PDA

View Full Version : What lube do you use?

chutz
05-03-04, 08:11 PM
I have just bought some Castrol Chain Wax on a friend's recommendation but I hear the Wurth Dry Chain Lube is good stuff. What do you guys think is the best for anti-flick and protection? The Suzuki stuff I bought when I got the bike is ****.I had to do it at least once a week.

Cloggsy
05-03-04, 08:17 PM
I said 'Yes!' However, I ain't fitting a Scottoiler, I'm going for a Motrax Lubetronic instead... Does the same thing, apart from instead of being vacuum fed (Scottoiler,) this one is electric pump fed... Was recommended to go this route by a Suzuki dealer... I though, yeah, why not :shock:

:D

Big Bad Basil
05-03-04, 08:45 PM
I use lard.

chazzyb
05-03-04, 08:48 PM
I use lard.

Yeah, but what about your chain? :D

chazzyb
05-03-04, 08:55 PM
I've been using Morris Synthetic Race Chain Spray. It's *very* sticky so doesn't get flung off too badly. OTOH, all the crud sticks in it. I've never tried chain wax - it wasn't invented when I started biking. Once upon a time, I used to take the chain off, clean it and then heat it up in a big tin of tallow-type stuff that Duckhams used to sell for the purpose. Needless to say, chains used to run dry a lot of the time if you didn't ride British in them thar days.

I've had a Loobman chain oiler waiting for me to summon up the mental energy to install for four months. Who knows, maybe one day I'll be able to make some useful comments about that... :P

svsk2
05-03-04, 09:08 PM
Been running with Wurth Dry lube for the last couple of weeks. Haven't made my mind up about it yet. Makes it look as if you're running the chain naked! So far, so good though. The Wurth High Performance lube got top marks in a recent MCN test though.

curium
05-03-04, 10:31 PM
I use a scottoiler but I would also recommend 90W gear oil applied by paint brush overnight, although you'll need a paddock stand which tilts the balance in favour of a scottoiler.

doktaSV
06-03-04, 12:20 AM
I will definitely install a scott-loob-tronic-oiler-man on my bike when I get it. It'll be one less thing to forget to maintain/procrastinate about.

GooseSVSK2
06-03-04, 12:57 AM
it really must be a scottoiler.. surely anything else is far too much hassle :D

furkuk
06-03-04, 09:56 AM
Scottoiler for me, just fitted it. Busters accessories are doing it with a free dual injector for £69 so I bought one. Not tried it for any distance yet but it should work ok. Dead easy to fit on a K3

Cloggsy
06-03-04, 10:01 AM
Scottoiler for me, just fitted it. Busters accessories are doing it with a free dual injector for £69 so I bought one. Not tried it for any distance yet but it should work ok. Dead easy to fit on a K3

Really :?:

PM me details please... I might DIY fit one instead of a deal fit Motrax Lubetronic if its 'easy' :-k

Baggies JIm
06-03-04, 10:32 AM
paraffin, old t-shirt to wipe it with, followed by liberal but regular amounts of rock oil chain lube. that way i can regularly check to see if there's a smidgin of rust.

must be the best way, i've done 182000 miles on my K3 that I got this January. :wink:

Up the baggies

Moo
06-03-04, 04:02 PM
I have a scottoiler fitted but still give the chain a spray with a chain lube usally motule have been using PJ 1 blue lately which I'am not to keen on.

djh
06-03-04, 04:13 PM
I have always used Motorex 622 white.Tried pj 1 once and was 4ever cleaning it off.Thought of getting a scottoiler,not sure where to fit it,does it go under rear seat?

Clown
06-03-04, 04:57 PM
I had a Scottoiler on my old bike, KLR650, never needed to adjust the chain for 4000 miles. Result.

MikeyBEU
06-03-04, 08:52 PM
:) I fitted a Scottoiler and found I have to adjust the chain alittle less but it is set on max and still doesn't seam to put quite enough oil down when it's cold. I guess thats down to thick oil. so occasionally I use Silkolene spray lube after cleaning the chain with heating oil and a tooth brush, how sad am I!?! :oops:

chazzyb
06-03-04, 09:01 PM
Moobie, this is your best avatar yet; no offense! :D

Cloggsy
06-03-04, 09:19 PM
I got some Castrol chain wax spray today, just until I get a bloody Scottoiler (or suchlike)

Barty_b0y
07-03-04, 09:08 PM
dunno what others think but the wurth kit ( ie there range of products)is some of the best ive ever used so you should find compared to most it has good anti fling properties if nothing else :D

firestarter
07-03-04, 09:15 PM
Where do you buy your Wurth stuff from Barty?

The Wurth High Performance dry lube was rated best in a large test of chain lubes that MCN did a few weeks back.

firestarter
07-03-04, 09:21 PM
I found somewhere:

http://www.replicastuk.com/40107.html

rictus01
07-03-04, 09:34 PM
I've voted "yes" to the poll, and he's why.
http://forums.sv650.org/viewtopic.php?t=5118

Now I don't use any fancy oils or anything, just what's to hand ( sometimes new, but most times used engine oil)

it's set on the lowest setting and gets filled once a week.

Now I'm not some "once a week" rider and cover between 100-200 miles a day, which insures the chain is always oily, I guess you would need something sticky'er if you were to leave the bike for anytime.

I recon the scottoiler has saved me the price of a couple of chain & sprocket" sets, and is still going strong. (the scottoiler wasn't even new, it can off one of my other bikes).

Cheers Mark.

seamus orielly
08-03-04, 12:29 PM

Where did you put the resevoir on your K3, I'm fitting one next weekend and am torn between under the seat or down beside the rear shock.

Sean

Sid Squid
08-03-04, 12:38 PM
:) I fitted a Scottoiler and found I have to adjust the chain alittle less but it is set on max and still doesn't seam to put quite enough oil down when it's cold. I guess thats down to thick oil. so occasionally I use Silkolene spray lube after cleaning the chain with heating oil and a tooth brush, how sad am I!?! :oops:

Which colour of Scottoil are you using? The red oil is rather thicker than the blue oil, red is intended for warmer temps and sometimes doesn't flow very well in our less than balmy weather.
Nothing wrong with obsessive cleaning regimes, I have a selection of old toothbrushes for various cleaning purposes.

furkuk
08-03-04, 06:21 PM
I put mine under the seat next to the tool kit, there is a pre drilled hole in the seat mechanism and the Scottoiler fitted perfectly, easy to adjust and out of the weather

Cloggsy
09-03-04, 01:34 PM
I put mine under the seat next to the tool kit, there is a pre drilled hole in the seat mechanism and the Scottoiler fitted perfectly, easy to adjust and out of the weather

Ordered mine from 'Busters' today... They're doing a deal on a Scottoiler, with a dual feed pipe for £69 + £3.50 P&P (need to be quick if you want one... The offer is nearly over :shock: )

Thanks to furkuk for the 'heads up' :wink:

Cloggsy
09-03-04, 01:37 PM
I said 'Yes!' However, I ain't fitting a Scottoiler, I'm going for a Motrax Lubetronic instead... Does the same thing, apart from instead of being vacuum fed (Scottoiler,) this one is electric pump fed... Was recommended to go this route by a Suzuki dealer... I though, yeah, why not :shock:

:oops: scratch that then huh :?: I'll never hang myself will I :?: :D