PDA

View Full Version : FT gloves

fraser01
16-05-04, 04:38 PM
I have a pair of Frank Thomas summer gloves, i have worn them...20 maybe 30 times...and today i realised that the rubber bellows on the thumb of my left glove has come away from the material leaving a nice hole at the seam. The gloves still look new.

I am not sure if this sums up FT or if it happens to most gloves but i doubt i will buy another pair. :(

What do you reckon?????

Also i thought i would contact FT and complain...can i find any address/email address for them...nope. I would take them back to the shop where i bought them but i bought them in Ipswich and i now live in south Hampshire.

anyone know of an address?

Regards :D

Fraser

Akula
16-05-04, 05:53 PM
Sorry F but i dont have an address, but i had a pair of FT winter gloves the Alutherm jobbys, fell to bits within 3 days of opening the packet (exchanged them), FT leather trousers, the velcro strap on the waist had started to peel off 3 weeks after buying them (GW's will send them off to repair them but will not refund or exchange, despite them being my only trousers to wear). and the FT Aquaguard Advance Jacket is very warm very comfy, BUT the rubber FT label on the arm is starting to peel off...

All in all im not impressed with FT at all, hence i will be buying no more of their ****E stock ... These comments are my own, and do not reflect the opinion of anybody else on this board (unless stated) or of the MOD, MDP.

Regards

Martin

Iansv
17-05-04, 09:29 AM
Personally I can't fault FT gloves, I've got some SEG134 Model ones, Dunno what name they have, Had them a couple of months now and best gloves i've ever worn for comfort and feel

fraser01
18-05-04, 08:41 AM
well just to update you, i emailed the shop where i got the gloves from in Ipswich and today i got an email back saying that if i send them back to the shop they will send them to FT for either repair or replacement.

I am happy with this, so i will put them in the post tomorrow.

Not bad considering the gloves are over 12 months old (all be it hardly worn)

firestarter
18-05-04, 09:20 AM
When I came off on Sunday, my only real injury was taking the top half off my thumb nail.

( Piccie here for gore merchants (http://www.albooth.demon.co.uk/sv650/thumb.jpg) )

My FT gloves bust open at the seam at the end of my thumb. Not sure how long the seam lasted (I think they protected the rest of my hands a bit 'cos the knuckle guard is scuffed). I'm not 100% impressed though - I think the gloves (can't remember what type) are made of too many small bits of leather - there's far too much stiching which is a weak point.

I also have some A* goretex gloves that I've been wearing over the winter - and I have much more confidence in these. Although they're more expensive, I'll be replacing my FT summer gloves with A*.

coombest
22-05-04, 09:37 PM
Frankly, I am VERY unimpressed with Frank Thomas gear!
I have a gore tex type armoured waterproof jacket which I paid £120 for at the NEC show - rrp was aparrently £160. After about a week the sleeve/cuff on the right arm had started to fray and come unstitched, where due to poor design, the velcro down the front of the jacket isn't covered over so the arm rubs on it as you move if you don't do it up from top to bottom! The removeable lining also started to come away from the seam and start to lose the filling material after even less use.
The jacket hasn't let me down on the warmth or waterproof stakes, though and I have now taken out the body armour and lining and wear it over my leathers when it's wet.

I also bought a pair of their winter/all weather foil-lined gloves a few months ago (sucker for punishment, eh!) and noticed that after about 1200 miles the black coating on the leather of the left hand palm had started to come off. Now after about 3000 miles (all weather) the left hand has no black on the entire palm and also has an abrasion wear mark appearing. Something I wouldn't really have expected on the left hand - the right maybe after some more miles :evil: - not good for a £90 pair of gloves.
I can't fault them on their comfort or their warmth although they did seem to let a tiny amount of moisture in. They are also nice & thin - almost like summer gloves so you don't have to sacrifice feel for warmth.
I also noticed that they have started to absolutely stink - a side-effect of the foil lining combined with hot, cold & damp weather, I suppose!?
Now after sliding down the tarmac at Llandow whilst wearing these, I have decided I just might not buy another pair!
They protected my hands fine but they are a write-off! (it was a slow speed get-off, I can assure you) They are badly scuffed (well one is) and one of the fastenings has almost completely worn through. The lining/stuffing also managed to come into contact with tarmac (which I found a little worrying!) so is now popping out!

I suppose they stopped me wearing away the flesh on my hands but I don't have any confidence in the gloves whereas I now have more confidence in the rest of my kit! The leather seems a little too soft and poorly put together after limited use and I am now unsure how well they would protect my hands in a bigger impact!

My new gloves will probably be Swift to match my leathers!

Cloggsy
23-05-04, 07:33 AM
Ouch... Poor thumb :roll:

Anonymous
23-05-04, 06:52 PM
why did I look ](*,) :-&

firestarter
23-05-04, 07:08 PM
:lol:

It looks worse than it is.... It doesn't hurt, and it's healing nicely!!

I was a bit suprised to be honest. When I looked at my hand I thought 'that's gonna hurt!' but it didn't.

northwind
01-06-04, 12:06 AM
My winter FT gloves are pretty warm, not exactly toasty but good for 10 minutes at 70 without liners... They seem tough too, and have an excellent cuff. Unfortunately, the lining's fallen apart just like everyone else's, and has a habit of pulling out when I remove the gloves- and being a complete pain to get back in. The cuff is starting to come to bits as well- the velcro sticks to the glove material and rips it up.

Also, in anything other than a freezing scottish winter day, they sweat up like you wouldn't believe, totally non-breathable.

I wouldn't buy another pair, but they've not been disasterous, they have bene through all sorts of horrible weather for a few months of daily use. I'll pick up a pair of HG ninja turtle gloves for next year :)

adman
01-06-04, 10:23 PM
ive got loads of FT stuff its not too bad for what ive paid for it, although both my waterproof jackets arent waterproff any more and the summer gloves seams dig into the end of my middle finger

wsmud
30-07-04, 02:09 PM
Just seen all of the comments on FT stuff. For some reason I have ended up head to foot in FT (probably as cheaper than most)

ladies leather trousers -very good,

jacket with removable lining very good (synthetic) only problem is that although very thin without lining it has no mesh liner so you sweat like a pig - I have to wear a long sleeved top inside so skin doesnt contact with synthetic material. :)

Winter gloves very good :D - Boots very good :D

Summer gloves - pile of absolute rubbish :x !!!!!! have only used half a dozen times and will probably bin them, they were in the sale but thats not the point. they make my hands sweat, they smell and the inner lining comes out every time I pull my hand out - takes about 5 mins each time to get back in - great when stopping for fuel.

ohh well 4 out of 5 aint bad - any recommendations for good ladies summer gloves ? :idea: