PDA

View Full Version : Ohlins shock off ebay

sexysi
04-05-04, 09:40 AM
Just got hold of another Ohlins Rear shock off ebay for my Sk1, as I sold the last one. Question for you techeeeessss.
I have had Ohlins front springs on before with pre load adjusters.
What is best
The straight Ohlins springs or a set of progressives. Don't mind which as they will cost me the same, Just wondered which are better, feel better etc etc. I have strong wrists, so don't care about bangs on the wrists from hard springs.
sexysi

DeeJay
04-05-04, 07:28 PM
I have strong wrists

See what happens when you get married boys 'n' girls.... and who says self fun has no benifits..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink: :wink:

Cloggsy
04-05-04, 07:34 PM
... self fun has no benifits..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink: :wink:

That depends, unless you do as she says then 'self fun' might be all you have to look forward too :wink:

DeeJay
04-05-04, 07:41 PM
I am getting married in 3 months.... hopefully i will get strong wrists then too!!!!! :lol: :lol: :wink: :lol: :lol:

ophic
04-05-04, 08:09 PM
I am getting married in 3 months.... hopefully i will get strong wrists then too!!!!! :lol: :lol: :wink: :lol: :lol:
believe me you will have absolutely no choice in the matter :lol:

DeeJay
04-05-04, 08:40 PM
:lol:

Barty_b0y
04-05-04, 09:11 PM
i think as a guide si not being really a bike mechanic but would like to think i can reason most things out that are mechanical

my advice would be the progressives the reason for this lets say that you have 50 mm of travel a progressive spring will increase its resistance to compression as it says progressively

upon a set length were as a normal one will do the same albeit in a totally different manner with the rebound being slightly different also

really thinking about it i cant really find the words to explain to well any defence for or against both all i can see is a picture in my head of the
"physics of the things "

best thing i can think of is the compression and rebound on a set of progressives will be less on a similar weighted set of standards

as every mm of movement any spring will offer a resultant harder compression force to make it close any further but with a progressive as the weight varys on each spring coil in effect its >>>resulting dive in theory should be less

as well as this on rebound its force as the spring increases in length the weight in the compressed spring is lessening all the time so the rebound should not be quite so abrupt resulting in a thoeretically smoother ride

and as we all know smoother ride = bike is happy = more right wrist action

:-k :-k thats my veiws on it and how i see it it may seem hard to follow but then my brain does work in a wierd way at times :D

Mike1234
04-05-04, 09:28 PM
All rather depends on the type of riding you plan on doing.

If you do lots of commuting through town then you might prefer the progressive springs to absorb some of the harshness. If you plan on doing track days and fast road riding then the Ohlins version would be better.

The non progressive variety will be more predictable but don't forget that they all come in different weights so the ultimate answer requires greater consideration, including oil weight, air gap, etc.

rictus01
04-05-04, 09:57 PM
All rather depends on the type of riding you plan on doing.

If you do lots of commuting through town then you might prefer the progressive springs to absorb some of the harshness. If you plan on doing track days and fast road riding then the Ohlins version would be better.

The non progressive variety will be more predictable but don't forget that they all come in different weights so the ultimate answer requires greater consideration, including oil weight, air gap, etc.

I'd have to go a long with Mike on this, having tried both.

Just one point, their is a Progressive make, not just discription.

Most come as two distinct spring weights(within the same spring) as opposed to truley progressively wound springs.

Cheers Mark.

carelesschucca
04-05-04, 10:49 PM
has anyone out there tried WP fork internals, I'm looking at doing the biz to the front end of my bike as I think the dive on the forks is shocking, even with light braking my Forks have almost used up their travel, and I bottomed out at my last track day, It got expensive as i ended up on my **** (I'm a a*se)...

Or do I just go the whole hog and send the forks away to K-Tech and get them to do it for me!!!

sexysi
04-05-04, 10:52 PM
cheers guys, as I don't commute, and will be limiting my riding to rideouts, weekend riding and maybe the odd track day, i will go for the Ohlins again Thanks
sexysi