PDA

View Full Version : Complete electrical failure - Pointy.

Wa1nuts
02-01-15, 11:28 PM
Hi,

My first post on here, although browsed for a while.

I got my SV (first big bike) few months back, k6, a few extras, 24,000 on the clock. Got it for a decent price, so was happy.

I recently put a bellypan on it and purchased a Evotech tail tidy, which I attempted to fit today.

It went well, until I got to removing the number plate holder and the number plate light. The screws are knackered, so ill have to drill them out. Not too big a problem...

The next problem is the indicator storks, they are very loose in the new tail tidy. Can anyone recommend any aftermarket (UK legal) that will fit, or some sort of a packer to fit the existing ones better?

The third problem is my main one. I re-connected everything else, turned the ignition on, everything came on as it should. I tried to start engine and it shorted, everything went off and wont come back on (I assume a fuse has gone).

My question is, what caused the short? Surely the only thing I could have connected incorrectly is the indicators to the wrong side, which shouldn't affect the fuse? How do I find out whats connected up wrong? I have no idea where to start.

There was one white connector that was not connected when I started (unless came off when I took the seat off), its connected to both positive and negative of the battery. Someone suggested it may an old immobiliser that has been taken off and not important. Any other ideas...

The last problem... I am a complete dope and put the pillion seat back on and forgot to connect the release cable. Any tips to get it off again.

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks.

Red Herring
03-01-15, 12:08 AM
Hi mate,
The white connector was probably a connector for something like a Batterymate or charger, or maybe a take off for an auxiliary like a sat nav or heated grips. Don't worry about it as long as you haven't reconnected it. If you have I'd take it off again unless you are going to use it.
The indicators being connected to the wrong side won't have caused a problem with the fuse, however is it possible you have pulled or pinched any of the wires to the rear light assembly?
You need to take the seat off anyhow to get to the battery and main fuse (or at least you do on my K5 but I've moved a fair few things around and to be honest it was so long ago I can't remember where things were as standard....) and you may then be able to reach around under the rear seat unit to pull the catch to release it.

Check to see which fuse has gone, that may give you a clue as to which circuit has shorted. If in doubt disconnect everything you think might be responsible, replace the fuse, and then slowly reconnect individual circuits until you find the one that blows the fuse....

Wa1nuts
03-01-15, 02:51 AM
Hi mate.

I tried to get to the catch with my hands for the rear seats, i will try and hook it tomorrow.

Thanks for the advice, I will check and replace fuses. It was starting the engine that shorted it, could any of the rear lights / indicators be on the same fuse as the ignition? What if the battery wasn't earthed properly, or would that short it as soon as I turned the ignition on?

I will have a go at fixing it tomorrow.

Wa1nuts
03-01-15, 01:07 PM
The two 30 amp fuses under the seat are fine. Will try and get rear seat off and checo the others today.

andy1472
04-01-15, 05:56 PM
Do you know how to use a multimeter?

Wa1nuts
04-01-15, 06:09 PM
Yes, I used one years ago when I was doing my apprenticeship.

I put the key in ingnition yesterday, switched it on and everything came on again. Tried to start engine, cut out again and wouldn't come back on. Left it ten minutes, lights etc. Came on again.

I disconnected the extra wires that were connected to positive and negative and tried again, this time it started. All lights are working fine, no fuses are gone etc.

It's strange because then wires were definitely connected to the battery, but disconnected at the other end before I removed anything...

I also got the rear seat off. I had a spare one so I ended up using force and breaking it off.

So except for the loose indicators and the number plate holder screws, it's all good. Thanks for the replies.