PDA

View Full Version : Trackday with a puncture repair!

Treacle
02-08-03, 06:34 PM
Im hopful doing a trackday soon. But I have resantly picked up a nail in the rear tyre. Now will it be ok or not. Tell us what you think

weegaz22
02-08-03, 07:01 PM
some people have done it, some will swear against it, if u were going to do it i would recommend once getting it plugged using tyre slime, just incase you have a blow-out, this will help u keep the bike under control if the **** hits the fan as it will slow the deflation, but generally i would say no, buy a new tyre

vtwin
02-08-03, 07:33 PM
I would happily recommend ultraseal but at £25 for both tyres you would be as well getting a new one. I would imagine that you will be stressing the tyres out on a track day and if it let go at a critical moment it wouldn't be pretty.

rictus01
03-08-03, 01:13 AM
Not that I am advocating this you understand,
But a few years back I picked up a wood screw on the way down to a track day.
It was in the middle of the tread so I fixed it with one of those "mend from the outside" kits.

I was concerned for the first session, then forgot all about it.

It lasted the day and the next week or so until I got paid and could get another tyre.

Sid Squid
03-08-03, 09:18 AM
Depends.
Even if you have a repair done to BS standards by someone who knows what they're doing, the tyre now has a speed limit of 80 mph, so Brands no, (I think most people would get more than 80 along the pit straight at least), but Three Sisters (tiny little go kart track near Wigan, technical and fun but no straights to speak of, and more than 45HP is wasted), yes possibly.

Sid

Rock Hopper Penguin
04-08-03, 03:21 PM
I did Rockingham in August 02 with a puncture repair on my BT010 and then went on to do Lydden in October 02 on the same tyre with the same repair.

My repair was carried out by Chasbikes in London, SE1 and was a plug type (from the inside I think).

I also used the same tyre until mid November 02, covering approx. 4400 miles with the repair (I only changed the tyre cos it was squaring off with motorway use).

Having said all that, I'm not advocating you do the same. I used my judgement and did not feel the bike was adversely affected by using a puncture repair in place of a new tyre - maybe if I'd have had the funds available I would have replaced the tyre for peace of mind. In other words, choose the repair at your own risk.

:)

Sid Squid
04-08-03, 03:30 PM
Rock Hopper Penguin
That's a porkie about you living in the Falklands innit?
If not, I think there is a bike shop a bit closer than Chasbikes for puncture repairs, what with you being off the coast of South America.

Sid

Slim
04-08-03, 04:01 PM
I plugged my tyre up once and it was good until I had to get it replaced.

However, if your worried about it won't it always be in the back of your mind? Will that spoil the day :?

Treacle
04-08-03, 04:41 PM
Very true Slim I hadn't thought of that. :oops:
But thanks all for the replys, I have come to my senses now, I will get a new one just before the event. Besides the thought of me coming around clearway and it letting go does not really appeal to me especially when a fat git like me and being a thou there will be alot of stress on the tyre. :?

The Dude
04-08-03, 05:11 PM
I got a puncture in my 2 week old 800 mile BT020 rear, plugged it in 5 minutes myself, with the cheepo kit from MPS, went on to do 2 trackdays and another 3000 miles, wearing it out completely before replacing it. After the 1st couple of laps you will forget about it. I am a very large geezer too.

Rock Hopper Penguin
05-08-03, 03:16 PM
quote="Sid Squid"]Rock Hopper Penguin
That's a porkie about you living in the Falklands innit?
If not, I think there is a bike shop a bit closer than Chasbikes for puncture repairs, what with you being off the coast of South America.

Sid[/quote]

Busted!!!! :wink:
Yeah, a little bit of a porkie, I'm actually in Chatham, Kent.