PDA

View Full Version : does it make you faster or not?

graycat
23-07-03, 01:19 PM
here it is then folks, the poll to end all polls.

feel free to offer your opinion, but be ready to back it up ;)

T.

Viney
23-07-03, 01:42 PM
I reckon so. i know even if i shift my weight a little bit, then the bikek does seem to corner better. Its all physics ya know ;)

andy
23-07-03, 02:04 PM
I have found that on track days I can go as fast as everybody else without hanging off.

I am sure that hanging off is the fastest way to get round a corner, but in the real world it makes little difference - feels bloody good though!

Benji
23-07-03, 02:05 PM
Shifting your weight, yes. Climbing off the bike so that you can get your knee down, no. Knee down doesn't make you faster at all.

Benji

Warren Isaacs
23-07-03, 02:14 PM
Hanging off allows you to lean further before anything decks out, so yes, it lets you go faster.

Getting your knee down on the road, on the other hand, is pointless, irresponsible . . . and bloody good fun, especially with sparkies :D

Cheers
Warren

Marv
23-07-03, 02:21 PM
The likes of Mike Hailwood and John Surtees.
And they never hung off.(ahhhh back in the day)

When racing nowadays, well it works. But out on the road it's all a load of gay showoff cack.

I only have to move my shoulders 20mm to throw the SV into a bend.

I laugh at the magic roundabout knee down knob jockeys.

graycat
23-07-03, 02:30 PM
moving your weight I'm all for, but the glory-boy-knee-down-at-every-opportunity are quite amusing. :)

one of the things is, I know I can take corners faster by moving to the inside of the bike. suppose it means I don't have to lean it as much to get the same amount of cornering speed and grip.

mind you, I do enjoy the odd large hang off for a giggle and have managed to get the old kneedown on dead roads ;)

T.

Marv
23-07-03, 02:38 PM
Why not. I might I think.

JonToms
23-07-03, 02:42 PM
Being a 6 foot 2 streak of ****, i don't have much weight to throw around. I tend to find by just shifting my inside shoulder/ elbow and knee to a more outward position i can carry plenty of speed into corners 8)
Never had the need to have my knee close to the deck, i just lean the bike as far over as my brain will let me.. :lol:

Warren Isaacs
23-07-03, 03:32 PM
Never had the need to have my knee close to the deck

Getting your knee down on the road isn't about need, it's about having a laugh.

It's like wheelies and stoppies - good fun if you have the confidence and ability to do it, but utterly pointless.

Cheers
Warren

JonToms
23-07-03, 03:39 PM
Oh god, sounds like i'm being told off for being boring!!!!
HHmmmm maybe i'll word it a little different next time....
But yes i do see you point.....nothing against people doing it
unfortunatly still trying to perfect my cornering ability. Ability not allowing for any knee down action yet.... :oops:

Warren Isaacs
23-07-03, 03:57 PM
still trying to perfect my cornering ability

If you ever achieve your goal of cornering perfection, can I have some lessons :)

Cheers
Warren

graycat
23-07-03, 04:00 PM
JonToms wrote:
still trying to perfect my cornering ability

If you ever achieve your goal of cornering perfection, can I have some lessons

Cheers
Warren

me too!! :lol:

JonToms
23-07-03, 04:11 PM
Ok once i've finished with the stabilizers you can have them !!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Biff
24-07-03, 08:07 PM
I laugh at the magic roundabout knee down knob jockeys.

I know what you mean......I laugh all the time the slider is planted on the tarmac! :D

Try it....you might like it!

jim6800
25-07-03, 09:15 AM
I was watching the Hailwood documentary again last night and what struck me was how minimal the lean angles were. They probably didn't hang off because it simply wasn't safe to do so with weedy little cross-plies and dubious shocks. It doesn't look like anyone dared go below 45 degrees (and I don't blame them at all)