PDA

View Full Version : Who wears what for riding?

Cloggsy
27-02-04, 06:21 PM
Who wears what when riding their bike :?:

Luckypants
27-02-04, 06:32 PM
I use Heine Gericke 2-piece Tribal leathers. After seeing a rider wearing this suit have an off at 80 and get up from it with leathers intact (small hole in bum) I reckoned they were up to the job of protection and good value at £300.

Couerdelion
27-02-04, 06:54 PM
Yep just bought the 2 piece Hein Gericke tribal leathers myself. look a bit like a power ranger but who cares?

SVTONYB
27-02-04, 07:01 PM
In summer leather jacket and leather trousers....
In winter cordura jacket and leather trousers....
Always leather gloves and leather boots.

spudnuts
27-02-04, 07:06 PM
Cordura jacket and troosers at the mo but would like to get some cow skin in the summer 8)

spudnuts

trickdup
27-02-04, 07:12 PM
Hein gericke tribal 1 peice romper suit. My son says all I need is a batman mask!

Kev

FlamedSV
27-02-04, 07:17 PM
I use an Alpinestars cordura jacket and a pair of Akito trousers

Mat

Muttley
27-02-04, 07:27 PM
When its sunny:

HG Tribal leather Jacket
HG Tricky leather Trousers (Jeans occasionally)
A* GP Plus Gloves
A* SMX-3 boots

When its cold out:

HG Tribal fabric jacket
HG Over trousers (no idea model name, got armour in the knees)
A* Jet road gloves
A* SMX-3 boots

coombest
27-02-04, 07:32 PM
I bought a luvverly set of Swift 1 piece leathers at the Ally Pally and also have a set of cheap but pretty well made leather trousers & jacket (Hunter Class) as well as a Frank Thomas Aqua fabric winter jacket with all the CE armour shoved in it!!
I always wear my trusty Shoei XR900 and Sidi Vertebra 2's.
Gloves-wise I have some FT Aqua foil lined thingys which are prwtty thin & still fairly warm although the colouring on the palms has started to flake off already after only 1,500miles of use! :evil: Also have a set of cheaper Carbon/Kevlar summer jobbies for when the weather gets better!
I now seem unable to prise myself out of my lovely Swift leathers - even on the bloomin' coldest of days!!

northwind
27-02-04, 09:01 PM
I've got a nice pair of Belstaff cordura trousers- couldn't find leathers I can wear over regular trousers- and a rather nasty Lookwell jacket... Both with Knox protectors. The jacket's got to go this year, probably for a higher quality, better armoured cordura jacket- this one's only got minimal back armour. Leathers might give better abrasion protection, but my cordura's kept me totally dry in the worst rain Scotland has to throw at me, while around me bikers in leathers dissolved.

On the feet, a nice pair of Cat boots. Again, due for an upgrade, but that'll wait till I'm actually riding my SV. Cruisers are less demanding on boots :) But they do leak badly in extreme wet.

On the head, a HJC matt black number with a Foggy insert- perfectly good lid for £100. Instructors might have a go at me for wearing a black lid instead of a nice high-visibility silver or white one, but honestly, my gear's covered in high-vis patches and my bike has a whacking great light on the front and back, so the black helmet's probably not going to get me killed. I need a neck warmer thing, mind.

Still not settled on gloves- got a good pair of Frank Thomas roo-skin ones with knuckle plates, but I've found myself warmer in the el-cheapo Hein Gericke pair my girlfriend bought me... Also got a pretty good pair of Rhino leather gloves, but the cuff's too small for winter riding.

And Debenhams socks.

jonboy
27-02-04, 09:05 PM
None of the above. Leather jeans and a textile jacket.

derbybiker
27-02-04, 09:15 PM
Cordura Jacket & Trousers for commuting.

2 piece leathers for any other time.

fraser01
27-02-04, 09:51 PM
Cordura Jacket & jeans, of course with leather gloves and boots..and not forgeting a snug fitting tin lid for my cone head.

I want a 2 piece leather jobby but i just don't have £300 spare, realistically next on the list will be a pair of leather jeans with knee and hip protectors....I often wonder if riders take out loans to afford all their smart gear, i know i can't afford it.

Fraser

Treacle
27-02-04, 10:07 PM
I also wear a H&G tribel 2 piace like most of the people here. Top bunch of lads and lady at there welling branch, very helpful.

GooseSVSK2
28-02-04, 12:21 AM
I have fallen off in jeans(albeit off a vespa 50 in 1985, at 25mph!) and it hurt like hell so I always ride in leathers even to the shops. :D
Dianese tribal 2pc suit in yellow silver and black. It has lasted well but it was waaay too expensive for what it is. For looks though, nothing comes close!!!!

Daz
28-02-04, 12:25 AM
I got a half price 2 piece set of Dainese Tribal :thumbsup:

Treacle: You wear tribel :shock: I think tribel's were were little furry creatures in the original Star Trek. (am I showing my age and imaturity :oops: ) Tribel suit - that's just cruel... :shock: And your tribel suit is proably not as protective as real leather :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Jazzman
28-02-04, 08:37 AM
Sometimes 2-piece Frank Thomas 'coz they fit
and other times 1-piece buffalo 'coz that fits too
and if its chucking it down sometimes textile/waterproof stuff.
allwoys leather boots and leather summer gloves unless it gets really hot (double figures type temperatures then I'll wear fabric gloves with knuckle protectors) :twisted: :P 8) :lol:

Baggies JIm
28-02-04, 09:13 AM
I've got Dianese seperates, leather - 2 piece suit. No back protector. However i've got a cordura jacket as well to save my Dianese jacket getting mucked up if I have to do an unavoidable mucky journey - like going down to Bristol the other day on the M6-M5.

sidi evo black rain boots - arlen ness gloves.

that's me :wink:

Dirty Baz
28-02-04, 09:27 AM
FT sonic textile jacket and black HooD jeans. also got waterproof over trousers from my mate at the postoffice!! :lol:
FT aqua winter gloves. also picked up a pair of FT summer gloves (with sweet carbon fibre knuckles!) for £15 on Ebay. they were factory seconds but only thing wrong this them is the FT logo is squinty.
Shoei Interceptor lid
Need to invest in a pair of Sidi black rains and that's me sorted for winter/spring.

Will be looking for a leather jacket and summer boots in a few months. Fancy splashing out on a A* stunt number!!

Cloggsy
28-02-04, 09:28 AM
As I started all this... I wear:-

Dainese 'USA 200' Jacket...

http://i8.ebayimg.com/02/i/01/3b/92/da_1_s.JPG

always with

http://i18.ebayimg.com/01/i/01/49/67/31_1.JPG

and (they don't quite match the jacket... but hey :? 8) )

http://i20.ebayimg.com/03/i/00/8b/16/4c_1.JPG

also SIDI Black rain Evo's

http://i23.ebayimg.com/02/i/01/2c/e8/c7_1.JPG

Or...

http://i3.ebayimg.com/02/i/01/36/bc/cf_1.JPG

with

http://i8.ebayimg.com/01/i/01/36/be/dc_1.JPG

Can you tell I quite like... Black :wink:

Dirty Baz
28-02-04, 09:38 AM
and orange!! :)

would you recommend the Black rains?? everyone seems to think they're brilliant.

Cloggsy
28-02-04, 09:44 AM
would you recommend the Black rains??

Baz... So far, so good - warm in the cold, don't make my feet sweat...

Good quality all round boot, comfortable, dry, non sweaty etc etc..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/fastshow/characters/images/louis_balfour2.jpg

"Niiiiice" :wink:

Dirty Baz
28-02-04, 10:00 AM
http://www.kpnservices.demon.co.uk/brilliant.jpg

Aren't Sidi BRIIILIANT!

Anonymous
28-02-04, 10:56 AM
2 piece leathers (HG) in the summer months with a newspaper down the front to stop my chest getting really cold (people were trying to hang their jackets on my nipples) and cordura stuff during the other 50 weeks of the year.

Luckypants
28-02-04, 11:18 AM
......with a newspaper down the front to stop my chest getting really cold (people were trying to hang their jackets on my nipples)

:shock: always brightens up the day!! :lol:

Have you tried wearing a neoprene bra? The girls I kayak with swear by them to keep thier chests warm in the winter. You can usually get them from a water ski or dive shop and they are like a sports bra in style.

Anonymous
28-02-04, 11:36 AM
Two piece AlpineStar leathers (they're about the only thing that fit my lanky frame).

During winter these are complimented by a Belstaff jacket and Shoei trousers to stop me freezing to death. Thats right, over the top of the leathers. I'm thin blooded and need all the help I can get.

AlpineStar SMX road/race boots, which have served me excellently. Although they aren't that waterproof, and I really need something else for winter :) A lovely pair of A* (again, yes I know!) GP Plus gloves for during summer, and a pair of someone-or-others winter gloves.

No back protector, but thats something I've been meaning to get for a good while... stupid weather and stupid bike costing me a fortune :) So there's no option for me, damn you!

FireSVMan
28-02-04, 12:07 PM
Belstaff condura jacket, Belstaff winter gloves; leather skins IXS leather boots when it is cold and wet

2 piece IXS. RST gloves leather and leather boots for the warmer weather
roll on the summer.

Anonymous
28-02-04, 12:12 PM
Have you tried wearing a neoprene bra? The girls I kayak with swear by them to keep thier chests warm in the winter. You can usually get them from a water ski or dive shop and they are like a sports bra in style.

will need to have a look out for one of those before i poke someones eye out :oops: :D

svsk2
28-02-04, 12:28 PM
Dainese two piece or Fieldsheer one piece or Joe Rocket mesh jacket in the summer.

Frank Thomas goretex winter gloves or Dainese race.

Always Goretex SMX 3's

Cloggsy
28-02-04, 01:24 PM
... people were trying to hang their jackets on my nipples

... and there's a problem with that :?: :shock: :D

madEG
28-02-04, 03:18 PM
Brain bucket is a HJC CL14. I want a Suomy Spec1R Martin model. I hear they are good for about 7HP at the wheel.

Well, until it warms up here I use Joe Rocket Blaster leathers. In a few months, when it is better than ~90F degrees day after day, one of those mesh/padded jackets will be needed (like the JR Phoenix or similar), and back to jeans if the bottoms prove too hot.

Gauntlets, er gloves, are the ICON TiMax full. I think they are built nicely, and are reasonably comfortable on my hands. I've seen posts that claim to have "heard from a friend, who saw a guy who crashed and those gloves exploded on impact." Some take shots at the 'fast an furious'ness' look of the gloves, which is fair enough. I can't (knock on wood...) debate their sturdyness, but my gut feeling is that they would deliver a crushing blow to any SOB who bumps me at a light. :twisted:

Boots? an old failing pair of doc martins. I had good experience with sidi in the past, so I am debating b1's or strada evo's.

graycat
28-02-04, 06:14 PM
I've got a HJC CL14 (I think) in silver, white and black with a silver visor for when it's sunny ;)

when it's warm and dry enough I wear:
HG 2 pc Tribal leathers (black, white and silver)
nitro gloves (no idea at the model) but they're going to be replaced with a pair with some serious armour :twisted:
and Bobo boots - cracking boots for almost all weather!

if it's a little colder i'll put a pair of cold killer inner gloves under the nitro ones as well as a cold killer top. not realy keen on the top as it's only wind proof in certain sections :( I also wear the textile winter jacket and the tribal leather trousers if the weather demands it :)

in winter / rain, I'll wear:
aprila 3/4 length textile jacket
either IXS armoured over trousers or another pair that i've got.
IXS winter gloves - pretty good and very cheap but there are better gloves out there.
HG waterproof 'sports style' boots - expensive and oddly sized :?

sometime in summer it'll be HG tribal jacket, jeans and BoBo boots.

Tim.

firestarter
28-02-04, 07:16 PM
Arai RX7RR Edwards rep lid

Dainese 3/4 length cordura jacket with CE elbow/shoulder

Frank Thomas Gore-tex cordura trousers with CE hip/knee pads
(I bought some of their own brand breathable codura trousers first - but these didn't breathe and were v. nasty)

Gaerne dry-tech touring boots

Frank thomas leather gloves (can't remember what style)
when it got cold/wet I bought:
Alpinestars Tech Road Gore-tex gloves (v. nice)
and when it got bloody cold I bought:
Frank Thomas 'Aqua' fabric/leather gloves (silver foil layer seems to do the job and keep hands warm in the coldest weather).

Usually wear either:
Dainese backpack with built in CE back protector or

Planet Knox 'Stowaway' back protector.

I'll probably get some leather gear for summer - maybe BMW, possibly some hood jeans too. I'm also thinking of getting some Sidi Courier boots - 'cos I think they look the business.

jonboy
28-02-04, 07:29 PM
I'll probably get some leather gear for summer

Perv! :lol:

firestarter
28-02-04, 07:36 PM
I'll probably get some leather gear for summer

Perv! :lol:

At least I don't wear fishnets under my jeans!!

:lol:

Balky001
28-02-04, 07:43 PM
nutty tart
2 piece leathers (HG) in the summer months with a newspaper down the front to stop my chest getting really cold (people were trying to hang their jackets on my nipples)

Broadsheet or tabloid?

Cloggsy
28-02-04, 08:12 PM
Broadsheet or tabloid?

I'm gonna find out at the Cat 'n' fiddle rideout :wink:

jonboy
28-02-04, 09:35 PM

:lol:

Dang, I've been sussed! :oops: :lol:

Treacle
29-02-04, 12:40 AM
[/quote]

:lol:[/quote]

Why not I do! :wink:

fourpaws
29-02-04, 02:12 PM
:D Im lucky - I live in Brum and we've got a great market place in the city centre and all the gear that Ive got (black leather jacket and jeans) are all CE approved with hip, knee, elbow and shoulder armour. And the best thing is that you can haggle with the market traders. I know that it sounds cheap but I got plain gear for £140. Some of you may scoff but when youre new to this game and just paid out a fortune for insurance and the like then youve got to find some bargains ! The gloves I got from Wellsbourne Market off Jct 12 on the M40 for £20 - armoured knuckles, all leather and long in the cuff. The jacket is double stitched as well and its heavy duty leather ! The boots are Nitro and they're from J+S - its in MCN quite a lot advertising - lovely place to shop in and very friendly. Ive spent most of my budget on my bone dome but then again its a Shoei Raid - but then again that was reduced in the sale from £200 to £140 ! :D

nutha newbie
29-02-04, 10:28 PM
Well as I bought my bike in a BMW dealer, I got a discount off their gear. I had hoped to get something that would do both spring and winter ( the only 2 seasons in scotland) and opted for the Rallye 2 Cordura jacket and matching trews. This thing has more linings than a heavily lined thing. All fully removable. The jacket has an armour lining, and a gortex lining, loads of zippable vents, have taken the back protection out of the jacket as i plan to use a pucker spine protector. BMW lid, with bmw boots complete the image, oh and bmw summer gloves, which i'm starting to regret as teh silk liners, although work fantastically, look rather poncey.

It did cost a few bob, but have to say, was out doing my DAS the last couple of saturdays, temp was barely above freezing and I was happily toastie warm :D

And yes, I'm expecting loads of strange looks, decked out on BMW gera and stepping ontto a Suzuki, but what the hell. :?

gerbilion
01-03-04, 08:16 AM
Dainese tribal two piece and knox back protector ! RST gloves but soon to change for the summer

The leathers and back protector helped me out on my plowing trip a few weeks back ! :thumbsup: cost a lot but hey saved me from getting hurt thats all i care about !

Oh yeh and a dainese tribal helmet ! colour matched for that power ranger look ! :lol: :lol: :lol:

trickdup
01-03-04, 09:12 AM
[quote="nutty tart"]people were trying to hang their jackets on my nipples/quote]

Do fancy coming on the trackday? We could do will a coat stand lol..

Kev :twisted:

Viney
01-03-04, 10:46 AM
Winter:

Cordura heated jacket(Not plugged in mind)
Cordura trousers
Black rains
Pair of many gloves depending on coldness!

Summer:

Shorts
White short sleeved t-shirt
Flip Flops
Knee & elbow pads

embee
01-03-04, 11:24 AM
Arai AstroJ

Leathers from here
http://www.bikersparadise.co.uk/
jacket+trousers excellent, boots very comfy but not waterproof

Hi-vis overstuff from here (civilian version) http://www.niton999.co.uk/asp/list.asp?category=sioen

Classic gloves from HG

In nasty weather, car from Toyota (namby pamby) :oops:

Nutty Tart - do you do anything in the way of paddock stands? :shock:

Anonymous
01-03-04, 11:39 AM
Nutty Tart - do you do anything in the way of paddock stands? :shock:

it depends on whether its front wheel or rear wheel :oops: :shock: :lol:

and as for track days, there will always be someone wanting to take advantage and get me to hold their helmet (badly phrased and am going to sit back and wait for the backlash, but its not what I meant) :oops: :oops: :oops: :lol:

PBx
01-03-04, 01:08 PM
[there will always be someone wanting to take advantage and get me to hold their helmet (badly phrased and am going to sit back and wait for the backlash, but its not what I meant) :oops: :oops: :oops: :lol:

Was it end float that you were talking about :D :D :D

svpilot
01-03-04, 01:35 PM
Summer:

Shorts
Flip Flops
Knee & elbow pads

Thats just irresponsible...

...you should add sunglasses to you summer kit to avoid getting dazzled.

RenamedMonkey
01-03-04, 01:46 PM
I tend to keep to rubber.... apparently.

And a pair of thermal socks.... my feet are very sensitive :wink:

Anonymous
01-03-04, 01:47 PM
Pair of leather chaps, on back to front with no jeans, leather wastecoat and a little leather cap with chains on it.....sorry, wrong forum.

PSX Hein Gericke Jacket and trousers....even worse....(nice fit, not baggy like some synthetic, bit over the top on the armour possibly and the back protector probably isnt up to much. Nice for synthetics thought. CAn't afford that and leathers, so hopefull will be comfy enough in summer, otherwise Vinyl will have a clone.

Anonymous
01-03-04, 01:52 PM
Summer:

Shorts
Flip Flops
Knee & elbow pads

Thats just irresponsible...
...you should add sunglasses to you summer kit to avoid getting dazzled.

:lol: :lol: :lol: