PDA

View Full Version : Minitwin weight

barryreynolds
15-02-15, 06:33 PM
Hi Guys,

I've stripped my bike of lights, fairings, subframes etc. There is a lot and the bike looks pretty skinny now.

I'm going to fit aluminium subframes and M1 race fairing this week. How heavy can I expect the bike to be?

Also, how much of the electrics can i remove such as for the lights?

andrewsmith
15-02-15, 10:12 PM
I think around a 20 kg saving is easy.
The actual road parts weigh a lot more than you think

yorkie_chris
17-02-15, 08:11 AM
No idea! Take it to a weighbridge would be interesting to find out.

Yeah you can lose all the lighting electrics, indicator relays, fuel light ballasts etc etc. depends how handy you are reading the wiring diagram and if you think the weight is worth the trouble.

jambo
17-02-15, 08:46 PM
I did this a little while back and i think we lost less than you'd imagine. This is because the quoted weight for an sv650 seemed rather optimistic, not including any fluids at all. I've got a couple of scales in the garage, when the minitwins are finished we'll drain the fuel and weigh them in comparing with my road bike. All are curvy svs so the comparisons should be sound even if the exact figures are off

Jambo

Sent without a real keyboard

barryreynolds
17-02-15, 10:42 PM
I'll try and get a weight, i would expect about 150kg

yorkie_chris
18-02-15, 07:55 AM
Bathroom scales would do, just weigh one end then the other and add them up.

(put a block of wood the same thickness as the scales on the end that you're not weighing)

fastdruid
16-08-18, 08:52 AM
Old post but I weighed my track '00 SV700, 169.6Kg fully wet. 166Kg without fairing.

Weight without the fairing was almost scarily even, 83Kg front and back.

It's not impossible but it would be hard (read expensive) to lose *much* more, I've certainly got to the diminishing returns stage.