PDA

View Full Version : Private/Personal Plates?

coombest
04-01-04, 10:10 PM
Right...
Seen a numberplate that I like for my baby at a very good price - BUT I still can't decide if I like the whole idea of a private plate!?
Just thought I'd see what the general concensus was!

OnFire
04-01-04, 10:16 PM
I'm with option number 4. There is just something about private numbers plates I don't like. And I'm sorry to say but if I see a car or whatever in front of me with a private plate I do kind of mutter "muppet". No offence to anyone though, I can't help it.

Akula
04-01-04, 10:20 PM
Driving to work last week i saw a 4x4 of some description, with the plate BON3R, (BONER), larfed my **** off :lol:

Regards

Akula :plod:

Luckypants
04-01-04, 10:24 PM
I went with option 3, some of them are a right load of tosh - others are nice. For instance I was offered A 750 VFR for my old bike, but they wanted over £2k for that - it was cool, but not that cool.

Daz
04-01-04, 11:01 PM
Hmmm... wasn't sure what to post there. I have one on my car :oops: However, I don't want one on my bike. They are too easily identified. Some a55hole might remember my personal plate and decide he didn't like the way I ride and push the bike over :oops:

Just me being paranoid, but bikes are easier messed with ](*,)

kitana
04-01-04, 11:33 PM
i got one :?

but its not personnal for me

its personnal to the bike and will get sold with the bike when she goes

undertest
05-01-04, 05:08 AM
Well I always thought all of the above. Some are cool because they are funny, some are cool because they are unique to a vehicle. Most are rubbish because of substituted letters / numbers or just simply because they are plain boring. It needs to be something that has some meaning - if its just something you know then what's the point?

Small story though ... I got one of the first dozen 99 SV's here in New Zealand. I managed to track down and snag SV650 which is and has always been my plate. So naturally I always thought that was pretty cool. After having the old girl off the road a few months I went to register the bike for a new 12 months of road use, and found the girl over the counter looking blankly at me saying um Im sorry sir you dont appear to be the registered owner... Well Um that's certainly news to me etc etc. Long story and much messing about later... Mr X had just bought second hand 99 SV up the country with a license plate number SV65O (O for orange not zero as in mine) In the change of ownership to him somehow the powers that be managed to read his form as my plate - and though it wasnt legally finalised as I hadnt done my half of this "ghost transfer", it had moved the plate number into his name - and left me unable to re-register my own bike! All sorted now but there is a little kind of problem to consider that I'm sure people never think of :-)

Viney
05-01-04, 09:08 AM
Mine is personal to me, so will have to transfer and all that if i sell the bike. I was lucky to have it brought for me last year as a crimbo present, by my now ex girlfriend. However, on a std plate, it looks pants, as my name is Ian so a 1 is used etc etc. On my illegal 9x3 plate, it looks cool IMHO.

So do look silly though, and the ones where they put screw covers, make the numbers slightly different shapes etc, are much the same.

Jabba
05-01-04, 10:28 AM
So do look silly though, and the ones where they put screw covers, make the numbers slightly different shapes etc, are much the same.

I'm with you on that one. Not for for aesthetic reasons but for practical ones. It would be less easy to look-out for if stolen, etc. What if you were knocked off your bike in a hit-and-run and witnesses could only recognise the doctored plate?

I also think it looks sad :lol:

jinx
05-01-04, 10:46 AM
I have a private plate on my car D1 TTB, my wifes name and my initials. Its personal to me. Wouldn't have one on the bike as don't like to drawn more attention to the bike than is necessary

Tim

ronnus
05-01-04, 12:39 PM
Some of em are okay, but the ones where they have put extra fixings on to try and make the plate say something it doesn't are REALLY sad!!

One of the hackney taxis in Edinburgh has T1 PME, which is quite amusing, and a butchers not far from my mums has M1 NCE on his delivery van - nice! Probably cost a bomb tho! :shock:

However I do agree that it can make your vehicle more easily identifiable, which is bad if you're on the bike carving up traffic queues/overtaking at 100MPH/generally being naughty etc... :twisted:

Viney
05-01-04, 01:07 PM
I have just remembered. Giant motorcycles in West Kingsdown in Kent has a van. On the front plate reads G 1 ANT, on the back, its G 11 ANT!

Naughty!

mudge32
05-01-04, 01:12 PM
Well as my plate spells penis - "PN**HYS" I think I'll be on the look out for a decent private plate - not necessarily name related :lol:

Jelster
05-01-04, 01:15 PM
I know of 2 really cool ones...

D1CKY - His name is Richard bt known as Dicky

101 NCH set out as 10 1NCH, just made me laugh...

Saw a VFR with 800 VFR which was pretty cool, and I tried getting something with SUE in the plate for the Mrs, cheapest was about a grand, too much for a bit of vanity me thinks..

In the right circumstances they can be good, but some look really tacky...

andy
05-01-04, 01:29 PM
The main reason I would want one is to reduce the number of digits and therefore the size of the plate.

GSXR Carlos
05-01-04, 01:35 PM
i managed to find one SV51 HAG

Hague is my surname

close but not close enough for £500

bootsock
22-01-04, 09:23 AM
Saw TWA77Y on a Merc which made me chucke especially as the 77 was more like TT!

I've got a plate on my car which is my year of birth and initials which I like and don't really care if no one else knows what it is, was thinking of getting one for the bike but couldn't really decide on what I'd want on the plate, not to mention that I've got better things to spend £500 on at the moment!

Dirty Baz
22-01-04, 10:18 AM
I've always wanted D1 RTY for the car/bike but would rather have some nice leathers and a top lid thanks very much!!

Guy I know drives a very modified Saxo with 5EX UAL, cost about £5k!! :shock: Also WRX Imprezas at my dad's garage come with WRX plates which are cool. If they mean something to the person or to the vehical then I like em. But those OIL reggies make we chuckle cause you know the guy driving is A - a big headed **** and B - he's got no money for a good plate!! :D

Sorry if anyone has an OIL plate!!! :oops:

adman
22-01-04, 10:32 AM
Again some plates look good and some look complete s**te, screw covers and that sort of thing just make you look like a tosser. im with andy on the idea of less letters = smaller plate and it will still be legal. Also if your riding in a group and copper wants to pull you who will stand out more your mates with standard plates or you with a private one

Cloggsy
22-01-04, 11:28 AM
I'd like 'B 457 ARD'

Nice :!: :wink:

Baggies JIm
22-01-04, 01:47 PM
i'm No.4 too. Good ones are fair shout, but crap ones are a sign of the underclass :rant: Hehehe

Mech
22-01-04, 07:51 PM
One of the guys at work has G65 SVS on his little crappy red hatchback... I can't decide whether to see if I can buy it off him (Which I'm sure wouldn't be a problem at all, it's a knackered old car, and that's just the plate that it happens to have) or if my long standing belief that they're just a little bit naff is stronger...

Should I go for it?

Thumpa
22-01-04, 09:00 PM
Audi TT seen recently: V 5EXY

Dodgy sense of humour - Funeral Directors in Barnstaple: M8ALM (Geddit?)

coombest
22-01-04, 09:26 PM
I still think Steve Parrish's plate on his Merc is the best plate I've ever seen... PEN15

Niiiiice!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

LT52 VXD
22-01-04, 10:32 PM
I got one and I think its great .

Regards
LT52

SVTONYB
23-01-04, 12:53 AM
My favorite is a female lawyer with a black porsche ...W1TCH....caf

bootsock
23-01-04, 09:58 AM
I actually don't like the new style of regestrations, hence why I got an old style one with just two numbers on the car.

Agree that pepole that use all sorts of screws and things to make it look vaguely like a word are extremely sad, it's like either it means something or it doesn't, no one's going to be impressed if you've made some random collection of letters and numbers look like it says 'Turnip' from a mile away!

Daz
06-02-04, 11:09 AM
I didn't want a personal plate on my bike, but think this would look 8) 8) 8) on a Suzuki SV650S :lol:

D1 SVS

It costs £999 :evil:

I might go for somthing similar though :oops: :roll: They start at £250 :-k

The only thing is, it would have to stay with the bike. Unless, of course, my next bike is a SVS :lol:

R11ysf
06-02-04, 12:57 PM
I bought R11 YSF, which spaced correctly spells:
RHYS F
which is my name.
Didn't really think i'll look cool by buying it, in fact i've had it on retention since i bought it 5 or so years ago, but simply as investments they're great. Cost me £350ish and registration firms sell nearly identical ones, R11 YSG, for £1500.
Quentin Wilson said he'd always liked them as you can buy them, put them on your car to stand out a bit and then sell them hopefully for a bit of a profit and you'v enjoyed it too.

fourpaws
06-02-04, 04:48 PM
:? Hmmm dont know really.. 1 thing I KNOW for sure is that I WOULDN'T pay the sort of prices that Ive seen about for one... but some do look nice.. unless its on a chav's motor ! :lol: [/b]

SDB
06-02-04, 06:17 PM
I would like B3 SDB but someone already has it.
:cry: When I bought the bike I almost bought W15 SDB from DVLA for £250 - but thought WIZ would increase the chance of getting pulled over. Anyway spent enough money on bike gear.

Best plate I have seen is FU2 :lol: on a Black Range Rover. Bet DVLA wouldn't sell one like that today.

Treacle
06-02-04, 07:05 PM
I have one but mostly for cosmetic reasons. After fitting an under tray to the bike I thought that with the plate that it had it looked a bit cack. :-&
I had 2 options here 1 to get an illegal plate ie alot smaller than it should be. Or buy a private with less characters. So whilst lurking through the DVLA site I stumbled acrossed N2 SVS at the bargin price of £250. I had to have it.

adey
06-02-04, 08:29 PM
i think some are nice and some are not. i knoe somebody who has ciivlc
on a civic obviously and he paid £3k for it and he has had offers of £6k for it i would have one but it would need to read 4dey as that id near enough my name. if you do get one i would recommend getting it from the dvla as they are all real and not doubled