PDA

View Full Version : New Riders PLZ read

geoffmm
29-08-03, 03:07 PM
Just a topic of conversation for the forum. I am nineteen and have been riding on l plates but have just passed my test. Why am i bound by the government to be restricted to 33bhp when a 17 year old who has just passed his car test can go buy a ferrari or fast car. i have just bought a new sv650 and now i have to choke it to death with a form of restriction. is there a grudge against the biking community. My dad is a bike instructor in lincoln and we would both very much like to hear the opinion of people who matter.
thanks
geoff

iffy
29-08-03, 03:14 PM
Probably easier to kill yourself (or to get someone else to do it) on a bike than in a car. Try crashing a car into a wall at 30mph, and then try it on your bike. QED.

Ian

sexysi
29-08-03, 03:24 PM
Totally agree with you mate. Not many people know this but I failed my full test and then re-took it on a 125 trails bike and passed. The 500cc DAS i took i failed on the U turn Gutted :cry: Then re took it on my own 125cc Honda XLR 125 and passed everything. Didn't even have an instructor with me the second time. I have rode resticted and un restricted bikes. The top end of a resticted bike is 90-95 mph and 0-60mph isn't that much different. I still can't u turn without putting my foot down, so I am totally confused why we still have to restrict the bike to 33bhp. I suppose it means you can't get caught doing 125mph and it saves you licence cause you can only reach 95mph. :?
sexysi

U.K.Ajay
29-08-03, 03:26 PM
For my two penny worth, I think the government should follow suit with cars and restrict 17,18 year olds to 1.1's/low bhp etc...

Probably not the most popular opinion but there ya go, welcome to the clan anyway. Enjoy your SV.

geoffmm
29-08-03, 03:31 PM
this is what we want a nice broad range. good answer sexysi. i have a new car but i would choose my bike any day. even my rs50 still got used when i started driving.

keep posting

Fizzy Fish
29-08-03, 03:33 PM
I also originally had a 2 year restriction, I don't disagree withe the idea but 33bhp is too low and 2 years is far to long! At the time the law had just been changed and restrictor kits didn't seem to be too widely available, and besides you ended up paying the same insurance with 1/2 the power :( , so it was a choice between a derestricted sports/trailie 125 or a Honda Superdream :shock: so I went for a grey import Yamaha SRX400 instead. Wish I'd ben able to get the SV instead, but they didn't even make them then (cos I'm sooo old?!!)

the kids of today, they have it all their way... :wink:

weegaz22
29-08-03, 03:34 PM
as iffy says its much easier to kill yourself on a bike than it is on a car, if you were seventeen and passed your test then, you would be able to ride without restriction as the 2 years have passed and the restriction is lifted,

not many 17 year old can afford to buy, run and more importantly insure a ferrari, but most 17 year olds can afford to buy a bike which is capable of wasting a ferrari away from the lights up to around 60- 70 mph, now to give a seventeen year old a bike without restricting it, would cripple the biking community as the amount of deaths would rise dramatically 17year old+hayabusa+no road sense= instant death when he leaves the showroom,
all it takes is a slight twist of a throttle and u can go from 30- 100mph in a matter of second and this is why we have restricted bikes, to stop stupid 17 year olds whizzing through built-up areas at 150mph, can u imagine what a feild day the british press would have with that kind of material?
all of us would be slapped with restricted machines to meet the great public uproar

yes its a bummer that u will have to wait the 2 years but theres nothing that can be done about it unfortunatly, yes you will have more sense than a 17 year old but thats not what the government thinks

sexysi
29-08-03, 03:36 PM
Your not old your very cute, put a poll on the oakdene site IS RIZLASV CUTE YES or NO. You'll get a lot of yes's from the Oakdene lot I'm sure.
sexysi
Cute girl Cute bike, Can't wait for a photo shot

Fizzy Fish
29-08-03, 03:39 PM
ah, you're such a charmer!

sexysi
29-08-03, 03:41 PM
Oh darling you like the forum, great place to meet people, You wanna come round the back of the bike shed. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

geeksv
29-08-03, 03:49 PM
Interesting question

I guess it does stop some youngsters from being caught out by the power, and speed. But then again, just because some of us older doesnt mean we're any wiser. Its experience that matters, so does this mean that every new rider should be restricted. Hmmm can of worms there. And what about cars, perhaps a bhp limit should be set on new car drivers too.

This of course fails to get around those youngsters that claim their bike is restricted when it isnt, and theres nothing on the bike that plod can check to see if it still is restricted.

I guess I'm on the fence on this one.

sexysi
29-08-03, 03:55 PM
No but you have a restiction cert when the work is done and it is registered on a database. Although, having said that, had an accident on a restricted Sv and Police gave me a producer. When i got to the police station the office at the front desk looked at the certifcate blankly, daaah
what's that then, so informed the office of the difference between restricted and un-restricted bike, he then went away scratching his head to photocopy it. Why did I bothered paying £200 for a restiction kit. Also the insurance company never gave me an extra £200 back for the bike.
Sexysi

geoffmm
29-08-03, 03:58 PM
interesting point.

so does this mean that a 30 year old rider who has just passed his test should be restricted too. does an older rider passing his test then jumping on an r1 mean he is any better than an 18 year old in the same position.
think about it. :shock:

sexysi
29-08-03, 04:04 PM
Yep i passed my resticted test in my 30's so therefore had to ride 2 years resticted. If you pass that A1 test then whatever your age you are resticted for 2 years.
sexysi
Check your licence it shows for bikes <33bhp. This has to be taken off after 2 years, so you'll have to send the licence back and no doubt pay an admin charge.
sexysi

geoffmm
29-08-03, 04:08 PM
yes but direct access is what most over 21 take and this means u can ride anything. why not offer direct access from 17 then

geeksv
29-08-03, 04:13 PM
perhaps the only unfair thing is that (I think) you have to be over a certain age to do the DA course.

weegaz22
29-08-03, 04:14 PM
im supprised the police here arent doin what the dutch police do with scooter riders, i was goin home on my speedfight 50 from work one night, when a dutch police bike pulled me over, he took my licence and said "follow me" , he took me through a series of streets then onto a park path that led into a carpark, were there was about 30 kids with scooters, i still didnt have a clue what was goin on, then i looked to my right and saw a tiny little dyno that they unloaded from a trailer, with a cop revving the **** out of a little scooter on it, to test what power they were putting out, if they were over the limit then you got a fine, if it was tuned to the tits(80cc cylinder, bigger carb,race exhaust etc) it got taken off you then you had to get it from the police station with a really big fine, mines was over the limit and i got a 30 euro fine

Jelster
29-08-03, 04:15 PM
Has anyone asked Matt (Dynamite) :oops: Oh dear, maybe I shouldn't have mentioned that.....

geoffmm
29-08-03, 04:19 PM
yes but at one point i was riding an r1 on the road but i couldn't get a restriction kit or insurance so i had to sell it. (more like got told to). and now i have had to ride a smaller capacity bike cause i cant get insured on bigger and have it restricted. compared to the r1 it is loads slower restricted but having insurance is better the hot doggin it like before. this will probablly annoy people but this is a discussion board and reality so they should make insurance cheaper.

i don't think you should have to ride restricted

weegaz22
29-08-03, 04:22 PM
i think that you should maybe be allowed to do the das at 19 if you had a car licence since 17, as u would have 2 years road sense as opposed to nothing at all, 17 is too young for das in my opinion but if you pass your bike test at 17 then you can ride anything when u hit 19, so to take das should be at 19, only if u have had a car licence though as if u have never driven or ridin a bike then all the odds are against you when on a more powerful machine

weegaz22
29-08-03, 05:20 PM
one point i was riding an r1 on the road but i couldn't get a restriction kit

of course you couldnt get a restrictor for it, its a piece of race bred, track based machinery that is designed for high horsepower,speed,handling, its not a road designed bike so its not meant to have a restrictor put on it, when yamaha designed the R1 they didnt think to themselves "hold on we havent designed a restrictor kit to take the power from 140bhp to 33bhp, what are all the 17 year olds going to ride about on?" they designed it to compete with other litre class sportsbikes like the GSX-R1000 etc

GSXR Carlos
29-08-03, 07:21 PM
i'm 19, passed car test pre 18, riding moped (oops) since 16 and still restricted. took direct access course on 125cc so automatically restricted. anyone who takes their test on 125 = restricted to 33bhp ie sexysi.

my sv got to 105mph :D

restrictor is only good on first day so that you don't total ur shiny new baby. after that it's a pain in the ****. i'm currently looking into removing the kit myself, thanks to weegazz :)

got a haynes manual and am currently contemplating when and where to start. might get mr fud to help me out :)

Marrus
29-08-03, 08:41 PM
geoffmm,

honestly I dont think anyones critising your riding skill. If you can handle a R1 then more power to you! :)

But I think its the bigger picture here as not everyones got the same maturity to handle it. I remember (que violins) at your age I was racing the crap out of xr3i's. I would probably/definately have killed myself on a big bike.

People are right. There would be deaths. Never a good thing and I know doesnt make you feel any better about it. Sorry :(

Chelle999
30-08-03, 07:20 AM
Sorry I think it should stay as it is. I would have been to immature to ride a powerfull bike at 17 I'm not saying you are but there's always that little bit of naughty in everyone! Your sitting at the lights and you've got a shiny Bmw sitting on your offside, don't you wanna beat it off the lights!
I'm 27 and still get that and that's immature......but fun!
I even get that feeling when driving my car, cos guys hate beeing beat at the lights by a girlie!!!

Anyway just enjoy it for now, you've got it all to look forward to.

HAVE FUN!

svsk2
30-08-03, 10:11 AM
Got to agree with Marrus. But then I grew up in Northern Ireland, where after you pass your driving test you are required to drive with "R" plates (meaning restricted driver) for 1 year and are restricted to a top speed of 45 mph!

chazzyb
30-08-03, 12:35 PM
I have to admit I didn't know what restrictions new riders had to submit to these days. I got my full license at 17 and moved up to a 650 Bonneville at 18. With hindsight, I was bloody lucky not to get hurt (or come off come to that) as I used to ride like a complete lunatic, either on the way to the pub or coming back loaded after closing time. My best time for Dorking (home) to Guildford (mate's place) was 12 minutes - I shouldn't really be proud of it. Clearly, I was somewhat irresponsible at that age. Seeing the way so many of the kids round this way behave on their scooters, youth still has that problem and most likely always will. So, on balance, I'm inclined to think the current regs are a good thing.

Anton
30-08-03, 06:03 PM
I think the rule about 33 bhp is ok. In Denmark its 34 bhp, but you have to be 18 to ride a bike. you have to be 21 to ride a full power bike.
I just think that the rule should aply to cars aswell, meening that you would have to drive a car with only litle power the first couple of years or so.