PDA

View Full Version : 'K3 owners, we need you' Please read & comment

Cloggsy
11-03-04, 02:32 PM
We are trying to get evryone who owns a K3 to write a letter of complaint in to Suzuki UK reference poor wet weather running (due to the lack of a useful front fender,) whether you have experienced poor wet weather running or not (i.e. running on one cylinder etc.) Please read through the thread below :wink:

http://forums.sv650.org/viewtopic.php?p=50048#50048

The letter (as seen in the above thread)...

[Your address, in full (top right)]

Managing Director,
Suzuki GB Plc,
46-62 Gatwick Road,
Crawley
West Sussex
RH10 9XF

CC. Stefan Bartlett [To send a copy to the editor of Ride magazine]
Editor
RIDE Magazine
Media House
Lynchwood
Peterborough Business Park
Peterborough
PE2 6EA.

[Date (on right hand side)]

Sir,

Re. WET WEATHER RUNNING PROBLEM WITH K3 SV650/1000’s

This letter relates to wet weather running problems I have become aware of [or list times/dates where you have experienced these problems] with the Suzuki SV650/1000 N/S's. [delete as applicable (i.e. N/S model)] My bike is a Suzuki SV[650/1000N/S] K3. Registration No. [enter registration number]

On [date you took delivery of your bike] I took delivery of a new Suzuki SV650/S [delete as applicable] K3. It proved to be exactly what I hoped for and had come to expect from Suzuki. However, I am aware that a lot of people who own SV’s have had problems with running their motorcycles in the wet. I have checked on www.sv650.org where SV riders air their views on their bikes. They stated this fault was well known and the cure was to fit a front ‘Fender Extender’, to extend the front mudguard.

As this is a commonly known fault that I was wondering why the original front fender hasn’t been modified to correct this problem across the range & also why the K3 machines haven’t been recalled to have an extender fitted as a matter of course, instead of expecting riders to bear the cost of fitting a modification to correct an obvious design flaw.

I would be very please to hear your comments on this matter.

Yours sincerely,

[Your signature]

[Name]

We're planning on these letters being posted on Saturday 13th Mar 2004 (Don't forget, one to Suzuki, one to Ride magazine :wink: ) Can everyone get the letters filled in, dated, signed & in the post by then :?:

Let me know :wink:

Also, can you stick a 'Yes' or 'No' reply on here to signify whether you're writing in or not please :?:

Dirty Baz
11-03-04, 02:37 PM
yes.

but I am ammending mine slightly to say I don;t have the bike yet as you know. :wink:

Ed
11-03-04, 02:38 PM
Yes - will send when I collect the baby on Saturday.

Daz
11-03-04, 02:45 PM
I will be in Spain on holiday 8-[ but will send it as soon as possible, there after.

BillyC
11-03-04, 03:18 PM
Just a quick correction....

The Suzuki address is actually:

Suzuki GB PLC
46-62 Gatwick Road
Crawley
West Sussex
RH10 9XF

Not Crawley Road :lol:
I can verify this, because I work on Fleming Way in Crawley, which is opposite the Suzuki building!

Sid Squid
11-03-04, 03:21 PM
Ermmm, I notice you are including the SV1000 in your, (understandable), whinge to Suzuki.
I've not had a problem with mine, even in some pretty miserable weather, which I know would have caused my 650 (SY model), to give a little hiccup or two, (I know 'cos it did).
Have there been any other 1000 owners who have had the problem? I've not heard this myself.

RenamedMonkey
11-03-04, 03:42 PM
That's why originals are the best. In black of course. The whole colour thing is getting a bit tired....

moggy
11-03-04, 03:49 PM
I can't say that I have had a problem with either of my K3s and I have ridden them in wet weather for extended periods.

geeksv
11-03-04, 03:49 PM
I wont be sending this, My SV1000S has NEVER had a problem with the wet, rode it all winter in all weathers, and have put 6800miles on the clock in 5 months to prove it.

Suspect its only an SV650 problem

Cloggsy
11-03-04, 03:56 PM
Ermmm, I notice you are including the SV1000 in your, (understandable), whinge to Suzuki.
I've not had a problem with mine, even in some pretty miserable weather, which I know would have caused my 650 (SY model), to give a little hiccup or two, (I know 'cos it did).
Have there been any other 1000 owners who have had the problem? I've not heard this myself.

I wont be sending this, My SV1000S has NEVER had a problem with the wet, rode it all winter in all weathers, and have put 6800miles on the clock in 5 months to prove it.

Suspect its only an SV650 problem

Geeksv & Sid, we just wanted to create as much mail as possible to get a better reaction :!: I haven't had any problems with my K3 650S, but as far as I can see, the K3's has a completely useless front fender whch doesn't do what it should...

If you dont wish to send a letter, then that's your perogative :wink:

I can't say that I have had a problem with either of my K3s and I have ridden them in wet weather for extended periods.

Moggy, as above really... If you don't want to participate, thats fine :!: The fact of the matter is, if Suzuki decide to do a recall modification, then what has it cost you, 2 x 1st class stamps :wink:

BillyC
11-03-04, 03:58 PM
My two letters are sitting here, signed, in their envelopes!

moggy
11-03-04, 04:51 PM
Moggy, as above really... If you don't want to participate, thats fine :!: The fact of the matter is, if Suzuki decide to do a recall modification, then what has it cost you, 2 x 1st class stamps :wink:
I am quite willing to support things, but at the moment, from this discussion you are the only one that has experienced this problem. If this is the case and Suzuki does listen to the letters, then they could end up making a modification which may have its own problems.

My approach personally would be attempt to establish the scale of the problem first before rousing the troops to action. It would put your argument in a stronger position.

Cloggsy
11-03-04, 05:30 PM
...but at the moment, from this discussion you are the only one that has experienced this problem.

I haven't had any problems with my K3 650S, but as far as I can see, the K3's has a completely useless front fender whch doesn't do what it should...

I've seen it posted on here quite a few times about people having problems with losing a cylinder in the wet. As I said, if you read the threads, you'll see many more people who have had problems - I haven't but why does that mean we can't stand united :?: We're all joined by a common thing; namely the SV650/1000 :!:

Baggies JIm
11-03-04, 05:33 PM
Cloggsy hasn't had a problem, neither have I. However there is a substantial of material on here with people who have.

K3 650 owners are buying fender extenders to combat the problem just in case. We shouldn't have to. Cloggsy is just responding to quite a few peoples interest in wet weather running problems. isn't prevention better than cure especially when you're getting water in your engine :cry:

Jimbob :wink:

BillyC
11-03-04, 06:00 PM
Putting it simply... if there was no problem, the fenda extenda, wouldn't exist!

Mariner
11-03-04, 06:15 PM
On the K3 models, Suzuki have addressed the problem. There is a rubber flap behind the radiator which prevents the water entering the spark plug hole for the front cylinder. This was the original problem on the previous models, which just had a rubber grommet to protect the front spark plug( this grommet usually got lost at the first service!). Are you sure that it is still a problem? Because to my knowledge it has not affected any of the new machines, obviously I stand to be shot down in flames :-# Before taking issue with Suzuki are we sure we still have a problem!

Akula
11-03-04, 06:18 PM
cutting/pasting and amending as I type, well not quite as I type, but after i type, ermm i think, well u know what i mean :?

Regards

Akula

aka Martin

Cloggsy
11-03-04, 07:14 PM
As everyone else is doin' theirs, I suppose I'd better do mine :wink:

fraser01
11-03-04, 07:23 PM
done

regards

Fraser :D

MikeyBEU
11-03-04, 07:53 PM
Hi Mariner

you wrote
On the K3 models, Suzuki have addressed the problem. There is a rubber flap behind the radiator which prevents the water entering the spark plug hole for the front cylinder. This was the original problem on the previous models, which just had a rubber grommet to protect the front spark plug( this grommet usually got lost at the first service!). Are you sure that it is still a problem? Because to my knowledge it has not affected any of the new machines, obviously I stand to be shot down in flames Before taking issue with Suzuki are we sure we still have a problem!

Mine has the little rubber flap and it went big style!! My front cylinder wouldn't fire even the day after running in the rain!!

Mike

Cloggsy
11-03-04, 07:54 PM
done

Mine too :D

MikeyBEU
11-03-04, 08:00 PM
Letter ready to go!

Come on we need more!!!

Cloggsy
11-03-04, 08:01 PM
Letter ready to go!

Come on we need more!!!

Have you done 2 copies... One to the editor of 'Ride' too :wink:

MikeyBEU
11-03-04, 08:49 PM
Yep!

Stamped and licked!! :riding:

ophic
11-03-04, 09:30 PM
you can count me in, too - not that i ride in the wet :oops:

moggy
11-03-04, 11:28 PM
Putting it simply... if there was no problem, the fenda extenda, wouldn't exist!
It would; along with the nice neat undertray replacement, the mini indicators, the lowers, the countless other improvements that various companies think are essential to a good SV.

moggy
11-03-04, 11:47 PM
It would; along with the various aftermarket "essentials" that various companies feel obliged to sell us

BillyC
12-03-04, 12:16 AM
LOL...

Moggy I think you should've gone to bed after the first time you posted that message!

I appreciate that things like undertrays look good (and tidy up the rear spade), and huggers stop **** being flung all over the back of the bike, and exhausts sound good... but the humble front fender... just needed to be a bit longer at the back.. they could've done this when they made it, but for some reason they chose not to - because they wanted crap flung on the bike? They did this because they knew it would cause problems, and for people to desire their "fix" for this!

moggy
12-03-04, 12:23 AM
I would

but for some reason this evening, though I can see replies to my posts, I cannot see my posts??

dunno why

moggy
12-03-04, 12:25 AM
Oh
now the bloody PC has decided to show that the earlier post did actually work!

technick
12-03-04, 09:15 AM
The letters are done signed and stamped are ready to go.

Cloggsy
12-03-04, 09:32 AM
:shock: My missus has took my letters with her to post... She saw 'em on the side :!:

I've just text'd her & she's mailed 'em already :!: :roll:

Just send the letters as & when you can (on or before Saturday)... I'm sure the influx of letters will still strike a chord with Mr Suzuki UK (& indeed 'Ride' magazine) :!:

Anonymous
12-03-04, 09:51 AM
Mine are in the out tray :D

Boomer
12-03-04, 10:37 AM
Mines in the post. Lets wait and see what happens.

BillyC
12-03-04, 10:40 AM
Mine will be delivered, by hand, this lunchtime!

Cloggsy
12-03-04, 10:46 AM

Be careful crossing the road :wink:

BillyC
12-03-04, 10:56 AM
feck that... I'll be on the SV!

MitchC
12-03-04, 10:59 AM
Hey,

I think this is a great idea Cloggsy. I wish I could contribute, but I am pretty confident Suzuki UK wouldn't care if I sent a letter from overseas to him... then again... to take the effort... overseas... Meh. I would send mine to Suzuki Canada, but I do not think my solo letter would do much good. And I haven't had the problem with my bike as I am not crazy about riding in the wet weather, NOT to say I wouldn't send the letter anyways if I was in the UK. Hope things go over well, good luck all. I love the comradery here on SV650.org... :lol: Thanks,

Mitch

Amanda M
12-03-04, 11:18 AM

Sorry, but that just sounds rude :lol:

Amanda

Cloggsy
12-03-04, 11:30 AM

Amanda

Bit of a girl 'eh :?: More power to yer elbow (for what ever you deem fit :wink: )

BillyC
12-03-04, 11:33 AM

Amanda

My god, you really need a firm hand don't you!

Cloggsy
12-03-04, 11:37 AM
My god, you really need a firm hand don't you!

Anyway... Back to the 'Yes, 'No' or maybe she does... maybe she doesn't :wink:

harrisman
12-03-04, 12:14 PM
Hi guys just seen the thread i cant send a letter of as i aint at home. It is a bit concerning though this problem! I have used mine in some really ****ty weather as it is the only form of transport that i have. And as of yet i havent experienced any problems. I give my support and will send a letter when i get back home next week.

Bloody british weather just has to always put a mockers on things doesnt it?!!!!!!!!!1

Jabba
12-03-04, 12:21 PM

Amanda

Beat me to it :D

Actually, that sounds rude, too :oops: :lol:

Cloggsy
12-03-04, 12:44 PM
Hi guys just seen the thread i cant send a letter of as i aint at home.

That's no excuse, are you out of the country :?: :wink:

Cloggsy
12-03-04, 01:45 PM
So, who's postin' letters & who ain't :?: I've added a poll question on the thread, perhaps that will be easier to see numbers etc :wink:

harrisman
12-03-04, 05:25 PM
No in london!! So may as well b!!! Bit rushed at the mo as off celebrating me mates 21st. Will do on monday!!!!! DO NOT WORRY I WILL NOT LET THE SIDE DOWN.

MikeyBEU
12-03-04, 09:37 PM
:D Just been through this thread and had a count up. I know theres the pole now but not everybody whose sent has come back to look I guess. anyway we have letters done from:

Cloggsy, Dirty Baz, Sythree, Billy C, MikeyBEU, Akula, Fraser01, Ophic, technick, Dr Rich and Boomer .... that makes 11 with laters promised from Daz and Harrisman. Not exactly a paper mountain but hopefully enough to get the ball rolling.

Maybe we should give it a month or so and then have another go so that the rest of the members here, who don't visit that often can join in. Maybe if we set a date further ahead it will give people more time to join in. :wink:

:evil: Remeber guys and galls you may not have had the problem yet, but I have ridden all winter through some pretty nasty weather and only had the problem recently on a pretty mildly wet day. I seems to be a "build up" thing, maybe to do the with daft design of the drainage port being on the opposite side to the side stand, maybe its a salt thing or a dirt thing. What ever it is watch out all you who do ride in the wet as I'm really not looking forward to it happening again, maybe this time while I'm fully commited to a slippy corner or an overtake!!! If it can be prevented lets make Suzuki sort it out and not put us or our great little bike at risk. :x

:oops: Sorry I'm down off my soap box now!!

MikeyBEU
12-03-04, 09:58 PM
Just had another thought, is it possible or even allowed to send an email to all the registered members (who gave an email address that is) asking for support. :?

Is there some way of going it without having to manually go through the Memberlist? Could a administrator do it??

So many questions, so little time!! :roll:

doktaSV
12-03-04, 10:07 PM
Just had another thought, is it possible or even allowed to send an email to all the registered members (who gave an email address that is) asking for support. :?

Is there some way of going it without having to manually go through the Memberlist? Could a administrator do it??

Isn't that spam?

DeeJay
13-03-04, 12:46 AM
sending private messages is NOT the way to get support.... i got one from you, and i have not interset or side in this arguement (SK1 owner)... but to receive a PM about it is not what i wanted.. never even given the choice. :? :? :?

If you have an arguement with Suzuki, then take it up with them, fair play to you.....but it is notmy arguement, so no PM necessary....

MikeyBEU
13-03-04, 07:55 PM
To DeeJay. Sorry for any offence, none was intended. SPAM is definately not the way to go I realised that as pretty soon after pushing the send button.

Won't happen again :oops:

Mike

DeeJay
14-03-04, 01:12 AM
sorry mate, i had a few beers when i posted that... stilll, pm'ing people isn't the way to get the support you need... but fair play for standing up for what you want.... sorry again if i came across as a w***er.... :oops:

bootsock
15-03-04, 12:52 PM
Not meaning to be the sceptic here but surely if there's a load of messages pretty much word for word the same then aren't they going to be taken a little less seriously?

I've never had a problem with mine in the rain or snow, I'm more worried about rust on mine more than anything so I think that I'll send a letter, but with some ammendments to cover this...

howardr
15-03-04, 01:38 PM
To all those of you who say "I've never had a problem and I ride in the rain all the time ..."

You WILL get this problem. My SV650SY was as reliable as hell for two years before it started happening - I then fitted the fender extenda and it was cured.

I've seen the front fender on the K3 and, frankly, it's a joke. Write NOW and maybe you'll save yourself the cost of this mod later. Unless you live in California you ARE going to need a fender extenda.

Cloggsy
15-03-04, 02:56 PM
To all those of you who say "I've never had a problem and I ride in the rain all the time ..."

You WILL get this problem. My SV650SY was as reliable as hell for two years before it started happening - I then fitted the fender extenda and it was cured.

I've seen the front fender on the K3 and, frankly, it's a joke. Write NOW and maybe you'll save yourself the cost of this mod later. Unless you live in California you ARE going to need a fender extenda.

Thanks for your comments, maybe now people will put pen to paper :?:

MikeyBEU
15-03-04, 06:20 PM
Right on Cloggsy.

It's raining down here again :roll: and I'm almost afraid to take the dam thing out, now that's not on. I love riding my little blue baby, even in the rain. Can you imagine not wanting to take her out??! :shock: That's just not on! :x

Mike

Anonymous
15-03-04, 07:16 PM
Cloggsy I know this may be a daft question but as we don,t seem to be having a roaring sucess with the paper letters can,t we all bombard SUZUKI with e-mails and just keep sending them every day till we do get a responce I have stated in my letter that after reading other users reports and the negative response from SUZUKI that should I be involved in any further incidents/accidents due to this inherant water ingres problem I will be holding them resposible ----- knowing that they have been negligent in an apparent design fault

What about the other avenue of NICKY CAMPBELL on the tele He might take up the cause if we all send in e-mails or letters

100% WITH YOU ALL ON THIS ONE

Imust admit that since I have fitted the extender no probs and the finance side £15 .99 isnt my real issue ------SAFTEY IS

MikeyBEU
15-03-04, 07:33 PM
I've also pushed the safety aspect, in my letter. I'm sure this is the way to get results.

Mike

MikeyBEU
16-03-04, 07:40 PM
I had a phone cal from Mr Suzuki today (well not the Mr Suzuki but some bloke from their customer service dept anyway). Seems my letter has got a response!!!

They want to inspect my bike (next wednesday 24th). I'll let you know what happens!!

Mike

TheLeprechaun
16-03-04, 08:01 PM
Maybe I missed this earlier in the thread, but...

What do you guys propose that Suzuki does about this problem?

MikeyBEU
16-03-04, 08:28 PM
Personnally I'm looking for a perminant fix, if it means a longer fender or different design to the plug cap I don't much care as long as I can ride in the wet with confidence again.

Most people feel the fender extender does the trick (I think one person reported continuation of the problem). So I think they should at least install that on most bikes, i.e. a recall.

Idealy, longer term they ought to look at lengthening the front fender as standard and maybe even improving the drainage from the front cylinder so that water does not build-up, but I imagine this will mean a pretty majour revamp of the cylinder head.

Cloggsy
17-03-04, 10:36 AM
Woo-Hoo :D ...

However, I haven't had a call :( Or a letter :x

Cloggsy
17-03-04, 12:13 PM
What do you guys propose that Suzuki does about this problem?

If you make something, which obviously has a design flaw, surely, you have to correct it... This flaw in this case can be corrected by simply fitting a front fender extenda, therefore, Suzuki should provide riders with a front fender extenda mod via a dealer re-call :!:

Riders of SV's shouldn't be expected to have to pay for a mod to correct a problem with a design :!:

Cloggsy
20-03-04, 04:02 PM
I had a letter back from Suzuki this morning & this is what they said...

Thank you for your letter of 12th Mar 2004 addressed to the managing director, Mr Awano. He has read your correspondence and in view of your comments has requested that Customer Services respond on his behalf.

I acknowledge your concerns over a wet weather running with the SV650, which you have read about on the internet. I can confirm that Suzuki has no history to indicate a common difficulty with this model. However, in light of your concerns I have forwarded a copy of your comments to Suzuki's Technical team. In the unlikely event that you do experience an issue with your machine, please arrange for it to be inspected by your authorised Suzuki dealer.

Whilst it is not possible to give a cast iron guarentee against the failure of a mechanical product, in line with all manufacturers Suzuki offer warranty for peace of mind. Please rest assured that any issue, which is attributable to a deficiency in the original manufacturing process, will be rectified free of charge provided the warranty is valid and the manufacturer's recommendations have been fully met.

In closing, thank you for taking the time to write to Suzuki Customer Service.

Yourse sincerely

Kerrie Clements
Suzuki Customer Services

So, basically, if you want to prevent a problem with potential wet weather running, you have to buy y'self a fender extenda, 'cause Suzuki ain't interested unless your bike breaks down & it's under warranty :!:

What's this about 'No history' :?: Loads of people have written to them about this very same problem :!:

Barty_b0y
20-03-04, 04:25 PM
I had a letter back from Suzuki this morning & this is what they said...

please arrange for it to be inspected by your authorised Suzuki dealer.

Please rest assured that any issue, which is attributable to a deficiency in the original manufacturing process,
will be rectified free of charge provided the warranty is valid and the manufacturer's recommendations have been fully met.

Kerrie Clements
Suzuki Customer Services

So, basically, if you want to prevent a problem with potential wet weather running, you have to buy y'self a fender extenda, 'cause Suzuki ain't interested unless your bike breaks down & it's under warranty :!:

What's this about 'No history' :?: Loads of people have written to them about this very same problem :!:

but the problem is a deficianty in the manfacturing procees ie

some stupid geek got over eager with making the front mudguard to small causing a water flooding problem to the front cyclinder

as well as that they put the drain for it on the bloody wrong side of the bike so when you jump of it to have a look it wont be cured as it can`t drain

how good is that ???

carry on cloggsy give em some more get the rest to as well

you know it`s the only way :D

Cloggsy
20-03-04, 06:52 PM
You're telling me... In the interests of 'prevention being better than cure' - Suzuki don't seem to be able to see past the end of their noses :!:

Cost of a front fender extender = £15 (probably less for Suzuki)

Fitting = 10 mins (£7.50 labour)

Total = £22.50

Cost of stripping down the front cylinder = £ :?:

I might write another letter detailing your points Barty :wink:

Barty_b0y
20-03-04, 07:19 PM
if everyone who says they will send a letter do and they get the same response then draft a similar letter outlining the key points above

and suggest you even lend them your bike to prove the theory of the sv being rubbish in the wet as a standard machine that will break down

if they all re send with that suzuki must take note then

after that tell them that they have sold you an item that isnt fit for the purpose it was intended for
(this then goes down the trading standards road and you can claim compensation)
and under european legislation ask them to foot the bill for the repair to the bike (at a dealership of there choice of course) as it is an oversight in its technical design that has brought about this undesirable flaw when wet weather riding

just a thought but you gonna have to get on there case they wont roll over and pay up easily

if there`s quite a few with the exact same gripe then they will have to take note

and after that try

tell tham also that if they dont sort out the problem that you will write to mcn telling them that you have spoke to suzuki regaurding this and they refuse to do anything ie ( tough tit sonny )so your gonna disrespect there sv650 all over the uk for everyone to read :D

= loss in sales hurt them where it hurts most :wink:

see if that shakes them a bit :D

Akula
20-03-04, 07:23 PM
I would only use the last 2 paragraphs as a last resort, no point in getting theri backs up before they give the DEFINITIVE NO CHANCE.......

Regards

Akula

aka Martin

Cloggsy
20-03-04, 07:37 PM
tell tham also that if they dont sort out the problem that you will write to mcn telling them that you have spoke to suzuki regaurding this and they refuse to do anything ie ( tough tit sonny )so your gonna disrespect there sv650 all over the uk for everyone to read :D

Everyone that wrote to Suzuki, also sent a carbon copy to the Editor of Ride magazine... I'll be interested to see if they pick up on it in the next issue :?: :?: :?:

Barty_b0y
20-03-04, 07:46 PM
Everyone that wrote to Suzuki, also sent a carbon copy to the Editor of Ride magazine... I'll be interested to see if they pick up on it in the next issue :?: :?: :?:

but thats good

hmm not read all the posts chap as i cant afford a new one ;D
only a crappy old one for me :(

Viva la revolution:D

Cloggsy
20-03-04, 07:50 PM
... i cant afford a new one, only a crappy old one for me :(

I don't understand this bit mate #-o

Cloggsy
20-03-04, 08:18 PM
I'd be interested to see who's had replies & who hasn't :!: :!: :!:

MikeyBEU
20-03-04, 08:20 PM
Hi All,

I also received a letter today:-

Thank you for your letter of 12 March addressed to the Managing Director, Mr Awano. He has read your correspondence and in view of your comments has requested that customer Services respond on his behalf.

I was sorry to learn that you have experienced a running difficulty with your SV650SK3. Expectations of reliability and build quality are high when you purchase a Suzuki motorcycle and any concern is disappointing.

Warranty is intended as a safeguard against a defect developing within your machine, which can be attributed to deficiency in the original manufactring process and which occurs within the warranty period. Before Suzuki can consider a warranty claim, an authorised Suzuki dealer will need to access the motorcycle and then decide whether or not the matter can be attrbuted to a deficiency in the original manufacturing process.

In light of your concerns, Suzuki has arranged for your machine to be inspected at the premises of GT Motorcycles in St.Austell on Wednesday 24 March by Suzuki's Area Technical Manager.

In closing, I hope the above information helps to claify Suzuki's position and thank you for taking the time to wrtie to Suzuki Customer Service.

Yours sincerely

Kerrie Clements
Suzuki Customer Services

No mention of fit for use in the UK weather, no mention of original design concept, no mention of safety concerns, only of "deficiency in the manufacturing process".

Well I will write back re-iterating that whether a "deficiency in the original manufacturing process" is found or not, the fact remains that my (and many other bikes) cannot be relied upon to run in/after wet conditions and this only months after receiving the motorcycle. Clearly this suggests my machine is not fit for it's intended use, and by dint of the other reported problems, it is not alone.

Thoughts anyone??

Mike

Cloggsy
20-03-04, 09:50 PM
Mike, thanks for the PM & posting the contents of your letter...

Suzuki won't admit liability - as I've said earlier, they can't see past the end of the profit margines - sorry, I mean't noses :oops: They'd rather spend hundreds of pounds in labour bills for a stripdown inspection than £22.50 ish for the fitting of a front fender extenda...

Now that to me is just plain silly - but I'm not an MD of a Japanise giant am I :?:

A recall of all K3's & the offer of a fender extenda wouldn't be the end of the world to Suzuki - But I dunno whether they'll do that or not :?:

Barty Boy had a good point when he said...

but the problem is a deficianty in the manfacturing procees ie

some stupid geek got over eager with making the front mudguard to small causing a water flooding problem to the front cyclinder

as well as that they put the drain for it on the bloody wrong side of the bike so when you jump of it to have a look it wont be cured as it can`t drain

how good is that ???

If you look at the front cylinder, water cannot run away from the cylinder when the bike is upright :shock: WTF is that all about :?: Good design feature - NOT!

Mike, I'm with you mate, I'll keep writing letters 'til the cows come home - keep me informed :wink:

Chris
20-03-04, 10:28 PM
I also received the generic letter.

at least with this letter they can no longer use the claim that they have no history of this fault.

Barty_b0y
21-03-04, 12:17 AM
reguarding mikeys bike going into the workshop here is your opportuninty to open it up for suzukis downfall

if mikey tell the shop to drive it pray to god in the rain all day on the 24th then you will get the result you want failing that ask him to say they ran it through a set of tests they designed themselves as they had a few sv`s with the same complaints and there is your answer

yes mr suzuki this bike is deficiant in the fact that

1 the bike under use in the rain will stop ,splutter, fail (when rain is prevalent on the road surface causing spray )

2 the reason for this is an oversight in using such a small front mudgaurd that allows the wheel to spray the front cylinder and sparkplug

3 which due to a design flaw will not let water from it ( the drain hole)

solved :D

they will surrender the report then suzuki has a design flaw = recall :D

Cloggsy
21-03-04, 11:31 AM
... they will surrender

We'll see huh :?: If history is anything to go by, the Jap's don't like surrendering do they :?:

MikeyBEU
24-03-04, 12:07 PM
Hi All,

Just got back from the dealers (they still have the bike), spoke to the area technical guru block (Mike Something, abit short on details aren't I?). He will be trying to recreate problem with hose & pressure washer. Then he will take Coil - Plug cap away (giving me a nice new set!) for analysis. He does not believe the Fender Extender is the answer, as the bike is designed to run in the wet without it!! He thinks the problem is most likely to be a poorly fitting / or deformed plug cap.

He's also looking at one other bike (Anyone else getting their bike looked at?) and will get back to me with a report.

He did however say thet the dealer were wrong in saying the original problem was not a warrantee issue. The plug may not be covered, but the water ingress was and this was most likely the cause of the plug failure. So don't take no rubbish from dealers charging for fitting a new plug if you've had this problem.

I'll let you know what happens when I get it back tonight.

Mike

Barty_b0y
24-03-04, 08:21 PM
just as long as he hoses uphill it should do the trick and replicate water spray from the front

The Suzuki guru is god :D

by the way was he japanese???

ok ill get my coat :(

nigel
24-03-04, 09:44 PM
firstly i must say i have ridden my sv1000 through a virtual monsoon going to popham the other day it never missed a beat i cant see what your problem is, it had the same fender when you bought it ? you should have drawn the salesman's attention to the fender then not now. If suzuki wont recall the busa for what was clearly a safety issue or the TL for seriously bad handling what chance do you think you will have wingeing about a fender? Save your breath and drive for a real issue, this wont even get passed the secretary.

Cloggsy
24-03-04, 10:15 PM
firstly i must say i have ridden my sv1000 through a virtual monsoon...

We ain't talkin' SV1000's though are we :?: We atre conserned about SV650's which seem to suffer :!:

MikeyBEU
24-03-04, 10:19 PM
Nigel

I think you are missing the point some what. It's not a case of how heavy the rain is when you ride through it. It's how often and how any, poor design allows, build up to cause a component to fail. As for your comment you made about the size of the fender, something I personnally did not even think about when I test rode the bike, as I assumed it would be designed to do the job it was intended for.

All I want is a bike that is fit for it's intended purpose, which to me is to be ridden on UK roads, no matter what the weather. A bike that will not, reliably, get me to work and home is not fit for use and the issue, is thus, pretty important to me.

Mike

Couerdelion
24-03-04, 10:20 PM
firstly i must say i have ridden my sv1000 through a virtual monsoon going to popham the other day it never missed a beat i cant see what your problem is, it had the same fender when you bought it ?

Is this like some kind of NIMBY-ism just cause it hasn't happened to you it isn't a problem? When/If it does you will be severley pi**ed off. Trust me, twisting the accelerator, releasing the clutch and having your bike cut out whilst a hgv is heading your way isn't my idea of fun.

you should have drawn the salesman's attention to the fender then not now.

Do you really think that everyone knew that the bike wasn't able to be used in the rain when they bought it. I used it once on a 300 mile journey when it happened and I'm loathed to use it in the rain again.

The problem is that we all bought bikes to use with out the additional worry of it cutting out when it's raining. Yes, some bikes have worse problems but this is a SV site so we are only gonna be moaning about the SV.

Save your breath and drive for a real issue, this wont even get passed the secretary.

What's it cost us? about a £1 for envelopes, paper and stamps. If it gets us a new fender extender then great, if not then c'est la vie.

Barty_b0y
24-03-04, 11:43 PM
What's it cost us? about a £1 for envelopes, paper and stamps. If it gets us a new fender extender then great, if not then c'est la vie.

viva le revolution :D

Anonymous
25-03-04, 08:08 AM
Everything is worth trying...we shouldnt just sit back and wait for a problem to occurr. We have been proactive. At least now Suzuki cant claim 'no one said anything'.

I got the reassuring letter. btw.

Now I'm as surprised as anyone that water can get up there. I got at the plug this week and took out the connector and everything thinking theres no way water is going to get down here. Guess what...there was no water inside the connector itself but the rubber was wet right at the base. I hadn't run in the wet much but have been doiung some vigarous cleaning. I wonder if water is going BACK DOWN the plug drain???? Any ideas?