PDA

View Full Version : MOT Tyre

gazzamikes
17-02-15, 08:20 PM
Evening everyone,

took the bike for its MOT this morning, passed not problem apart from two advisories;

1 being the drive chain was too slack but 10 mins later sorted :)

the second being the front tyre getting low, so my question is what tyre would you recommend? I've been looking at the maxxis or the michellin pilot

thanks for the help!!!!

Nutsinatin
17-02-15, 08:28 PM
My preference is for the Pilot Road 4's but you'll get a host of opinions. Which bike is is and what do you want from the tyre; big miles, wet grip, sports handling? What sort of riding do you do?

gazzamikes
17-02-15, 08:34 PM
its a 2003 pointy 650s, to be honest I'm not experienced enough yet to be throwing it around corners only had it since end of oct, don't do a huge amount of wet riding

yokohama
18-02-15, 08:17 AM
What's on the back and how much life has it got left? You need to think about compatibility unless you intend on replacing both.

NTECUK
18-02-15, 09:47 AM
A good tyre is less than your insurance exsse.....

dw22
18-02-15, 11:06 AM
Michelin pilot road 3's if you want to save some pennies, Ive had the 3's and rate them highly.

munkygunn182
18-02-15, 11:39 AM
+1 for the Pilot Road 3's. Swapped to them Pirelli Diablo Corsa's - world of difference and I'm not sure I could recommend anything over them anymore. Even looking at swapping my BMW to them.

NTECUK
18-02-15, 11:54 AM
3's squirrel under hard braking. 4's don't

Nutsinatin
18-02-15, 06:42 PM
Having used PR3's and 4's I found the 3's were fine and gave great confidence and feel in the cold and wet(as well as the warm and try), but pushing on in the dry they do start to squirm on hard braking and feel a bit blocky/squishy right on the edge. The 4's are much firmer and I hadn't found the dry limit, very stable under braking and sublime feel near the edge. However they felt hard in the cold and wet and lacked the feel of the 3, despite having loads of grip (I was getting used to it but the 4's feedback was much more subtle and sensitive). The 3 is more confidence inspiring but the 4 is more sporty, the 3 won't leave you wanting unless you're pushing on.

Corny Gizmo
19-02-15, 08:41 AM
Out of interest how many miles are the PR 3's/4's likely to last (they will probably be getting fitted to my bike soon.)

NTECUK
19-02-15, 09:22 AM
How hard you going to push it.
How meany track days.
Normal use people get 6,000 miles on the likes of the tiger sport.

Nutsinatin
19-02-15, 01:32 PM
I got 14,000 out of my first pair of PR3's and then 10,000 out of the next pair riding a bit harder, rear was pretty squared off and down to legal limit, front had a little bit more life in it. I ride as an all weather commuter but will tour on the bike and take it out for a weekend blast. Again depends on your riding. 4's I only had for 2000 miles but they still looked pretty new when the bike was written off, I'll be getting another set when I finish the new BT21's that came with this bike.

Bibio
19-02-15, 02:29 PM
Out of interest how many miles are the PR 3's/4's likely to last (they will probably be getting fitted to my bike soon.)

how long is a piece of string....

i get +/-5k from a rear +/-7k from a front... pr3, storms..

if you ride like a nun on smack and your brakes, swingarm bearings and suspension are in tip top condition you will get a lot more mileage.

Corny Gizmo
19-02-15, 02:42 PM
Cheers Guys, was only after an idea.

I'm an all year round commuter plus any day its sunny I'm in Wales :) (around 12k a year)

in my opinion I ride hard, but not knee down hard.

NTECUK
19-02-15, 04:53 PM
Knee down isn't necessarily hard. Dragging the pegs and knee is...

gazzamikes
20-02-15, 08:01 PM
i ended up going for the PR3, will be fitting the weekend hopefully its good