PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Issues After Minor Off

Fibob
09-02-15, 01:22 PM
Hello all,

I'm looking for a little insight before I go tinkering. Last week I dropped my bike - I was doing about 3mph, went over ice, and down she (and I went). I had my clutch lever repaired, but on the ride home, I was having major issues. The clutch wouldn't disengage, which made stopping in traffic fun! And when I'm stopped, unless I turn her off, I can't switch into neutral.

Is this just a case of a possible loose cable, or do I need to start taking her apart?

All advice is appreciated. She's a k7 if it helps.

Corny Gizmo
09-02-15, 01:28 PM
Things to check:

A: There is not too much slack at the lever
B: The lever moves freely all the way to the bar
C: Take off the sprocket cover and check the cable is moving etc

I cant advise on how to adjust the clutch worm gear etc, but their are others who can.

Fibob
10-02-15, 01:17 PM
Quick update!

The clutch is almost all good now. Tightening the cable has fixed the problem with the clutch disengaging, and she is finally ridable again!

Still got a minor issue where she is a little temperamental switching into neutral, but I can take a look at that at the weekend. Just happy to have her back on the road! :D

Jayneflakes
10-02-15, 01:31 PM
Have a tinker with the adjuster that is located just above the worm gear and then adjust the worm gear and you should find that your clutch feels perfect once again. It may not be a pretty device, but it is very effective.

Also worthy of checking is that the worm gear is well lubricated. It works on tiny loose bearings sliding in some spiral grooves that then activates a push rod. If this dries out or gets gritty it can make your clutch feel a bit pants. You will need to pop it off to fill it with fresh grease, but that takes only a minute or two, but do be careful not to lose any bearings.

You can then check that the push rod is correctly adjusted and again this takes moments and is dead simple.

Finally lube your clutch cable, a drop of oil can make all the difference. All of this should make popping into neutral a smooth and gentle transition. :D

Jayneflakes
10-02-15, 01:31 PM
Double post, don't know why. So have a picture of a flower instead.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-XboWVJv-LeY/TYi8lLL16RI/AAAAAAAABzs/dsRYmkqhXIs/s1600/springtime_flowers.jpg