PDA

View Full Version : Daylight MOT

barryreynolds
13-02-15, 10:24 PM
Hi Guys,

If i get an MOT, then take the lights off my bike and add race fairing, do I need to get another MOT to be legal?

Thanks

DJ123
13-02-15, 10:30 PM
I believe so yes. On a daytime MOT it will state that you have no lights as such, and that the vehicle only has a daytime MOT.

rictus01
14-02-15, 12:05 AM
even with a daytime MOT; you'll need a rear brakelight (working off both front and rear) and numberplate light and working horn to ride on the road, indicators have to work if fitted (I don't know if just removing the actual lights is enough or if you'd have to remove/ tape over the switch as well), of course what you can get away with is something totally different.

Bibio
14-02-15, 12:14 AM
if your planning on doing track days then dont ride the bike to the track. if you crash then your stuck, get a trailer or van.

if you plan on riding around the streets and do the occasional track day they make the bike road legal. but again i would suggest you trailer or van the bike to the track.

doing track days WILL end in tears at some point as it's the nature of the game.

NTECUK
14-02-15, 03:54 AM
There is no such thing as a day time mot

There is a mot with an advisory of.
"No lights fitted at time of test ".
Any one who works in the industry will tell you that the mot is actually worth jack.
MOT is referred to the people who enforce it as Moment In Time.
You're getting judges on how the machines presented there and then.
Nothing is stopping you removing your 5inch number plate for the legal font size, borring your mates wheels and tyres just for the test and swoping the exhuast over. Get a pass go home and swop it all back.
Inform your insurance company if you do remove lights etc.
Read the official website for more guidance

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-Ltyqeh1GikUFZsSk56ZVNFcmc/edit?usp=docslist_api

Red Herring
14-02-15, 06:57 AM
As NTECUK says an MOT is an MOT, there is no difference between a "normal" one and a so called "Daytime" one as far as the paperwork and regulations are concerned, so to answer your question, no you don't have to retest it.

From a technical point of view a vehicle that is not fitted with a front or rear position lamp does not need to comply with the rest of the lighting regulations, so you don't need to have indicators or a brake light either. A lot of people keep a brake light (I do) for safety reasons, however be careful how you do that as retaining the original fitting will invariably include the rear position lamp (dual element bulb) which would then require you to fit the rest of the lights.....

You do still need to have horn and speedo, number plate, road legal tyres and a proper exhaust.

You can't ride it on a road during hours of darkness (half hour after sunset to half hour before sunrise) or in conditions of seriously reduced visibility (not defined but generally taken to be around 100m).

NTECUK
14-02-15, 10:09 AM
Gov diff of seriously reduced visibility
You MUST use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced, generally when you cannot see for more than 100 metres (328 feet). You may also use front or rear fog lights but you MUST switch them off when visibility improves (see Rule 236). Law RVLR regs 25 & 27".

And just a screen shot re Reds comments about the stop lights
But in sure that you have read and understand the on line manual anyway

http://forums.sv650.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=14774&stc=1&d=1423909318

figaro
14-02-15, 07:29 PM
You do not need a brake light either. You must have a rear reflector, and you must have a single tone horn (but most testers will let a squeaky horn go). There is no law at all to say motorbikes need lights, but if they are fitted they must work, that's all. I've got a few bikes through mot's without lights, not one of them was fitted with a brake light.

NTECUK
14-02-15, 07:45 PM
You do not need a brake light either.

If it fits the criteria on the left of the official mot manual .
See above lol

Red Herring
15-02-15, 06:22 PM
Nobody said you needed to have a brake light, I just suggested it makes sense to have one if you are going to ride on the road.

NTECUK
15-02-15, 07:52 PM
You could use the old hand signals instead of a stop light RH.
B u t most people will think your doing a red bull thing...

figaro
15-02-15, 08:08 PM
Nobody said you needed to have a brake light

Really..?

I must've just dreamt this then...

even with a daytime MOT; you'll need a rear brakelight

NTECUK
15-02-15, 09:20 PM
I think it is the confusion with the exception part.
As the stop light check is not needed if you have no marker /head, lights
The Exception below the part for the no lights applies to bikes machines of 50cc old and 25mph categories.
It's easy to get some confusion the way the manuals presented.

Red Herring
15-02-15, 09:48 PM
Really..?

I must've just dreamt this then...

Fair comment. I'd dismissed that post so comprehensively I'd forgotten it was there..... I'll get back in my box.

Andy_J
21-02-15, 12:10 PM
Having done this and got the t shirt I do know that all you actually need is horn. You don't need a reflector, you don't need any lights and you don't even need a speedo etc. ;)

NTECUK
21-02-15, 12:14 PM
I Just remember that the manual is regularly updated.
You can use the link I've posted to keep up-to-date.
https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/mot-testing-guide-inspection-manuals-and-special-notices#mot-special-notices

figaro
21-02-15, 02:57 PM
Having done this and got the t shirt I do know that all you actually need is horn. You don't need a reflector, you don't need any lights and you don't even need a speedo etc. ;)

How long ago did you do the last bike without lights? The MOT guy that I use is adamant that a rear reflector be used, but it's been a few years since I last mot'd a bike without lights.

NTECUK
21-02-15, 03:17 PM
How long ago did you do the last bike without lights? The MOT guy that I use is adamant that a rear reflector be used, but it's been a few years since I last mot'd a bike without lights.
Doesn't matter how long ago if you can't read the mot manual
http://www.motinfo.gov.uk/htdocs/m1s01000401.htm
      1.4 Rear Reflectors Information Method of Inspection Reason for Rejection • This inspection applies to: all machines except those which either have no front or rear position lamps or have such lamps permanently disconnected, painted over or masked that are • only used during daylight hours, and • not used at times of seriously reduced visibility
If this situation occurs the machine presenter should be issued with a VT32 (advisory notice) recording the above.

figaro
21-02-15, 03:39 PM
I'd say this was pretty clear...

Mopeds and motor bicycles require one unobscured red reflector which is aligned to the vehicles longitudinal centre line and is positioned to reflect squarely to the rear. If the motorcycle is fitted with a side car the side car will also require a reflector fitted towards the nearside and positioned to reflect squarely to the rear.

NTECUK
21-02-15, 06:15 PM
And if I have no lights. I would appeal and win
"This inspection applies to: all machines except those which either have no front or rear position lamps or have such lamps permanently disconnected, painted over or masked that are • only used during daylight hours, and • not used at times of seriously reduced visibility"

figaro
21-02-15, 06:53 PM
Oh, I see what you mean.

NTECUK
21-02-15, 07:05 PM
Your tester should go on a refresher course.
He can also ask the Tec Desk via the VTS device for clarification on this Or any point you need clarification.

Red Herring
22-02-15, 08:06 PM

Actually you do need a speedo if you are going to ride on the road, it's just not something required to be checked during an MOT. If you were stopped by the police and unlucky enough to end up speaking to an officer who actually knew what they were doing then you would need to show that you have a device capable of indicating the speed of the machine in MPH. I used to get by with just a simple pedal cycle one, however in recent years I just use a small Garman GPS. We've had some debate over if that is technically legal (what if you ride through a tunnel) but nobody has been prepared to put their name where their opinion is yet.....

NTECUK
23-02-15, 12:50 AM
RH. Construction and Use and the mot are a fair distance apart.