PDA

View Full Version : Tyres

Painterman
21-07-03, 05:15 PM
I can't believe the new forums been up so long without any tyre debates. Well sorry to spoil the party!

I'm about to have some Dunlop 207's fitted but nearly got some Metzeler sportec m-1's, so I wondered what everyone else was running. :?

Warren Isaacs
21-07-03, 05:38 PM
Er, dunno, only ever tried the original MEZs then Bridgestones ever since.

Perhaps we should adopt the bike magazine approach to answer this question. Rock up to Brunters with a van full of tyres, a couple of fitters and a datalogging expert, and see what sort of lap times a national class racer can achieve. Oh, silly me - that would have absolutely no relevance to the riding 99% of us do 99% of the time . . . on the road where we have to slow down occasionally and our tyres never reach track-type temperatures. Why do the bike-buying public swallow such sh*te?

Cheers
Warren

PS I'm voting for Bridgestone, 'cos it certainly ain't the MEZs
PPS Given the last option, I reckon you asked for this -

Q. What do you do with 365 used condoms?
A. Melt them down, mould them into a tyre, and call it a GoodYear.
I'll get my coat . . .

vtwin
21-07-03, 05:51 PM
Avon ST (AV46) - by far the best I've had so far. And I've tried MEZ4's, BT010's and BT020's.

weegaz22
21-07-03, 07:20 PM
any one tried the metz rennsports or the pirelli diablo's?

derbybiker
21-07-03, 07:24 PM
Pirelli Dragon GTS's on mine

Sid Squid
21-07-03, 10:23 PM
It doesn't have Avon in the poll, I'm not playing

Sid

peteee
22-07-03, 11:07 AM
We see all these tests in MCN, Ride et al, and they're all great for Sunday rideouts and track days, but what about thos of us who ride very day, rain, sleet and snow (well, maybe not snow :oops: ) ???

I run BT010sfront and rear, partly cause they're really sticky and great in the dry and round tracks, but mainly 'cos they're fantastic in the wet. I've got about 3k out of the rear and it's ready for a new one, not much but I'm inclined to get anohter rather than go for BT020, as they're allegedly not as good in the wet.

Considering it rains so much in this godforsaken country, why isn't there more info about wet weather performance? Any monkey can make a tyre that performs well enough for me in the dry....

/rant over

Luckypants
22-07-03, 11:14 AM
Why ain't Avon on this poll??? Been reading too many motorbike mags and falling into the trap of the 'big names', I reckon. Avon Azarro (II and III) have been popular choices for the SV for years.

I have ST45/46 on mine. Best tyres I ever used.

jonboy
22-07-03, 11:27 AM
I run BT010sfront and rear, partly cause they're really sticky and great in the dry and round tracks, but mainly 'cos they're fantastic in the wet. I've got about 3k out of the rear and it's ready for a new one, not much but I'm inclined to get anohter rather than go for BT020, as they're allegedly not as good in the wet.

Considering it rains so much in this godforsaken country, why isn't there more info about wet weather performance? Any monkey can make a tyre that performs well enough for me in the dry....

Hey Pete! Thought you'd deserted us! Glad to see you back, a lot has happened since the ride-out to Boxhill. If you fancy a ride let me know or come up to Soho on Friday nights if you're around.

As for tyres, I'm glad you think that the 010s are good in the wet as this is what I want to put on my SV in a week or two. For me, wet weather performance is top of the list - there's nothing worse than feeling the tyres start to slide. And you're right about dry performance, virtually all tyres today perform brilliantly in the dry, the difference between best and worst is almost academic I feel.

peteee
22-07-03, 11:50 AM
Hey Greg, not been around for a while, stupidly busy as usual.

The BT010 makes a great rear tyre, but as I say, I've squared it off after about 3k miles. I guess that's what too much commuting and not enough trackdays will do for you!

I reckon one more trackday should have it well and truly knackered, and then it's down to Kwik-Fit with me (I don't think)

Cheers
Pete

P.S. I've just sent you my avatar to host, since you so kindly offered... :wink:

svpilot
22-07-03, 12:32 PM
A POLL! for TYRES!

I bet Jelster has steam coming out of his ears... :lol:

I got michelin macadams on mine, they seem okay. I had a few twichey sphincter moments in the wet though...

One thing about michelin tyres... that michelin man on the edge of the tread! He is still there... Smiling and waving in my chicken strips - I'm sure he is mocking me.

Time for a track day I reckon, that should wipe the smile of his face. Mwah ha ha :twisted:

Viney
22-07-03, 02:50 PM
'stone 020's front and rear. 2 rears to one front, around 5-6k for a rear, hardish riding.

Painterman
22-07-03, 03:59 PM
Sorry about missing off the Avon's folks ! :twisted:

Graham
23-07-03, 01:05 AM
Bridgestones. They are about the cheapest of the good brands here in Oz, Far cheaper than Avons which are supposed to be good.
Got 26000km's from the first set of 010-020. Not so lucky with the second set, The rear has had a tube in it since about 8000 km's and I just got a bloody great screw In the front. Will be getting another set soon at about 18000 km's.
No trackdays yet as the owners of the bike(finance company) won't let me because of the Insurance company, Another couple of years to go.