PDA

View Full Version : swingarm marks accuracy

Bibio
28-02-15, 12:29 AM
i was curious to how accurate the adjuster marks are on the swingarms of SV650's

i'm glad to say very. i put cones through the main bearing sections on both the pointy and curvy to measure just how accurate Suzuki had got the markers and to my amazement the markings are damned good on both sides of each swingarm, good enough for my eyes not to see any discrepancy.

so my reckoning is that Suzuki must stamp the marks after the swingarms are assembled.

that puts the rear wheel alignment down to the rear axle marker plates being accurate.

TSM
28-02-15, 12:32 AM
They have always been rubbish on SVs.
If in doubt use the string and ruler method to set alignment with front wheel

Bibio
28-02-15, 01:02 AM
sort of. the marks on the swingarms are good and measure same on both sides so that puts the accuracy down to the actual marker plates, which i know are like throwing a sausage up a close.

how did i measure the marks. a set of centre cones with a steel rule butt tight up against the cones axle was my first port of call expecting differing sizes then i used a digital vernier (yes i have a big one) to re check the sizes and we are talking nothing, not even half a mm difference on each mark up the scale. i was not doing it that accurate as i was just messing about but my findings are the swingarms marks are surprisingly very accurate.

TamSV
28-02-15, 08:28 AM
Found the same on mine Bibs. The marks are OK but it doesn't matter due to the slop in one of the plates.

They need to be handed so one has a smaller diameter hole, ensuring a tight fit on the axle... as I'm sure you've already worked out. :)