PDA

View Full Version : low headlight voltage

dazzaboy
05-03-15, 09:50 PM
Headlights have really looking rather dim so checked the voltage at headlight plug as advised, only 8 volts at the headlight plugs and headlight fuse then if i power it up to 12 volts they are nice and bright. This seems a common problem so does anyone know where abouts the problem occurs?

theenglishman
05-03-15, 09:51 PM
In one of the connectors possibly. Most likely in the handlebar switch. Or the switch contacts themselves.

Dipper
05-03-15, 09:53 PM
The OE wiring is too thin, run a new heavy gauge cable via fuse from the battery and fit relays it does wonders for the power of the lights.

Dipper
05-03-15, 09:55 PM
I'm talking Curvy by the way, however I expect Pointys are the same.

theenglishman
05-03-15, 09:57 PM
The OE wiring is too thin, run a new heavy gauge cable via fuse from the battery and fit relays it does wonders for the power of the lights.

It's not that thin that it drops >4 volts. Fix the fault, then look at upgrading wiring (not that upgrading the wiring is necessary)

Dipper
05-03-15, 10:04 PM
Agreed find the fault, however the best I've seen at the lights on a Curvy is around 11 volts, upgraded wiring gives around 13.5 and considerably better lighting.

dazzaboy
05-03-15, 11:17 PM
Cheers guys, gonna do abit more digging when i get a chance and see what i can come up with

maviczap
06-03-15, 07:03 AM
Follow Dippers advice, he's done this to his curvy.

Once you've done this, then you could fit Osram Nightriders which are bike specific, and are an improvement on OEM bulbs