PDA

View Full Version : sv650s Crappy cheap **** to remove

Gman666
04-03-15, 01:36 PM
Hi everyone.

My SV is (k9) 5 years old now and done 7k on it.

Basically its getting to the point that the cheap **** is dying.
Like downpipe links and the little metal pinchers for tubes and cables.

I grease the bike up regularly.

What cheap **** is on the bike and is not really necessary that can be removed ?
Things that cause more harm than good.

For example:
The downpipe heat cover (metal sheet) has broken through heat and weather. I took it off and its rusty on the downpipe underneath it. ****ed me off as the rest is good.
The thing with this cover is I see its supposed to give the lower fairing some protection but it really only protects a small area of the faring with more fairing still exposed to heat from the pipe. So my thoughts are the downpipe in other areas (still close to the fairing) doesn't cause any heat damage. So to me the plate is pointless all it's done is hide muck and catch water and ruined a small section of the pipe.

Anyway any more hidden gems like this I should be aware of ?

And what cheap **** is worth replacing with something of better quality ?

thanks

Cymraeg_Atodeg
04-03-15, 04:46 PM
The SV650N/S is a bike made to a budget and you get that in the quality of the parts and forks.

If you really wanna go down the road of taking all the cheap stuff off and replacing it you'd be better off getting another bike that costs a lot more.

I changed the forks, yokes, fairing, endcans, clips-ons, levers, rear light, indicators, rear hugger and screen on my SV1000S. And I intend to change the rear-shock too. But, I did this as I use her as a touring bike and as such she does a lot of miles (is on 52k odd now) and will keep on going.

My R6 on the other had is built very well with quality bits and as such doesn't need so many bits changing. I've changed the screen and end-can so far, levers need doing next.

But, honestly, change what makes you happy, but, don't expect to find a "swan" in this "ugly duckling."

I love my SV1000S down the the ground, but, I don't expect of her more than what she is, and I think you should do the same for your 650. She is what she is, improvements can be made, but, no need to go mad or you'll spend money when you don't need to and that can be fuel money used for the enjoyment of riding.

jambo
04-03-15, 05:24 PM
So am I to understand that the 7,000 mile old bike is absolutely fine other than some surface corrosion, or have I missed something?

The paint is not the thickest especially on engine casings and fork legs which can get to look tatty. Fasteners can corrode, especially in the UK's damp climate. Liberal use of something like ACF50 can help keep corrosion at bay, may be worth a look?

Jambo

Bibio
04-03-15, 05:32 PM
mine sits out all winter doing nowt with not even a cover on it. 26k and all i have is surface rust on the chain and the discs are a bit rusty but they are SS so will buff up in no time, oohhh and the dreaded water pump corrosion has started.. but they all do that. same goes for the exhaust clamps.

they cost £4k new so what do you expect.

Gman666
04-03-15, 07:34 PM
Yeah i am being pretty picky. Ive always looked after my bike as much as i can Or know how to. Its my first bike. Im pretty much after a heads up amd what to look out for. If i knew behind the pipe cover was getting bubbly rust amd that its pretty pointless it being on the pipe in the first place it would still be Looking good

So just wanted to hear what the expereinced owners/riders have discovered over the time for tips to avoid areas in less visible areas from rotting.

Yeah the black painted parts are ****. Paint has flaked in some areas and does rust but i ru it down and put a bit of spray grease over.

I know what ive mentioned is nkt to worry about and there may not be anything to worry about.

But im just asking :D

I know its a cheap bike. Most stuff didnt get greased either. Rear wheel axel i took off last year and it was bone dry. Took some force to get it out. I might not of got it out given another year.

Runako
05-03-15, 07:23 AM
I present a slighlty different view. I think the basics of the bike are ok and its got a lot of potential to compete with other far more expensive bikes with a few changes. The biggest difference with an SV and R6 for example is the engine performance. So you're not gonna get a faster bike, but then the SV engine has its own great benefits.

Almost everything else is fair game. Front end swap bring excellent braking/suspension performance and can be done relatively cheaply if selling the OEM front end. That replaces a lot of potential hassle down the line as the forks are prone to pitting, seals can be rubbish and the nuts & bolts can sometimes seize etc.

Not to say this can't happen to say a GSXR front end, but the components are generally better and you get the opportunity to upgrade things like nuts and bolts in a swap.

Brake lines are easily changed, as are air filters and spark plugs. Levers - Change as soon as. Rear shock, get rid quick.

Then there are a number of fairing and engine bolt replacement kits out there to upgrade some of the cheese that is delivered with this bike. They can be a relatively inexpensive upgrade.

The point is that most of these things are cosmetic and can be done over time. The fundamentals - Engine, Gearbox, Electrics, Frame - should last a very long time and should not deteriorate easily.

If Suzuki updated the SV they would still only use budget parts. That's why you can pick em up for 4k new, because the design is relatively old now. But the bike is quite adaptable so the only thing preventing you from improving it is really your imagination.

Google "modded SV" to see what some creative people have done with theirs. Some are incredible.

Good luck.

Cymraeg_Atodeg
05-03-15, 07:41 AM
I present a slighlty different view. I think the basics of the bike are ok and its got a lot of potential to compete with other far more expensive bikes with a few changes. The biggest difference with an SV and R6 for example is the engine performance. So you're not gonna get a faster bike, but then the SV engine has its own great benefits.

Almost everything else is fair game. Front end swap bring excellent braking/suspension performance and can be done relatively cheaply if selling the OEM front end. That replaces a lot of potential hassle down the line as the forks are prone to pitting, seals can be rubbish and the nuts & bolts can sometimes seize etc.

Not to say this can't happen to say a GSXR front end, but the components are generally better and you get the opportunity to upgrade things like nuts and bolts in a swap.

Brake lines are easily changed, as are air filters and spark plugs. Levers - Change as soon as. Rear shock, get rid quick.

Then there are a number of fairing and engine bolt replacement kits out there to upgrade some of the cheese that is delivered with this bike. They can be a relatively inexpensive upgrade.

The point is that most of these things are cosmetic and can be done over time. The fundamentals - Engine, Gearbox, Electrics, Frame - should last a very long time and should not deteriorate easily.

If Suzuki updated the SV they would still only use budget parts. That's why you can pick em up for 4k new, because the design is relatively old now. But the bike is quite adaptable so the only thing preventing you from improving it is really your imagination.

Google "modded SV" to see what some creative people have done with theirs. Some are incredible.

Good luck.

You picking on me Runny?

At the end of the day, you get what you pay for and if you wanna spend money making a bike better you can, but, in my opinion there is no point spending loads of money on a bike that isn't "high end," you going to lose out too much when/if you sell it on.

I have done loads to my SV1000S, but, I know I am not gonna sell her on.

The R6 has had "tasteful" work done, but, again that is because she has some resale value.

"To each their own" - They

Runako
05-03-15, 08:05 AM
You picking on me Runny?

At the end of the day, you get what you pay for and if you wanna spend money making a bike better you can, but, in my opinion there is no point spending loads of money on a bike that isn't "high end," you going to lose out too much when/if you sell it on.

I have done loads to my SV1000S, but, I know I am not gonna sell her on.

The R6 has had "tasteful" work done, but, again that is because she has some resale value.

"To each their own" - They

Nah mate, I think the only time we met was when you came over with Stu and Squirrel, and you were on a GSXR I think that day. Haven't seen your thou.

As for spending money, we both agree that if you're gonna do anything substantial to the bike you're never gonna see any return on that spend.

But that's not what my post is about. Its about whether you can improve or rid the bike of its factory cheapness to get a better looking/performing bike without spending R6 money. And stand by my view that other than the engine, you can improve the SV650 significantly without spending anywhere near R6 money.

In my view, you can also produce a much more unique looking bike too. But in any case, if just spending a few bucks here and there, you can make long lasting improvements to quality using other OEM parts from the GSXR, The R6, a number of rear shock makes and some relatively inexpensive aftermarket parts such as air filters.

It really doesn't cost that much if you're patient and willing to spend the time finding the right bits for the right price. E.g. Genuine CF rear hugger for £50? Amazing.

Cymraeg_Atodeg
05-03-15, 08:17 AM
Nah mate, I think the only time we met was when you came over with Stu and Squirrel, and you were on a GSXR I think that day. Haven't seen your thou.

As for spending money, we both agree that if you're gonna do anything substantial to the bike you're never gonna see any return on that spend.

But that's not what my post is about. Its about whether you can improve or rid the bike of its factory cheapness to get a better looking/performing bike without spending R6 money. And stand by my view that other than the engine, you can improve the SV650 significantly without spending anywhere near R6 money.

In my view, you can also produce a much more unique looking bike too. But in any case, if just spending a few bucks here and there, you can make long lasting improvements to quality using other OEM parts from the GSXR, The R6, a number of rear shock makes and some relatively inexpensive aftermarket parts such as air filters.

It really doesn't cost that much if you're patient and willing to spend the time finding the right bits for the right price. E.g. Genuine CF rear hugger for £50? Amazing.

You read before, then quoted it just after I edited it.

I thought you were the guy I met in East Anglia who had an SV650, but, I remembered you're "Wrong Side" Ronny and edited my post.

I agree you can make improvements to the SV650, but, you can go way over-board, like I did on my SV1000S.

At the end of the day, I think the minimum for SV650 is front forks, screen, end can, air filter and seat cowl if you're a solo rider

Gman666
05-03-15, 01:58 PM
I have got a Beowulf end can, hugger, front fender extender, radiator grill etc. purely cosmetic.

I would like to get a different rear shock to get a slightly higher position if anyone has any recommendations ?

Air filter I will change (have the money aside for that and a new screen just ne to order what I want really)

Clutch and brake lever not really to fussed with.

I can afford to swap out the forks for some gsx forks

Do I need to replace anything below to fit them ?

Pretty sure il have to use the gsx yokes.

Bearings ?
Calipers ?
Discs ?
Front mudguard ?
Bars ?

Bibio
05-03-15, 02:10 PM
do you mean gsxr forks?

Gman666
05-03-15, 02:13 PM
do you mean gsxr forks?

yeah.

Jayneflakes
05-03-15, 04:07 PM
I chose my bike, not based on cost but rather that I liked her look and to be honest, there are some cheap parts and cheap finishes on her. However I love her to bits, I have spent stupid amounts of money on my bike, that could probably have bought me a better quality finished machine had I part-ex'd her. But then I would not have a bike as personal to me. Money spent making them unique is money that you wont see again. :pale:

I would like to get a different rear shock to get a slightly higher position if anyone has any recommendations ?

I can afford to swap out the forks for some gsx forks

Do I need to replace anything below to fit them ?

Pretty sure il have to use the gsx yokes.

Bearings ?
Calipers ?
Discs ?
Front mudguard ?
Bars ?

I changed my rear shock for a brand new Pensk unit on the recommendation of Yorkie Chris. The change was a revelation, any good quality unit though will be an improvement over standard though if well set up and put into well serviced bearings.

Changing forks will require several new parts depending on what you can modify. To keep it simple though, a complete front end is probably the easiest option and this will be spindle, wheel, brake rotors, callipers, speedo sensor, mud guard, yokes, and clip ons. Head bearings are a tricky one, removing the bottom race from the old yoke can cause damage to seals. When I did mine, I replaced the bearing with a high quality roller unit and fitting was a simple job.

Bibio
05-03-15, 05:09 PM
depends if you want bling factor or function.

the cheapest way of getting cartridge forks on a pointy SV are the GSXR 600 K1-3. you need the entire front end. bars, forks, wheel, spindle, discs, yokes, mudguard, callipers. things you can use form the SV are the switchgear, M/C, cables, ignition, tyre, headstock bearings, stem nuts and seal.

you will also need a workaround for your speedo (if you do go ahead i have the perfect solution)

aesmith
05-03-15, 06:46 PM
People occasionally come on saying it's a waste of time/money trying to improve the SV, and you should just buy a better quality bike instead. The thing is though, say you like the SV, I can't see anything that would be an improvement without either paying a whole lot more, or giving away some of the SV qualities.

So for people who take that position, what would you buy instead of an SV for say £1K more?

Runako
05-03-15, 07:00 PM
depends if you want bling factor or function.
(if you do go ahead i have the perfect solution)

What solution? I still haven't hooked up my speedy yet.

Runako
05-03-15, 07:09 PM
People occasionally come on saying it's a waste of time/money trying to improve the SV, and you should just buy a better quality bike instead. The thing is though, say you like the SV, I can't see anything that would be an improvement without either paying a whole lot more, or giving away some of the SV qualities.

So for people who take that position, what would you buy instead of an SV for say £1K more?

Thing is, there are loads of 2nd hand bikes you can get for an extra 1k.

But... I can and do service everything on my SV except Engine/Gearbox. I can:

> Jump on it and do 3k miles in 2 weeks and it won't miss a beat;
> Crash it and get it back on the road within weeks;
> Ride it through the winter and it can take the strain;
> Modify it/personalise it with relative ease;
> Insure it for less.
> Scare the daylights out of riders riding far more expensive bikes on all but straights.

And when I say 'can' I mean 'have'.

Find a bike fitting this criteria and I would spend the extra 1k. But I haven't yet so I won't.

aesmith
05-03-15, 07:53 PM
Thing is, there are loads of 2nd hand bikes you can get for an extra 1k. ....Find a bike fitting this criteria and I would spend the extra 1k. But I haven't yet so I won't.
My point exactly. For me it would probably have to be a Daytona 675, but even that has some downsides like a more revvy engine and higher seat. Anything win an inline four, well that doesn't do it for me.

Runako
05-03-15, 08:20 PM
My point exactly. For me it would probably have to be a Daytona 675, but even that has some downsides like a more revvy engine and higher seat. Anything win an inline four, well that doesn't do it for me.

I have a Daytona 675. I ride it daily whilst the SV is being revamped. It does not do any of those things. Its just ridiculously fast.