PDA

View Full Version : chain

maz101
12-08-03, 07:37 AM
I need a new drive chain for a 2000 SV, but I don't know the actual part number/size or equivalent.
Is it worth while spending the extra on a D.I.D chain or are the cheaper versions ok

cheers

the chimp.

Sid Squid
12-08-03, 07:54 AM
I voted no, but of course it does depend on the brand you buy.
Something that is often forgotten is the quality of the sprockets, there are good and bad, OE, Renthal and Afam are well known and quality, (they're not the only good ones), if you buy these makes they cost more money, but you get what you pay for. I usually buy a good brand chain, and OE front sprockets, as they wrap the most chain, and are subject to the most wear, worn sprockets knacker chains.

Sid

P.S. And a Scottoiler.

GlenK
12-08-03, 08:40 AM
I also posted no.

I have always been a fan of RK Chains chain, and usually fired one of these on my previous bikes. However, I went the DID way this time, as a mate of my brothers works in the Suzuki parts dept and got me a deamon deal on it.

I agree with the suggestion re checking sprockets as putting a good chain on knackered sprockets, just ruins the new chain.

Cheers, Glen

weegaz22
12-08-03, 12:27 PM
if i was sticking to the same sprocket sizes then i would get a suzuki chain depending only on price, ie: if there was a renthal or afam chain cheaper then i would go for that, to be honest id buy aftermarket ie renthal, afam
but only cos u get cool little stickers!!! :D

Viney
12-08-03, 12:37 PM
I have an aftermarket item, fitted by my local tyre place(Watlings). I also fitted a Scotoiler, and so far the chain has done 14-15k still with no tightspots etc.

So i would just say, that all chains are the same IMO, its how you look after them.

Just my 2p's worth

maz101
13-08-03, 09:27 AM
No one has answered the other question which is what size is the chain????

cheers

the chimp :?

Sid Squid
13-08-03, 11:44 AM
525 x 108 links SVS
525 x 110 links SV
On standard gearing, which is 15/44 SVS, and 15/45 SV

Sid