky
02-07-14, 07:30 PM
Been today

My problem is with my neck, but she attacked my shoulders with a tens machine and ultrasound, gave them a massage and stuck some sticking plaster over my shoulders. How is any of this going to help my neck? yes, I can understand the exercise I should do. But can't because it hurts to move my neck. She doesn't seem to get it.

She also "recommended" I buy egg shell membrane tables. Sounds like modern day snake oil? If this is a miracle cure for joint problems why does my GP not prescribe it?

So does physio work? Or is it simply a stalling exercise, hoping I will recover normally before she has to admit defeat and I get moved along the queue for the more expensive diagnostics/treatment.

Still only took 3 months since I first saw my gp with the pain to get to the next step in the process. The gp says she has to follow a protocol and first step is physio.

I had "physio" on my shoulder after my off 13 years ago. Still cannot use it properly, still have pain every day. Didn't work that time, can I expect any improvement this time.

Littlepeahead
02-07-14, 07:49 PM
I think it works for some things some of the time and only if you get a good one. Sometimes it's more about managing than curing too. I had daily physio after I smashed my elbow, without it is unlikely I'd have regained full movement, but I was lucky enough to have an excellent physio at work who is also my best mate at work. If I'd had a couple of NHS sessions I think my prospects were far from positive for riding again.

I have that tape stuff on a sore shoulder and it seems to help.

bobbleheadbarne
02-07-14, 08:17 PM
Sports massage and streching... helped me

Bibio
02-07-14, 08:31 PM
yes physio works but only if you get the right person who knows what they are doing and what the route injury is.

DanSp
02-07-14, 08:36 PM
In my personal experience, NHS physio are a waste of time!... Private works wonders!

Sent from my iPhone

Nutsinatin
02-07-14, 08:55 PM
I wouldn't be able to walk without it (left leg twisted 140*) and neither would my dad (broken back) so it can definitely help, although my leg is still twisted 30* and he's still in constant pain. But it does depend what's up and who you get, my Dad went private and it was much better. They never seemed to work on the area directly on the affected area either, always around the area to stimulate the affected area. So definitely an improvement but can be more about managing. Unfortunately you sometimes have to move the bit that hurts as well, because that's the only way it's going to get better.

dizzyblonde
02-07-14, 08:58 PM
In the many years of having physio, I have only ever found one who truly understood my condition and could give me the expertise needed to deal with it. I will never be cured of all the muscular and joint problems I have. Its something which is a genetic syndrome and unfortunately as I have grown older, only gets worse(well, more joints go ping and add to the pile that already have).

Physio for me personally can only keep the problems I have, at a manageable level. It will never cure them.

They have started to ask me what exactly I want them to do.......so in other words, we don't have a magic wand. They also say the same for Pete. Theres sweet FA they can do for him too, and discharge him pretty much as soon as he has walked through the door. What can you say to a chap who has almost lost a leg and fights to keep it there.

NTECUK
02-07-14, 09:05 PM
I've had acupuncture.
It's more pain management for OA.
But withvery much reduced pain I've got good movement back.
This will help me post op too.

suzukiboy
02-07-14, 09:43 PM
Had NHS physio when first injured my back, also private that was much better. Had to do this prior to being referred for MRI scan, this showed true problem and no amount of physio was going to help, trouble is you need to be referred for scan and will only do that after physio, daft innit! Had to go private for MRI scan as well or join NHS 6 month waiting list. If you can get referred for MRI, it will show whats going on, nothing else will. In my case physio was exacerbating not helping condition. Good luck! And beware surgery, absolute last resort.

dizzyblonde
02-07-14, 10:04 PM
A friend of mine recently went to see an osteopath or physio, can't remember which, with shoulder and neck pain.
They told her she had a dislocated jaw, which she knew absolutely nothing about!

jambo
03-07-14, 05:20 AM
Physio can be very helpful for some issues. Unfortunately it is prescribed for more types of issue than it is able to resolve. Osteopaths are different and focus on skeletal more than muscular.

Jambo

Sent without a real keyboard

Littlepeahead
03-07-14, 05:22 AM
Similarly Stu had been in all sorts of pain in several joints for months, Doc kept prescribing nurofen then said he'd think about putting him on a waiting list for NHS physio which we knew would take a year. Instead he saw my mate at work who confirmed what we already suspected, rheumatoid arthritis. Physiotherapy would never have cured him, waiting for an NHS. One would have only further delayed diagnosis. The same physio worked out our chief executive's sore knee wasn't a tennis injury but cancer. Sometimes their experience is not in their ability to cure you but in being able to say that what is causing the pain isn't the obvious thing you and your GP think it is.

timwilky
03-07-14, 06:34 AM
Had NHS physio when first injured my back, also private that was much better. Had to do this prior to being referred for MRI scan, this showed true problem and no amount of physio was going to help, trouble is you need to be referred for scan and will only do that after physio, daft innit! Had to go private for MRI scan as well or join NHS 6 month waiting list. If you can get referred for MRI, it will show whats going on, nothing else will. In my case physio was exacerbating not helping condition. Good luck! And beware surgery, absolute last resort.

As Lynne works in an orthopedic clinic, she got two consultants to look at my x rays, they say there is not enough detail to give a full opinion and that they need to see an MRI image, but that the discs are worn and I should be referred to the spine team. I have told my GP of my inside route within the NHS and she has no problem with them having a peek at my xrays. But she says she is constrained by the treatment protocols available. She has to pass me through the referral management centre who decide the course of treatment I require. Hence community physio without a full investigation as to my problems. It appears to be a cost managed approach. If the physio fails to relieve my pain and movement issue I get passed up the chain, eventually.

NTECUK
03-07-14, 06:38 AM
Your need to get a bit of a harder approach to the NHS. It unfortunate that you will be better going private to get it properly diagnosed.

Littlepeahead
03-07-14, 06:58 AM
How short sighted to waste money on several unneeded stages of this chain. At least when we we went back to our GP and told him in quite firm words that there was no point in seeing an NHS physio for Stu's painful shoulder he did concede that if Stu had already had a couple of sessions with the man. Sachin Tendulkar was relying on for rehab then it was unlikely that an overworked underpaid NHS physio was going to have a solution, and Stu was finally sent for blood tests. He now has 12 pills a day, no pain, full movement, and is much happier. So don't give up hope Tim, a solution may be out there.

Sir Trev
03-07-14, 08:54 AM
In my personal experience, NHS physio are a waste of time!... Private works wonders!

Sent from my iPhone

Luckily when I trapped a nerve in my shoulder I went straight to private physio via GP referral. They were excellent. When I damaged a muscle in my upper arm I went straight to the sports massage therapist who came to the gym at work weekly and she was even more excellent. If you have the option Tim I'd take it or consider paying yourself.

punyXpress
07-07-14, 10:36 AM
How about Isla Scott, physiotherapist in Isle of Man.
She regularly rebuilds TT racers, so should be able to do something for you.
Have a look at testimonials.
Take your lady wife for a week to the Island and both of you have a relaxing time over there - that rules out Manx fortnight unless you dont mind attending her surgery tent in the TT paddock.
Whatever, best of luck with it

johnnyrod
07-07-14, 11:19 AM
Did the physio take a full medical history and check you over before starting? Cos if not then I'd be pretty unhappy. Iw oudl think from what you'ce said that yes physio will help relieve some pain and get some movement back, but it's not the only thing you need as you don't simply have an alignment problem or something similar that can be easily resolved.

Egg membrane what? Yeah, if were that easy they'd be putting it in our table salt I think. Is that like apples are best eaten with the skin still on? Am fairly sure peeling eggs is a good thing.