PDA

View Full Version : Tie downs

trickdup
11-04-04, 07:40 PM
Anybody bought any of the straps that fix to the handlebars and the ratchet tie-down to prevent the bike falling over on the ferry?

Kev

RenamedMonkey
12-04-04, 01:27 PM
I've heard some horror stories of bikes getting trashed and P&O refusing to accept liability :?

You think it would be wise to bring extra tie downs? How do they tie down normally? Do they at all? Surely...

geeksv
12-04-04, 04:12 PM
Steve and everyone who went last year, all say the ferry companies ones were fine.

Perhaps one of those would like to comment more...

furkuk
12-04-04, 04:16 PM
Take your own tie downs
I went to Santander 2 years ago and the only thing that was provided was rope. So unless you was a boy scout or good with ropes for other reasons :wink: take your own.

trickdup
12-04-04, 06:27 PM
see my post in the general section. Really good quality.

Kev

Jelster
12-04-04, 08:30 PM
We had no problems at all last year, although I would suggest that you take a couple of cloths to make sure they don't rub against the paintwork.

Good tips....

Leave it in gear & put a small bungie cord around the front brake lever, therefore locking both wheels....

RenamedMonkey
13-04-04, 11:20 AM
Leave it in gear & put a small bungie cord around the front brake lever, therefore locking both wheels....

Good idea, thanks :P

Chris1
17-03-05, 01:47 PM
Last June I took my SV on a tour of France and Spain for 5 weeks. I sailed from Rosslare to Roscoff. As it was my first time on the boat with a bike I asked the guys on the boat to tie down the bike. I simply used my gloves as padding for where the straps would touch my bike, and the guy who did it was a true gent. The moral of this story is............ask politely, these guys don't mind helping.

Chris

"If it's broke, fix it. If it isn't broke fix it until it is!"