PDA

View Full Version : Ohlins, Nitron Race or Elka 3 way

barryreynolds
09-01-15, 09:09 PM
Hi Guys,

Final part to complete my minitwin is a rear shock. I have a zx6r 2006 shock installed already but can afford to upgrade to a race shock.

Ohlins seems to be the most popular but Nitron race and Elka 3 way seem very good from other reviews. (Penske seems popular but is US i think) As it's quite a lot to spend I want to get it right first time.

Which one do you recommend?

Bibio
09-01-15, 09:21 PM
if you want the best then get a Penske 3 way.

Jayneflakes
10-01-15, 02:35 AM
I have a Penske, fitting it made me fall in love with my bike all over again, riding it made me realise what I have been missing for all of these years. If I ever have to sell the SV, I am keeping the Penske shock for my next bike.

For details, have a chat with a Mr Yorkie Chris who got it for me.

SV650Racer
10-01-15, 12:11 PM
The Nitron works very well, either the track or the race. Alot of people run them in Minitwins and the bikes we run in the class now use them unless they come with an Ohlins already.

barryreynolds
10-01-15, 08:03 PM
Hi Steve

Thanks for replying. The nitron seem good and around £850 inc vat

Penske are £875 +vat http://www.penskeshocks.co.uk/motorcycledamper/damper/3way/

I'm not sure which ohlins is the correct one?

And Elka seem the cheapest at around £600 inc.

Is the Penske or ohlins worth the extra money over the Elka or is the nitron as good?

Also nitron race or track?

Many thanks if you take the time to reply : )

barryreynolds
10-01-15, 08:21 PM
Nitron race pro from bikehps is £730 inc which seems the best so far

johnnyrod
10-01-15, 09:00 PM
For track day use I have an Ohlins on my curvy. I haven't tried any of the others but this one is fabulous. Some people will say "Ohlins, okay but xxxxx is better" but once set up, the bike handles like a magic carpet steered by telepathy. I doubt it really matters which one of these you go for.

CB500Racer
11-01-15, 05:35 PM
I have an Ohlins race shock on my Minitwin, (Model number S46HR1C1L) it came withe the bike. it's adjustable for everything and the bike handles fantastic. It did cost me about £200 to get it serviced. If I was in your position though and had to buy one I'd get an Elka 3 way and spend the rest on the front forks as they are woeful in standard road trim.

best of luck John

barryreynolds
11-01-15, 09:24 PM
Thanks for model number for Ohlins - S46HR1C1L

Found this for £880 installed.

Is this the best Ohlins? I already have cartridge forks for the front and don't mind spending the money if it going to be the only one i'll need for the next 2 / 3 years so looking for the best one.

People in the UK seem to say Ohlins is best as it's easier to find people to service and set up where as penske is more for an American market

johnnyrod
12-01-15, 10:01 AM
For starters the curvy and pointy ones are different and you haven't told us which you have! Speak to Ohlins or one of their dealers and check it out. You may also want a non-standard spring for your weight. In terms of the shock itself they probably only do one for the SV from memory (one for each version of bike I mean).

barryreynolds
12-01-15, 10:06 AM
It's a 2002 curvy

aoleks
13-01-15, 09:53 PM
just an opinion, in case it helps. I just installed an ohlins shock on my sv (pointy) and the difference is day and night. so much more comfort and stability, incredible. and I didn't even have time to set it up properly, so go figure. I got the shock on ebay, £200, looks like new.

in my opinion, every respected brand will do the job, as long as it's adjustable, but if you have the chance to get an ohlins for a decent price, go for it!

barryreynolds
13-01-15, 10:56 PM
Cheers for the advice, i'm going to go with the Nitron race pro http://www.nitron.co.uk/pwpcontrol.php?pwpID=17764