PDA

View Full Version : problems replacing throttle handlebar

ollies41
14-02-15, 04:29 PM
I'm trying to put 'dr bike' heated handlebars on my sv, have removed the rubber grips, and now need to remove the plastic throttle tube from the bar and cut/file the ends flat so I can get the new jacket on. Problem is I cant get the plastic off as I cant get to the throttle cable to free the plastic jacket. I daren't try and stretch anything. I've got the top part of the throttle housing off but cant get anything else away to disconnect the throttle cable. Not sure I'm explaining myself well........
Does anyone have any advice or you tube videos that could explain how to do this? I've looked at youtube but it doesn't show me much/

Thanks
Ollie

Bibio
14-02-15, 04:31 PM
might help if you tell us which SV model you have.

ollies41
14-02-15, 04:33 PM
oops sorry, its 2001 SV650N

Bibio
14-02-15, 04:38 PM
there are 2 philips #2 screws under the switchgear, remove the screws and separate the two half's of the switchgear to remove the throttle tube from the housing. take a photo of the way the throttle cables are as you must put them back in the correct order as the throttle is a push pull type.

ollies41
14-02-15, 04:48 PM
I've removed the Phillips screws and the top half of the switch cover has come off, but something is stopping the bottom half from coming away, so I can't get the cable out of the plastic channel. I'll have another go, maybe if I slide the whole lot off the handlebar it'll make it easier to get to?.
You can tell I'm not very mechanically minded here :0?

Bibio
14-02-15, 04:54 PM
loosen the throttle cable adjusters on the bottom half and the remove the cable ends from the throttle tube.

ollies41
14-02-15, 05:31 PM
Phew......managed it thanks for that. got to cut or file the sticky up plastic off the tube now so I can fit the new heated bar on. More fun!