PDA

View Full Version : Inspiration for paintwork

SoullessToaster
03-02-15, 06:48 PM
Ok guys, ive just bought a 1999 SV650S.
I'm planning on turning it into a real show stopper, and first things first, i want a real show stopping paint scheme... But i don't have a clue what colour to go.
I'd like a unique colour, so not a red or green etc. Something that you don't see very often at all.... But not purple...
A rider whom a completely despise rides a purple bike.

**insert flashback moment**

When i had an issue that resulted in a very large fire on a bike in the past, i rang her for some help as she was only 10 miles away. She just said "not my problem, don't care..."
I'd been on fire!

So yeah...... not purple...

Any other suggestions? or has anyone done a really out there paint scheme on their bikes and want to show me for some inspiration?

Cheers

Toaster

SIII
03-02-15, 07:05 PM
Realtree !!!

Then you can park it next to any bush or shrubbery and no one will be able to see it and therefore not steal it !!! (Like your last 2 bikes )

Sorry, not much use, I know.

jambo
03-02-15, 07:20 PM
Consider getting it vinyl wrapped. You can then do some quite loud colour schemes and change them more easily than paint.

Jambo

Sent without a real keyboard

Geodude
03-02-15, 07:52 PM
Where you based ST? my ex mrs runs her own motorcycle custom paint spraying shop up here in the north east.

SoullessToaster
03-02-15, 08:01 PM
I'm based near Retford, but i don't mind travelling for the right quality work.

Jayneflakes
03-02-15, 08:03 PM
The plastics, wheels and tank can be painted easily, go and talk to your sprayer and discuss colour options and have a good look at their samples. Really, it is worth the footwork because you will see some colours that you did not know could look nice. I had a mountain bike a few years ago that was coated in a beautiful satin deep blue, it looked so much like cake icing that you wanted to lick the paint, it was gorgeous. I have never seen this colour anywhere else.

You could also go for the classic two tone, central strip or even custom graphics. When I had my tank resprayed a while back, I changed the font of the Suzuki sticker on the tank. It is subtle and only a nerd would spot it, but I love it.

I used to love mural work on bikes, but in my view this has now been done to death. Every Harley riding wannabe has a tank air brushed by "Dave in the back of the tattoo parlour" and frankly Dave lost his touch in the seventies. However, even with this in mind, I saw the custom work of a paint shop from Wales at a show and it was fantastic. There were swirls in the paint and when the light caught them, I could see that they were skulls in the paint rising from the mist. Such a job does not suit every bike or even every rider, but it was beautiful and very subtle.

As for something completely unusual, what about metal coating? Copper plating can look beautiful and if you don't want it to oxidise and change colour you can have it lacquered. My friend Sian dreams of the days that she can afford to buy a TRX850 and have that trellis frame copper plated.

Geodude
03-02-15, 08:24 PM
I'm based near Retford, but i don't mind travelling for the right quality work.
Pm'ed :)

aoleks
04-02-15, 12:43 PM
subaru racing blue with matte black frame and golden wheels?

or maybe pearl white fairings, matte black frame and cobalt blue wheels...

clydeflouride
04-02-15, 02:54 PM
Ohh man that sounds good ^ my bike is actually pearl white but I'm loving the subaru idea.

aoleks
04-02-15, 05:27 PM
strip the paint off your tank, polish it and spray it with high gloss transparent lacquer. paint the rest matte white, the cylinder covers racing red and add some details.

cover your tank in carbon foil, paint the rest light blue, like the bike below, and powder coat the wheels in magnesium colour. add some details and boom!

lots of ideas, little time :)

whatever you do, a yellow number patch on the back of the bike looks really sexy, if done properly.

BanannaMan
06-02-15, 03:08 AM
Do the frame in red. Paint the wheels gold. Bodywork in either black or white.

Or

Frame silver, wheels white, bodywork in bright yellow.
(had a bike with this paint scheme and it looked ace!)

carelesschucca
06-02-15, 03:10 PM
Best paintscheme I've seen in ages was a valvoline motorbike it was stunning... I'll try and find it and post photos. It made me go goey inside..

carelesschucca
06-02-15, 03:26 PM
http://2stroker.createforumhosting.com/yamaha-tz250-4dp2-1993-finnished-t2237-75.html

best I can do to show the bike is this.

SoullessToaster
06-02-15, 06:59 PM
strip the paint off your tank, polish it and spray it with high gloss transparent lacquer. paint the rest matte white, the cylinder covers racing red and add some details.

cover your tank in carbon foil, paint the rest light blue, like the bike below, and powder coat the wheels in magnesium colour. add some details and boom!

lots of ideas, little time :)

whatever you do, a yellow number patch on the back of the bike looks really sexy, if done properly.

I'm loving the idea of this yellow block of numbers on the back... I think if done right, it could really set a trend! Car drivers might even start putting bigger ones on their tin boxes!

SoullessToaster
06-02-15, 07:00 PM
I'm loving these ideas :) Thanks guys