PDA

View Full Version : Blue Flame Evo 3 legal twin port Report

amarko5
09-06-04, 10:33 PM
Ok I have been running with this exhaust for some time now.

Noise is fantastic and you can have as much or as little as you want, the exhaust has 2 ports. the top port is larger and contains a complete baffle the bottom port just contains a plug.

Above is the legal Setup and still sounds streets better than the origional.

you can remove both, only top, only bottom, or both in = 4 different levels of sound. (i Run with both out until i know there is a roadside checkpoint then i put them in) 2 circlips is all that holds them in place, all you need is a small pair of circlip pliers (got mine from halfords).

Now as to performance gains :!: It definately feels like it pulls stronger between 3000 to 7000 revs (but i have no proof of this just feels it) Blue Flame quote a power output gain with the pipe but i can't see the dyno chart on their website.

I have heard complaints about discolouration by someone (can't remeber who.

Having been a welder in my early years YOU will get discolouration when welding Stainless (yes the end caps and ports are stainless) this appears brown like rust but is purely oxidisation from welding / heat.

Just look at your downpipe :shock: same thing.

being titanium it is very thin walled and thus can wobble about as it does not have the rigidity of a thick walled stainless exhaust (but is at least 1/3 the weight of the origional, and is rubber mounted.

some 1500 miles since fitting and i see no problems so far, believe me I have covered some extreemly bumpy B roads during those miles.

As to customer service I have no experience of this but one guy says they were good even to the point of offering full refunds and suzie650 has had a recent good dealing with them.

All in all I really am Glad I chose the way i did (having compared the sound to many others) Mine of course is the best :P :P :lol: :lol:
http://www.mark.davidson.dsl.pipex.com/pics/evo-1.jpg
http://www.mark.davidson.dsl.pipex.com/pics/evo-2.jpg
http://www.mark.davidson.dsl.pipex.com/pics/evo-3.jpg

Anonymous
10-06-04, 07:37 AM
Very nice, but I would say that! One ocmment is that the vibration and crap design of the trioval hanger has rubbed the colour off on my can. Thats possibly in part due to how much the walls vibrate and grit and **** getting beneath the hanger rubber. Check its good and tight.

Flamin_Squirrel
10-06-04, 08:33 AM
I get my Evo3 next week, so Ill give my 2p worth then too 8)

wyrdness
10-06-04, 10:28 AM
Thanks for the review. I'm interested in one of these cans, but have heard quite a few negative comments about Blue Flame. In contrast, every Quill or CCC customer seems 100% satisfied, so it's good to hear that there are happy Blue Flame customers too.

Does this pipe need to be repacked regularly like race cans do?

Cheers

Ian
---

amarko5
10-06-04, 11:45 AM
Thanks for the review. I'm interested in one of these cans, but have heard quite a few negative comments about Blue Flame. In contrast, every Quill or CCC customer seems 100% satisfied, so it's good to hear that there are happy Blue Flame customers too.

Does this pipe need to be repacked regularly like race cans do?

Cheers

Ian
---

don't know about the repacking but 110% satisfied with it and the sound is really awesome.

I would say the possibility of repacking will come into it at somestage, wether i will have the bike long enough to need to is another matter.

the 1000sv looks a tempting prospect in a couple of years :lol: :lol: :lol:

amarko5
10-06-04, 11:47 AM
Very nice, but I would say that! One ocmment is that the vibration and crap design of the trioval hanger has rubbed the colour off on my can. Thats possibly in part due to how much the walls vibrate and grit and **** getting beneath the hanger rubber. Check its good and tight.

sorry to hear you are having trouble with your tri oval hanger mate :(

but i can confirm the oval one is as tight as a tight thing :lol: always gonna be awkward from an engineering point of view to get a tri oval hanger to fit tightly :? unless one was to make it out of sterner stuff then it might deform the can :o

Cloggsy
10-06-04, 04:17 PM
don't know about the repacking but 110% satisfied with it and the sound is really awesome.

I can concur... Had a good listen to it at our Devils Bridge meet (bafles in & out) :twisted:

But (IMHO) my Remus sounds equally as nice 8) :twisted: (See 'Goodies' page on the main site for my can sounds (both baffle in & out)) :wink:

Muttley
10-06-04, 08:32 PM
I ordered a full system about a month ago from BF, I like the coloured tri oval look and wanted a hi level can, so it seemed the right choice. I wanted a full system as I didn't want to cut the OE pipe.

When I ordered I was told "It'll be with you in 5 days". I let a week or so go by, nothing turned up so I phoned them, they couldn't find any sign of my order, I was told that they would have a look around and phone me back.

Well no phone call was received, but they definitely found my order as the money left my account the following day.

That was two weeks ago and still no can or headers.

I'll be cancelling my order tomorrow morning. I don't expect to be kept waiting a month for something that I have paid £600+ for, especially when I have been told twice that I will recieve the system within 5 days. :(

amarko5
11-06-04, 12:39 AM
I ordered a full system about a month ago from BF, I like the coloured tri oval look and wanted a hi level can, so it seemed the right choice. I wanted a full system as I didn't want to cut the OE pipe.

When I ordered I was told "It'll be with you in 5 days". I let a week or so go by, nothing turned up so I phoned them, they couldn't find any sign of my order, I was told that they would have a look around and phone me back.

Well no phone call was received, but they definitely found my order as the money left my account the following day.

That was two weeks ago and still no can or headers.

I'll be cancelling my order tomorrow morning. I don't expect to be kept waiting a month for something that I have paid £600+ for, especially when I have been told twice that I will recieve the system within 5 days. :(

Ouch wel my friend you have a genuine grievance there :(

as i said no dealings with customer care side of things but pleased with the product maybe you should point them in the direction of this site and tell them to search on blue flame or evo.

might teach them that good sales and after sales service is required nowadays.

Muttley
11-06-04, 05:14 AM
From what I have read, (on this site and other MC sites), BF seem fine when you order just the end can, its when you order the headers aswell that things go pear shaped.

oh well.

Anonymous
15-06-04, 09:54 AM
Mine has now done about 2.5k miles and so far (as well as my annoyance with the hanger I posted about before):

1. The stickers have disintegrated
2. A rivet has fallen out

Trivial, but annoying. Or was it sabotage.....

amarko5
15-06-04, 02:17 PM
Mine has now done about 2.5k miles and so far (as well as my annoyance with the hanger I posted about before):

1. The stickers have disintegrated
2. A rivet has fallen out

Trivial, but annoying. Or was it sabotage.....

Sabotage mate :!: all them K1 / K2 owners you were camping with :P :wink: :wink:

ps i have another 900 miles from my last post and she is still fine and dandy no issues (well except i eventually put exhaust sealing paste around the link pipe joints)

Anonymous
15-06-04, 08:31 PM
Afraid not mate. Drilled out rivet, put new one in (nicely scratching can in process) went out for couple\ of hours, got home head of rivet gone again :shock:

I basically think the sidewall vibrates too much. My suspicions are aroused a bit as when the can came I had some issues and spoke to the guy and said why doesnt mine have the blueflame badge riveted on. He said they had had a few problems with that on the tri-oval.

Well it looks like they bloody well do have rivet problems, doesnt it!!! Ill bang another one in tonight and see what happens. Watch this space.....and where can I get a Yoshi? :lol:

Flamin_Squirrel
15-06-04, 08:53 PM
From a small green dinosaur?

*appologises*

Skiddy
16-06-04, 08:40 AM
I'm really tempted with one of these myself, although I'm thinking of going for the oval twin exit carbon one; should go well with the yellow and black bike :)

The tri-oval does sound a pain in the **** :( I'd guess the difficulty of getting the hanger to fit properly on that shape wouldn't help the vibration problem either?

Anonymous
17-06-04, 01:55 PM
Ive hijacked Amarkos report a bit, havent I...never mind, eh :lol:

Well......a big thumbs up to Blueflame for sending me a new can hanger and a sheet of stickers by return of post.

Unfortunately since then the rivet thing (head sheared off first one, and another 3 I put in same place myself...I now have a rivet gun in my toolkit :lol:) has materialised...I'll keep you posted :wink: :D

L-Dee
18-06-04, 09:56 PM
Well ive just ordered the Duel port ti version, hope it sounds as good as i think its going to.

wigan650s
18-06-04, 10:24 PM
Well ive just ordered the Duel port ti version, hope it sounds as good as i think its going to.

it does and it will :twisted:

ARAF
22-06-04, 01:03 PM
Unfortunately since then the rivet thing (head sheared off first one, and another 3 I put in same place myself...I now have a rivet gun in my toolkit :lol:) has materialised...I'll keep you posted :wink: :D

I hope you are using stainless steel rivets, as aluminium ones will keep shearing their heads off.

Araf

Anonymous
22-06-04, 01:37 PM

I hope you are using stainless steel rivets, as aluminium ones will keep shearing their heads off.

Araf

Thats maybe why the ones Ive put in are shearing, so thanks for the tip. But why did the original one do it?

ARAF
22-06-04, 01:53 PM
Hang on, I'll look into my crystal ball..... :)

Seriously, these is always vibration within an exhaust, as it is solidly mounted to the engine. The original rivet may not have been put in correctly, or may have split inside the exhaust, which you cannot see.

A stainless rivet should solve your problem though. Make sure you get the correct size (diameter). Probably 4 or 5 mm rather than the 3.3mm which is the most common size that you buy. You should look for one which is at least 8-10 mm long to ensure that you are pulling the two metal surfaces together as well.

Araf

Anonymous
22-06-04, 03:41 PM
Hang on, I'll look into my crystal ball..... :)

Seriously, these is always vibration within an exhaust, as it is solidly mounted to the engine. The original rivet may not have been put in correctly, or may have split inside the exhaust, which you cannot see.

A stainless rivet should solve your problem though. Make sure you get the correct size (diameter). Probably 4 or 5 mm rather than the 3.3mm which is the most common size that you buy. You should look for one which is at least 8-10 mm long to ensure that you are pulling the two metal surfaces together as well.

Araf

Thanks,
Rich