PDA

View Full Version : Continental Tyres *Updated*

Pages : [1] 2

Sid Squid
21-06-04, 10:18 AM
Just got some new Continentals which are rather amusingly called "Road Attack", if you should forget what they are titled, a brief glance will soon remind you as it's actually written in the tread pattern, (don't try this when moving, dummy).
Only done about 1000 miles on them so far but have been impressed by precise steering and good grip, I've only used them once in the rain, yesterday, they are confidence inspiring and grip well.
Best bit about them is that they are cheap, and depending on life, about which I will report on later, could be a useful alternative choice for the fiscally sensitive.

Example prices - taken from TyresalesUK.co.uk (https://vault1.secured-url.com/modular-online/motorcycle/index.asp)
SV1000: Front (120/70-17): £64.21, Rear (180/55-17): £78.50
SV650: Front (120/60-17): £61.36, Rear (160/60-17): £71.36

rukus
28-07-04, 03:58 PM
Just done a deal with Oxford motorcycles for a pair of Continental Road attack tyres for £160 quid for the pair fitted and balanced including VAT!!!!

just hope they're good! I'll post a review up here as soon as I've had some decent riding out of them.

CHeers

rukus
02-08-04, 11:02 AM
ooooooh... new rubber. Had a full set of conti road attack fitted this morning.
I've only done 10 miles, but first impressions are....

they are more rounded than the stock dunny's so the bike feels like it's tipping into corners easier, which is quite offputting, but I'm sure I'll get used to it.
The tread is DEEP!! Whether this will lead to longevity or whether it's a compromise to allow stickier compound, I don't know, but hopefully they'll have a decent lifespan.

I know they need scrubbing in so am being ultra cautious, but the prospects are good so far, no misaventures, but then so decent speed either!!
I will report more later.

wheelnut
02-08-04, 03:12 PM
the deep tread pattern put me off these tyres last year, but they seem to be ok. I have seen many bikes fitted with them, and retrofitted too.

I will stick with Metzelers RoadTech for another 3000 miles. nicely scrubbed in and rounded off :P

rukus
07-08-04, 01:44 PM
ok, done a couple of hundred miles on these tyres and they are........

FANTASTIC!

took a while to get used to due to the different profile to the stock D220's but they grip like glue. I've already had more lean and carried better speed through corners than I did on the Dunny's. And the chicken strips are still at 1-2 cm on the rear. Still not got those pegs down but I think that's me running out of balls rather than the tyres struggling.

I can't speak about longevity yet (obviously), but if anyone wants a cheap alt. to Bridgestones or others then these are the business.

Enjoy... I am!!!

GDBD59
23-08-04, 11:46 PM
I've got the attacks' too. (on 650S)
Done about 500 miles. I like 'em. They felt good form the outset, feel ok from cold & I like the 'cut slick' look they have. The profile should give long life as long as they don't square badly 'cos the TWI is off-centre.
They've felt ok on damp roads. I avoid rain if possible.

Word of warning. They are not a tyre for the diy fitter. The guy who did mine races bikes & uses both levers & machine. He says the sidewall on these is VERY stiff........no way they could be done by hand.

jonboy
24-08-04, 08:46 AM
Keep these reports coming, I might just be persuaded.

wyrdness
24-08-04, 09:24 AM
I'd be tempted to try some. I read a tyre review in MCN a couple of years ago that rated Conti's highly.

Here's the Road Attack page with pix and reviews:

http://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/contibike/tyreinfo/tyredata_motorcyle/attack.htm

weegaz22
24-08-04, 05:31 PM
I've got the attacks' too. (on 650S)
Done about 500 miles. I like 'em. They felt good form the outset, feel ok from cold & I like the 'cut slick' look they have. The profile should give long life as long as they don't square badly 'cos the TWI is off-centre.
They've felt ok on damp roads. I avoid rain if possible.

Word of warning. They are not a tyre for the diy fitter. The guy who did mine races bikes & uses both levers & machine. He says the sidewall on these is VERY stiff........no way they could be done by hand.

i seen these tyres on your bike at the rideout, thing i was wondering was how hot do they get? as im sure i seen they were rated to over 170mph, and was just thinking whether the sv was gonna be able to keep these tyres warm, bikes that will do 170 will have a lot more power to heat the tyres up and keep them warm

rukus
24-08-04, 06:12 PM
no problems on the heating front our WeeGaz!!!

they have max speed 174 mph stamped on them, which I believe is Z rating. Isn't this the same as the stock tyres and the 020 /010 's???

weegaz22
24-08-04, 08:01 PM
no problems on the heating front our WeeGaz!!!

they have max speed 174 mph stamped on them, which I believe is Z rating. Isn't this the same as the stock tyres and the 020 /010 's???

your maybe right with regards to the rating as i cant remember what the mez4 was, only reason i was asking is that quite a few people have had problems with rubber that was rated quite high as they couldnt keep it warm on the road with the sv (think it was mich pilots if i remeber correctly)

GDBD59
24-08-04, 09:30 PM
They're only the 2nd pair of tyres I've had on the bike, & I don't remember feeling the previous 010's so can't compare........but the Attack's get hot.....hotter than I expected anyway.
I won't know what they're like in winter 'cos the bike won't be used, but so far there are no warming-up issues.
They're ZR rated which the SV requires, I believe.

CC
27-08-04, 10:42 PM
There is some interesting reading at the www.sport-touring.net forum (http://www.sport-touring.net/cgi-bin/msgboard/ikonboard.cgi?s=b0a24033076f3c24e59eda781e3f0dfb;a ct=ST;f=4;t=16771;�top)

Here is a post (I cut it out), that is a respond to some negative comments about the RoadAttack:

www.sport-touring.net][/url]
Continental N.A. Replies

Taken from fjrowners.com:

Posted on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 10:09 pm:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Johnxman - I know, it's too early to get back into this, but there are a few comments I would like to make. I will do my best not to offend anyone, but if I do, Oh well - the facts are the facts.

I spent almost an hour with Continental on the phone yesterday. Thier customer service is unbelievably good. This was in response to an email I sent through thier website. I took two pages of notes. I will publish them later, but just a couple things to highlight. Continental NEVER said the Road Attacks were not recommended for the FJR. From all the people up there, what was said was something like - For your weight, plus a passenger, your given situation, perhaps they are not the right choice for you. This is a far cry from not recommended for the FJR.

Continental was able to intelligently discuss and dismiss any myths about the Road Attacks. These are indeed awesome tires, designed with the latest technology.

Oh, and per the professionals, if a tire ever does slip on the rim, the result is severe tire deflation, usually ending up in a catestrophic loss. So routine slippage is very doubtfull.

Now, my only negative observation about the slight shimmy around 40 - 55 mph (depending on the situation). These tires are indeed designed for Sport-Touring machines. The FJR is unique in this category (yes, we owners knew this). All other sport touring bikes balance the weight more evenly between front tire and back tire. And is what the front tire was designed for. Thus, the front Road Attack has a "Flatter" surface with more contact patch going straight. However, the FJR is more "sport oriented" and has much more weight on the front tire - like a sport bike. So the FJR will handle much better if we use the Conti Force Max because of the profile of the tire alone. That is why Yamaha approved the Conti Force Max. It has a "Sharper" profile and will handle even better. However, the Road Attack is still an excellent choice for the rear. Awesome grip to mileage ratio. Matter of fact, we will probably wear out the rear Road Attack at the same time as the front Force Max and be stuck like glue the entire time.

Continental was nice enough to answer all of my questions in a professional, knowledgable manor and are sending me a new Conti Force Max front tire as we speak. I will mount it when I recieve it, do a full on test and see if the 40 - 55 mph shimmy is gone.

Oh, and about that article that said new bikes like the GSXR1000 on a race track could over-run the Road Attacks? (My two cents worth, I didn't ask Conti about this) We all should remember - the Road Attacks were designed as a "Sport-Touring" tire, not Sport or Race. I think a good rider on a new hyper-bike can over-run ANY Sport Touring tire.

When I say the following, it comes from my experience and others in the area who are also running Road Attacks and have years of motorcycle experience. The new Continental rubber is an awesome choice. If you don't at least try the Force Max front and Road Attack rear, you are missing out on some of the best tires going - if not the best!!!

Again, I will post more technical details from Conti and direct experience with the Force Max front once I have logged several hard miles.
liquidsilver
FJR Top Gun
Username: liquidsilver

Post Number: 1380
Posted on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 10:58 pm:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
Oh, and per the professionals, if a tire ever does slip on the rim, the result is severe tire deflation, usually ending up in a catestrophic loss.

No argument intended, but just for general information, I've spun tube tires... and tubeless tires on rims without losing pressure.

Also, a high school buddy with a gorgeous '75 383 c.i. Challenger had spun the rims in the tires so badly at the dragstrip, you could watch him smoke between the wheel and the tire... they never lost pressure. (and I don't recall seeing balls in the tires either, but steel cords showing at the bead... they'd been spinning a lot)

FWIW.

david1300
Username: david1300

Post Number: 996
Posted on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 12:34 am:

fjroamer
Farkle Trainee
Username: fjroamer

Post Number: 78
Posted on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 01:30 am:

How interesting N.M.

I was gonna lay low on this but since you already "broke the ice", I also talked to Greg yesterday concerning the Conti Quandry. Following is todays follow up e.mail:

---------------------------------------------------------

Hi Robert!
It was a pleasure talking to you yesterday. I spoke to Seattle Cycle Center and I sent a 120/70-17 Conti Force MAX to his attention to replace the 120/70-17 Road Attack that's currently on your FJR.

... there is nothing wrong with the Road Attack tire. ... .., the Road Attack (is) not a good match for (some) FJR's based on (their) own individual criteria,heavy load and riding style, (but this is) not a blanket statement for all FJR riders. In addition, it's not correct that the "Road Attack is no good for heavy, powerful bikes ridden to their performance envelope" The fact of the matter is that in Germany ,where due to higher speeds allowed on the autobahn and inclement weather, tires must be tested by the bike manufacturers and approved for use on each individual bike. Both Suzuki & Yamaha approved the Road Attack for use on the GSX-R1000 & YZF R1 which are the premiere "high power" sport bikes on the world market.

I've spoken to a lot of FJR riders who have ridden the Road Attack on their bikes who have not experienced any negative handling. It all depends on each individual rider and their bike set up. In Germany where approvals are required (as mentioned above) Yamaha approved our Conti Force MAX high-performance sport radial for the FJR1300. In fact, the European press also tested the Force MAX on the FJR and recommends it as a best choice for this machine.

The "mushy/moving around" that you are feeling when riding your FJR in "all out efforts" is coming from your front end. For your individual needs we recommend changing your front tire to our 120/70-17 Force MAX and keeping the 180/55-17 Road Attack on the rear. The main difference between the front Force MAX and the Road Attack is the contour and there is no problem to run a front Force MAX with a rear Road Attack. The Force MAX is a high performance sport tire which has a more "peaked" contour when compared the Road Attack which has a "flatter" contour. Due to the unique nature of the FJR it responds better to the "peaked" contour of our Force MAX and thus for your needs is a better match. Note from our technicians, they recommend running 42 cold psi in both the front and rear for the FJR.

Feel free to contact me with any other questions, and let me know how the Force MAX does for you once you get a few miles on them.
Safe Riding & Best Regards,
Greg Reich
Continental Tire North America, Inc.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

some editing (parenthetical) done

Well..., draw your own conclusions folks

sbrazier75
17-09-04, 02:34 PM
great tyres,

warm up fast,

grip sooo well compared to stock D220's,

roll in fast so makes the bike nice flickable, and has a grin factor all of there own.

no issues in the wet, and they've seen more rain than dry recently,
(commute 50miles a day on them)

give lots of confidence, managed to scuff the right hand side within mm's
of the edge on the roundabouts, (i was about 15mm from the edge on the D220's)

and at £165 fitted and balanced were cheaper than the usual suspects by about £50 fitted.

and they look like no other.

great tyres.

jonboy
17-09-04, 03:44 PM
Had a new rear 020 fitted today for £115 at Bedford tyres and although they don't keep the Road Attack as standard they quoted me £140 fitted, which er makes it somewhat attractive and will almost definitely be the next set I put on which should be around the end of Feb.

wigan650s
17-09-04, 04:02 PM
my first choice for replacements was to be the conti's however all the tyre places i spoke to warned me off them,wether this was because none kept them in stock or not is open to interpretation though

pookie
17-09-04, 09:24 PM
Finally worn thru the MEZ4s and replaced them with a lovely pair of Road Attacks. I totally agree with some of the write ups about the profiles being rounded. Have done 50miles on them so far and slowly getting used to the grip. I got a pair fitted for £165 at motorcycletyresuk.co.uk.
I too was warned off them by a few dealers..I'm a commuter and weekend rider so longevity is important.

Wiltshire7
07-11-04, 06:19 PM
What reasons did the dealers give for not recomending them?

i wonder if they just make less money selling them.

Stef
24-11-04, 03:31 PM
My dealer also warned my about them. He said he even had a customer who came back a week after having them fitted to get them replaced by Bridgestones. Since i was interested in them as my next fit, i asked around and indeed there are real issues with the roadAttack, but most come from high powered bikes like a TL1000, VFR or Gixxers. It seems that as long as you use them on "low" powered bikes like the SV650 and don't do trackdays, you will be fine.

Since i don't want to take any chances on tyres, i going to fit a pair of Metzeler Z6 RoadTecs just be be safe. :lol:

Sid Squid
24-11-04, 04:34 PM
I can only laugh wholeheartedly at that.

rukus
24-11-04, 06:16 PM
Me too, in my bout of insomnia the other night I had them to within about 5mm of the edge on the back and could have had it over further,

'Don't believe the hype'

Wiltshire7
26-11-04, 06:15 PM
ffs, who to believe? everyone cant be right! cant they?

jonboy
26-11-04, 07:03 PM
If Sid Squid says they're alright on his SV thou, then I for one would give that a fair amount of credence. Dealers tend to tell you about what they want to sell you.

Carsick
26-11-04, 09:08 PM
Also recommended to me by a guy who has them on his Fazer 1000.

I think they're great on my 650.

kebabman
07-12-04, 07:34 PM
Just had a set of these fitted to replace the factory D220's, very good tyres IMO, dealer actually recommended them where I was :?

Anyway, bike feels much more secure especially in the wet.....although my old rear was very square. Most importantly, they're cheap :lol:

Sid Squid
07-12-04, 08:52 PM
Most importantly, they're cheap :lol:

Yeah, I like that too. :lol:

gixxilla
12-12-04, 08:21 AM
Anyone know what kind of mileage these tyres are getting?

rukus
12-12-04, 02:38 PM
sorry, I'm on my second rear cos of a darn nail so not sure as yet... was on 2000 with pleeeeeenty left when I had to get a new one though

Sid Squid
12-12-04, 05:46 PM

The rear Conti on my SV1000 has ~6500/7000 miles on it, gone a bit square now - but that's down to the use it's had of course, loads of town commuting - but I'm very pleased with how long it's lasted, I guesstimate another 1500-2000 left in it. Front is barely marked.

I'd be interested to see how long they would last on an SV 'Lite' :D , less weight and torque could possibly even make these 10,000 mile tyres.

Initial inpressions of grip and handling have been reinforced in the time I've had them, and they are particularly good in the wet.

I cannot possibly understand what 'issues' have been raised over these tyres, they are excellent all rounders, particularly so in the wet, sensibly priced and definately long lasting, these are very clearly tyres intended for road use, and their function is obviously biased toward that, if that's what you need, buy some, I heartily recommend them for that.

If you want tyres that are shagged in 1500 miles, so that everyone can see what a 'geezer' you are, spend your money elsewhere.

cb9002
25-03-05, 10:25 AM
Road Attacks are great! Done 500 miles on them now, and I've been leaning more and taking corners quicker since I rode out of the shop (previously D207s).

At 160 quid for the pair, can't beat them, at least for my use - commuting and IAM at the weekends.

Carsick
25-03-05, 10:59 AM
I'd be interested to see how long they would last on an SV 'Lite' :D , less weight and torque could possibly even make these 10,000 mile tyres.
I only got 3k out of the rear because a nail ruined it, could only get an 020 to replace it. The front now has 6.5k on it and is a bit squared off; they follow ridges quite majorly now. I think it'll certainly last the next 2-3k that the 020 has on it, though.

Sid Squid
10-04-05, 09:47 PM
The rear's dead, killed by a screw this afternoon, not worth a repair as it's nearly on the markers.

The edges are well razzed though, nicely rolled up and frazzled :twisted: , prior to the flat, this afternoon they were most enjoyable.

The final result: 8150 miles.

Little bargain.

Probably going to try the Z6s next, I hope they're as good, for the money the Conti's will be a hard act to follow.

Stig
11-04-05, 11:51 AM
On the recommendations on here the next set of tyres for me WILL be the Road Attacks. I'm perpetually skint so anything that handles well and wears even better is good for me. Especially like the good comments about how they handle in the wet, as I am probably the worlds worst wet weather rider. :roll:

Wiltshire7
11-04-05, 03:57 PM
as I am probably the worlds worst wet weather rider.

clearly u've never been behind me when the road is wet.

sd1cko
12-04-05, 05:23 PM
Done 1700 mile on my attacks and have lost about 1.5mm on the rear, and the print around the centre of the front tyre is still as visible as when new! had them over to about 1cm off the edges and not once had them attempting to slide :) . far better in the wet than my previous azaros. Definately recomend them!!

Rear: (highlighted where u can just make out edge of remaining lettering) Then Front:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v249/sd1cko/attackrear2.bmp
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v249/sd1cko/attackfront2.bmp

Stig
09-05-05, 09:12 PM
I've now done 600 odd miles on the attacks and seriously impressed. The day I went to have them fitted, it was lashing it down. As I was going to get both changed at the same time I was going to cancel and book another day, but decided to be brave and go get them changed anyway. Got them fitted for £165 which was nice, and then left to get back to work in the rain. Well after I went round a couple of roundabouts I realised that the tyres were giving a whole lot more grip than I expected. These tyres were brand new but still gave me grip and feel.

I am a crap wet weather rider but these tyres inspire confidence. I really don't mind pushing it a bit even when its damp, loads of feedback and lets you know nicely when the tyres want to let go.

Also tested them in the dry around the local roads. Love them. I'm down to 10mm or so from the tyre wall and this is without moving my **** off the seat one little bit.

Superb tyres. Only thing left is to see how long they last. I have noticed that the writing on the rear is all but gone after these 600 odd miles. The front though is still legible

sd1cko
09-05-05, 09:21 PM
Im suprised to hear you have noticed tyre wear after such a short distance? having said that my tyres seemed to not wear for ages then suddenly start to disintigrate :cry: !
i have done nearly 4000 miles on them now and i only have about 3mm tread depth left i think! altho i did a stint with my rear tyre at 38psi which didnt help!
I try to keep it at 42psi which seems to handle and wear better :)

anybody found that too little or too much air in the tyre affect there wear rates? and where was your happy medium?

Stig
09-05-05, 09:32 PM
I've messed with the tyre pressures before but found that I prefer the stock 33/36.

SpankyHam
10-05-05, 05:57 PM
NIce!

I get mine fitted tomorrow.

sd1cko
10-05-05, 09:43 PM
Good choice! You wont be dissapointed! :twisted:

jon
10-05-05, 09:46 PM
Call me a tart or whatever but has anyone got any pictures of their SV with the roadattacks fitted?

Maybe i've a supressed rubber fetish but i like my rubber to look the part on the bike and while the road attacks look grand in pictures in the above pictures they look... well rather naff on the bike.

Cloggsy
10-05-05, 09:55 PM
Call me a tart

You tart :!: :roll:

sd1cko
10-05-05, 09:55 PM
ill post a reasonable piccy tomorrow afternoon for ya mate! (ittl be off my 6600 camera phone!) but for a rough idea hears a bandit 1200 http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v249/sd1cko/bandit1200roadattack.bmp

sd1cko
10-05-05, 10:00 PM
Ive had people comment how how good they look an the SV given them being a narrow tyre in comparison to a 180 section, and asked what they were 8)

They look rather good from the rear! Just hope a piccy will show them justice! i finish work at 2.00 tomorrow aft so will get round to posting the piccy for u as soon as poss

jon
10-05-05, 10:03 PM

Look rather good on that bandit / in google... perhaps i'll be swayed yet (or when jonboy shows me his...)

Failing that it's some pilot's as they're the prettiest.

I'll get my coat....

Carsick
11-05-05, 10:30 AM
I've now hit the point of seriously looking to replace my conti front. It's done just only 9k now and is seriously squared off.
It still goes round corners ok, but it just can't handle ripples mid corners.
Had an interesting moment on a fast roundabout last night where the front edged onto a broken top rippled and then juddered wide.
Of course, we can't ignore the fact that it could just be me that can't go round corners.

SpankyHam
11-05-05, 02:45 PM
Just had them firred @ motorcycletyres.co.uk.

Awesome tyres! 30 miles home - chicken strips on the right : 1cm, on the left :cry: 3 or :? :shock: not many left bends....

They told me that another yellow SV was booked in today! I was there until 13:30!

Who is it ?

sd1cko
12-05-05, 08:14 PM
Heres the piccy as promised. Sorry its later than i said. I got roped into helping a friend remove the swingarm from his KTM Supermoto

Not a brill picture and doesnt quite do the tyres justice, but it was taken on a crappy camera phone

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v249/sd1cko/conti.jpg

jon
12-05-05, 09:41 PM
Thanks for the picture, that's really helped. I think it's off to the tyre shop next weekend for some road attacks :)

Iansv
13-05-05, 10:21 AM
Roadattacks fitted yesterday, feel very difference to anything i've had before... Not sure if thats good or bad yet :lol:

jon
13-05-05, 10:26 AM
Roadattacks fitted yesterday, feel very difference to anything i've had before... Not sure if thats good or bad yet :lol:

Do keep us updated once they're scrubbed in :)

Carsick
13-05-05, 10:28 AM
I think I'm gonna have to go for another set at the end of this month.
My current front is only just going to manage the next two trips I'm going on and I can't afford to try anything else.

adam
13-05-05, 06:17 PM
I'm off for an alpine jaunt with my road attacks. I'll post when I get back to let you know how they performed. Should I not post they didn't perform lol

Dan_SV
14-05-05, 12:09 PM
This makes interesting reading.

I have thought of a few questions.

1) What are they like towards the end of their lives? Once they get towards the end of it, do they turn a bit squiffy (technical term). I'm used to Bridgestones which maintain their riding qualities throughout their lives.

2) Anyone done a trackday on them yet? How did they cope?

3) Anyone done many miles on them in the proper depth's of winter? I've had experiences where tyres can have fine grip in warm wet weather, yet be attrocious in cold or cold and damp conditions.

Cheers Dan.

Carsick
16-05-05, 06:35 AM
1) What are they like towards the end of their lives? Once they get towards the end of it, do they turn a bit squiffy (technical term). I'm used to Bridgestones which maintain their riding qualities throughout their lives.
Not bad at all. Obviously after now 10k miles, they're a bit squared off, so tipping into corners can be an interesting experience. The reduced contact patch when they're squared off also isn't pleasant, but it's worse than any other tyre once it's like that.

2) Anyone done a trackday on them yet? How did they cope? Not me.

3) Anyone done many miles on them in the proper depth's of winter? I've had experiences where tyres can have fine grip in warm wet weather, yet be attrocious in cold or cold and damp conditions. I put these tyres on in December or so, so they've spent alot more time in the cold and wet than they have in the dry.
I'd say they perform pretty well. Despite my front conti being worn and the rear 020 being pretty good, the back end was still sliding a long time before the front started.

Obviously these tyres can't really be compared with something properly sticky, and I wouldn't want anybody to get these on the assumption that they were fantastically grippy. For a sports touring tyre they do bloody well and they still last a while.

jon
16-05-05, 07:46 AM
I'm off for an alpine jaunt with my road attacks. I'll post when I get back to let you know how they performed. Should I not post they didn't perform lol

Crap.

Carsick
16-05-05, 07:51 AM

Crap.
?

jon
16-05-05, 07:56 AM
Adam posted that friday with "I'll post when I get back to let you know how they performed. Should I not post they didn't perform lol". It's now monday :)

Carsick
16-05-05, 08:10 AM
Adam posted that friday with "I'll post when I get back to let you know how they performed. Should I not post they didn't perform lol". It's now monday :)
Yeah, but he did say an Alpine jaunt. I could spend weeks doing that.

Sid Squid
16-05-05, 12:11 PM
My feeling on this is that it really depends on how it's been used, something used for a load of town commuting will wear more in the centre than at the edges, thus changing the profile more than something that's used for a greater proportion of twistys, so generally speaking I'd say the Conti held up as well as you could realistically expect, and as well as any other make of my experience.

2) Anyone done a trackday on them yet? How did they cope?
No, but having used a lot of tyres of all sorts and sizes I sincerely doubt that the "average rider", (whoever that is), is going to be concerned about grip.
3) Anyone done many miles on them in the proper depth's of winter? I've had experiences where tyres can have fine grip in warm wet weather, yet be attrocious in cold or cold and damp conditions.
I put them on just before the winter, highly recommended, work well at low temps and are excellent in the wet.

jim@55
23-05-05, 11:26 AM
back to wet weather riding im a born again up in bonnie scotland[lots of rain /cold/twisties]and havent been on a bike for 12 yrs so how do you think i feel about wet weather riding,cant even corner in the dry! :lol: but il have fun trying. get road attacks tomo and they should help 8) 8) 8)

adam
23-05-05, 05:09 PM
Anyway, I got back last night and have done 2561 miles while abroad, about 5000 in total on the tyres. The tyres performed very very well on almost ever surface you can think of! The rear is down to about 4mm now which I think is amazing considering the mileage. The most noticable thing is that after a fair bit of french/belgian autoroute they havent squared at all which I'm very pleased about as I don't need to go and get a new rear on return which I fully expected to do!

The best bit I think was after absolutely gunning it up the mountain towards the col de lombarde gaining about 1600m altitude in 20km of hairpins and sweepers my tyres were HOT to touch, to the point where my hand stuck to the tread on the rear! It hurt! Probably 70-80ºc.

http://www.thebikereview.com/iup/get8.asp?ID=403

So so many of these :twisted:

Carsick
23-05-05, 06:58 PM
That's a real world tyre test 8)
Lee, now do you believe me that they're pretty good? :wink:

will
24-05-05, 12:05 PM
great thread

it's rare to read of such universal praise for a product.

would you put these on in preference to diablo corsas? in need of new tyres, have been quoted 200 fitted for the corsa's.

cheers
will :D

Carsick
24-05-05, 12:37 PM
would you put these on in preference to diablo corsas? in need of new tyres, have been quoted 200 fitted for the corsa's.
The road attacks are very good, but I don't think they're in the same class, grip wise as the corsas.
Of course, I haven't tried the corsas, so I may not be the best person.

Valman
24-05-05, 02:54 PM
great thread

it's rare to read of such universal praise for a product.

cheers
will :D

I don't think you can get Diablo Corsa's for the SV, not unless you've changed the wheels to something different. Only the Diablo and the Diablo Strada are available for the SV, you can get more info here (http://www.pirellidiablo.com).

adam
24-05-05, 03:55 PM
I'll be honest while the conti's may not have the grip of some other tyres I would like to see someone actually ride the bike so hard that you'd need anything more grippy than them for the road!

adam
24-05-05, 04:27 PM
Anyway, that's the conti after about 5500 miles :)

img src='http://www.thebikereview.com/iup/get8.asp?ID=411'>

adam
24-05-05, 04:27 PM
http://www.thebikereview.com/iup/get8.asp?ID=411

adam
28-05-05, 10:47 PM
just noticed my rear tyre says "made in germany" and my front tyre "made in korea". This standard practice? errr..

Spiderman
31-05-05, 06:56 PM
After much deliberating i'm getting a set of these fitted 2moro. Will post anything usefull after that.

jonboy
02-06-05, 09:56 PM
Had my SV fitted with the Conti Road attacks today (Jon Benson faints :lol: ) and have scrubbed them in after doing about 60 miles. After spending an extra 20 mins on the Jonboy Institute's Tyre Evaluation Facility the rear has only 1cm of chicken strip left and the front about 4-5mm. Will vanish them completely when I've got some time next week, but at least I'm sorted for the AR05.

So what are they like? Well obviously I've only just put them on so this is an initial appraisal and I'll add to it in a couple of weeks once I've thoroughly put them through their paces (if anyone's interested).

They're quicker steering than the 020s no doubt about it. Some will like that others won't and I'm in the latter category. Maybe it's because my preload it set too high and the rear shock is quite knackered but the bike just drops into corners once you're past point X which I find unnerving and was hoping this situation which also occured with the 020s would be cured (was going to go for a 120/70 section to see if it helped this but decided against and had the standard 120/60 fitted which at least allows a direct comparision with the previous 020s). Okay maybe I need to be a little more gentle with the counter-steering here and need to understand the tyre's behaviour better. Once I got to grips with this it was interesting as the tyre was shouting "chicken" at me and I'm quite convinced that it would go right down to it's edge on good tarmac and still stick.

The tyre wall seems a lot more flexible than the 020s (which have an exceedingly strong sidewall) and I could feel some feedback which was marred by the badly worn shock (once I change it I'm expecting a far greater level of control).

High speed stability in a straight line wasn't quite as composed as the 020 but banked over at highish speed (again on my test track) it was very confidence inspiring with no hint of drama.

I'm quite sure I'll have a lot of fun with these tyres and think that the SV's severely restricting suspension will be the limiting factor rather than the rubber itself.

And for the record I paid £160 fitted ridein/out from Wheelfit in Cambridge, who were most professional.

jon
03-06-05, 06:43 AM
Well i never, i thought your bike ran on slicks!

Be interesting to see how you find them over the next few days. I ordered some roadattacks 2 weeks ago, and then again a week ago and they're having trouble getting hold of them so i may try and talk them into putting some pilot powers on for a similar price. My current tyres are so square i could use them in a maths exam.

Oh, and your private test track wouldn't be the 507 would it? :)

jonboy
03-06-05, 08:44 AM

It sometimes does, just I get nervous about plod :lol:

I ordered some roadattacks 2 weeks ago, and then again a week ago and they're having trouble getting hold of them so i may try and talk them into putting some pilot powers on for a similar price. My current tyres are so square i could use them in a maths exam.

The Pilot Powers, while being a superbly sticky tyre, will likely do very little mileage. Why not go into Cambridge to Wheelfit and get them done? When I phoned they only had a rear in but got the front delivered the next day, so good and quick service.

http://www.wheel-fit.co.uk

No not this time ;)

Spiderman
03-06-05, 01:23 PM

Be interesting to see how you find them over the next few days. I ordered some roadattacks 2 weeks ago, and then again a week ago and they're having trouble getting hold of them so i may try and talk them into putting some pilot powers on for a similar price. My current tyres are so square i could use them in a maths exam.

Hey Jon,

I just had a set fitted on Wednesday for the same as JB. £160 fitted ride in/out at essential rubber. They have more in stock too and are a nice bunch.
www.essentialrubber.co.uk for their number.
Top tyres so far, i cant belive how much i am leaning the bike over on my normal commute route!!

jonboy
03-06-05, 01:37 PM
i cant belive how much i am leaning the bike over on my normal commute route!!

You up to 15 degrees now then? :lol:

jamieclayton9
04-06-05, 07:09 PM
in response to adam mine are also the same as yours bud

adam
04-06-05, 10:50 PM
do what now?

jonboy
25-06-05, 03:44 PM
Okay I've had my Road Attacks on for approx 1400 miles and have to say that the longer I ride on them the more I like them. There was certainly no instant love affair as they turn in quicker than the 020s that were on their previously but the grip is excellent and they now inspire lots of confidence. I'm quite sure that on a good road surface they'll not let go unless you're trying GP angles of lean the SV isn't made for. I've had the right hand peg down without any fuss whatsoever which is enough for me.

Still haven't been out in the wet yet but this hot weather is mainly to blame for that ;).

As for wear well there's no way I'll get two fronts to a rear, both tyres will need to be replaced at the same time and possibly the front looks like it might be wearing slightly quicker than the back. Still loads of tread left though and going by the current wear rate I'd expect to get 7500 from them which is not entirely unreasonable.

Would I have another set? Going by how I feel at the moment the answer is yes. Whether to move on to Z6s for what will most likely be my final tyres on the SV (purely by way of comparison) I'm not yet sure about.

So if anyone regrets putting these Contis on I'd find that puzzling. Good tyre, good price. What you want something even stickier (what a hero!)? Well Conti are now bringing out the new Sport Attack (http://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/contibike/ti%20sport_attack.shtml) which will soon be released in SV fitments.

Stig
25-06-05, 04:30 PM
Still haven't been out in the wet yet but this hot weather is mainly to blame for that ;).

And there was me thinking that Friday at Soho would have been the perfect wet weather test. Obviously not, yah light weight. :lol: :lol:

jonboy
25-06-05, 04:42 PM
I thought about it but decided it would be really greasy as well after all the hot weather and this would give misleading feedback from the Road Attacks.

Carsick
26-06-05, 10:52 AM
I think I might try those sport attacks, next. I'm gonna need new tyres before the end of the year.

jonboy
19-07-05, 09:47 PM
2000 mile report:

Still haven't been out in the wet yet :lol: Not avoiding it just been riding in great weather.

Okay, how are they feeling? Good. Better grip IMHO than either the 020 or even the 010. In fact so soft is the compound (contrary to popular belief) that the leading edges of the tread are wearing really fast on the front, so much so that I anticipate that they'll need changing after 5000 miles, which is hardly the wear I was expecting. The sides of the tyres now have a nice sandpaper texture to them, so obviously I'm working them hot and hard.

Admitedly I've been throwing them around the A507 a hell of a lot and using the sides of the tyres far more than previously (just less straight road riding) but the wear rate is still a little disappointing. But the performance honestly makes up for it. Yes they're quicker and more nervous than 020s (so may not suit true novice riders) but they certainly give feedback and don't let go.

Would I replace them with the same? More than likely.

Red ones
20-07-05, 06:37 AM
Interesting reading. I am up for replacing my 020s - for once they have worn out at the same time!

Bob's Tyres in Stevenage have quoted £163 fully fitted. If I get Jonboys predicted 7500 miles a pair they may not sound unreasonable. I get about 6000 to an 020 rear and 9000 to an 020 front (much the same as I did to those awful Mez4s!). I am putting together a rather wizzy spreadsheet to work out things like cost benefit, so will plug the figures in later, but i think it sounds OK.

For reference my 020s have worn strangely. The front is evenly worn across the whole width and has only washed out on a couple of occasions on roundabouts etc. The rear is majorly squared off and now is as lively as a kiddy in sweet shop, it regularly steps out on me at roundabouts which it never used to. (Admitted my bulk usage is a commute that is 30 miles each way, 20 of which is motorway, the rest is filtering through traffic)

streetos
21-07-05, 07:05 PM
Just had the Contis fitted to my curvy. (£135 ride in, ride out at Stewarts Motorcycles near Mansfield. Top deal, top job, top bloke :thumbsup: ) Initial thoughts, after my old Azaros it feels like the bike has been fitted with a steering damper they are so stable. And whereas before the bike would try and follow any line in the road it now ignores them completely. Bit early to comment on the grip but they can't possibly be any worse in the wet that the Azaros. (I certainly hope not!)

sd1cko
16-08-05, 05:42 PM
Has anyone noticed there road attacks becoming slippy with the higher road temperatures? or is this just likely to be bad road surfaces "melting" on my usual routes?

Im about ready for another set, and until now was definately getting the same again, but im not so sure now! :?
Under braking is fine! Hard acceleration from standing gets the back spinning a bit, but thats to be expected now there nearly slick in the centre! :P But theres about 3-4mm left on the sides, and they seem to slide alot in mid bend when fairly hard over (but no further than seems ok in average temps :( )

is it just me perhaps getting too erratic n throwing the bike around instead of being smooth? :oops: :D (its easy for the nice weather to go to your head :) )

sd1cko
16-08-05, 05:49 PM
Ooh, almost forgot! anyone heard anymore about the sport attack's? ive been one conti's web site and cant find 'em in the size for the sv650 :(

jonboy
16-08-05, 05:49 PM
I've had no problems at all with the RAs slipping, even with the pegs down. In fact my sides are more worn than the centres. Most likely oily tarmac you've encountered.

Stig
16-08-05, 06:03 PM
Well after 4000 miles the rear has been replaced. I didn't get anywhere near the mileage I was expecting from them.

The centre of the rear was to the limit where as the side profile had plenty of life left in them. Too many straight line roads I hear you say. Well not really. The front is also ready for replacement. Although I can still read the "road attack" writing on the front tyre the side profile of the tire has reached the depth markers already. Go figure because I can't.

I now have a Roadtec Z6 on the rear and am hoping for better wear results that the road attack. Considering that the Z6's don't have a tread pattern in the centre of the tyre, I am hopeful.

So what are my thoughts of the Road Attacks ? Well considering that they are sports touring tyres they hold grip brilliantly. Both in the dry and the wet. I had bags of confidence in the tyre right from leaving the garage after having them fitted in the pouring rain. They give tremendous feel as to what they are doing. When they want to break away under hard acceleration out of a corner, they let me know before doing so. I had them to the very edges without leaning off the bike and were perfect.

The front is absolutely planted and never once did I feel at unease on them.

The only thing that disappointed me was the mileage that I got out of them. Yes they are cheap tyres, and good with it. But it's false economy when they only last that long. For someone that can not afford to replace rubber at £135 a throw every four months not a good buy.

If I could afford it, I would be tempted to buy them all the time. Fantastic all round tyre in the dry and the wet. And the tread pattern is so cool.

sd1cko
16-08-05, 06:28 PM
Well not really. The front is also ready for replacement. Although I can still read the "road attack" writing on the front tyre the side profile of the tire has reached the depth markers already

Thats exactly how mine have gone! :? but the front has only wore to the rear of the tread markers! :? :? so theyre staying for now!! :lol:

Is it possible for tyres to get a slippy covering? i.e not ridden hard for 50 - 150 mile or so, then when taken for a blast, the edges have seen the tarmac for the first time in a while and perhaps cause the bike to slide ?? Would fit the bill to what seems to be happening to me!? ill ride for ten mile or so not leaning too harsh to let the tyres warm up, but then start to increase lean angles. after sliding around in the bends for a few miles (looks good tho :P ) i seem to then gather a little more grip each corner until they are fine! but have experimented and did a 50 mile commute, then when nearly home i when to enjoy some corners and found the rear to be sliding! but, as above little by little the grip seemed to return over 5-10 mile or so

Stig
16-08-05, 06:34 PM
I'm afraid I can not answer that question. Not ridden hard for HOW MANY MILES :shock: :shock: :shock:

Seriously though, I would not have thought this was a contributing factor at all. More likely it just the roads you ride. The conti's I have found get warmed up very quickly and for little effort to.

sd1cko
16-08-05, 06:38 PM
Not ridden hard for HOW MANY MILES hehe :) tend to see a lot of wet weather, and if i dont i have the missus on the back! :cry:

I never used to have problems with sliding! So im either letting my riding skills slip, or its crap roads, and perhaps the heat make the rubbbish surfaces worse. Some of the roads i go on to the local sherburn meet are a bit "patchy" :oops: or perhaps the tyres are just at the end of there road and prefer more grip one the edges!?

**edit** oh well, off to purchase some more at the end of the month i suppose :), along with a well worn chain which i have put off for long enough now :oops:

650newb
18-08-05, 05:09 AM
well then, down to me for the (short)wet report:

ive ridden in the wet quite alot with the conti's on and although most of my journey's are on the A14, the grip is still remarkable on the corners even after doing about 6-7k miles on them and the rear squaring off.

i'll let someone that can lean better than me do a better report as im still learning to lean properly

rictus01
19-08-05, 01:52 AM
Well I was going to try these next, but considering I'm looking at about 10k or so from my Z6's on the Triumph I can't see the conti's lasting anywhere near that having to deal with a 200kg/ 138bhp bike :shock: .

Might give the vipers a bash :?:

Cheers Mark.

PoRk ChOp
24-08-05, 09:03 AM
I had a pair of Road Attacks fitted last week as the origional tyres had squared off a little.

After much ringing around to get a decent price, I eventually got the 2 fitted (ride in/out service) from National Tyres for..........£130! I told them another company would do them for that price so they price matched, if you dont ask you dont get.

Initial thoughts - So much more grip than the crap that the bike comes fitted with. The bike turns in so much better now and is far more predictable. The grip in the wet is better, but it's the confidence that they give you that makes the difference.

I should have ditched the dunlops a long time ago.

Grinch
28-03-06, 08:46 AM
Right... I've had a Conti Road Attack put on my rear last week (020 on the front) and I've now done over 500 miles. No problems in either the cold, wet or dry, I can't say I've yet to notice more grip then the old 020 that was on there. Though it has not got worse, as the roads start to dry up I'll push the tyre a bit more and will also try to keep track of the mileage.

SpankyHam
04-05-06, 08:22 AM
My Road Attacks have been fitted now for 5000 miles.

Front: You can still read the "Road Attacks" logo :shock: not squared off.

Rear: Still have ~2 - 3 mm left in them. Not squared off.

jim@55
04-05-06, 12:56 PM
my rear (ra)is a wee bit squared off now (3000)miles ,il prob need a new tyre some point soon .Can i mix and go for a metz z6 on the rear with an ra front or am i gonna have to replace 'like with like' :?

admin
29-06-06, 07:14 PM
I had Contiforces on the old curvy SV and thought they were pretty good. My new 04 SV still had Dunlop 220s on it when I got it last October and the front tyre was about shot after 7k.

I didn't think the dunlops were too bad, I'd had no nasty moments either in the wet or the dry. So should I stick with them I thought.

Before deciding I read the threads here and decided to go back to Conti. I've had a road attack fitted to the front and I'm chuffed to bits. The bike steers so much better than before. It just rolls into corners in a with such ease. Some of this may be down to going from a worn tyre to a new one, but I think its more than that.

The rear is getting as well now, so guess what's going on that.

My 2p

John

Zokambaa
20-11-07, 06:40 PM
I just got a couple of the conti road attacks
Front Made in Korea and Manufactured in Nov 06
Rear Made in German and Manufactured May 07
(the number after the DOT ie: xxxxxx2507 tells the week/year made see thumbnail below)

So, has anyone noticed a quality issue with the tires made in Korea? How about mileage difference between fronts made in Germany and Fronts made in Korea (or with regular front tread and VS with reversed pattern)

I know tread is a reversed pattern on the front, has anyone noticed any reduced grip in the rain? I wouldn't think it would matter as the contact patch on a bike is much smaller than a car and the tread lines seem to always have one side open anyway (unless you were running nearly flat)

I'm temted to get mine put on now... but we'll have snow here soon.. so I'll probably wait for the spring thaw.