PDA

View Full Version : *WARNING* How NOT to build a high level K3 link pipe!

cmonkey
05-07-04, 11:01 PM
I don't think that Blueflame have quite figured out how to correctly form a K3 high level link pipe yet!

I received the pipe a week and a half ago and all excitedly rushed to my garage to offer up the pipe to check for initial fit. You can imagine my horror when I realised that it was going to be a country mile out at the back. I rang Blueflame the next day and they were quite apologetic and said they would send out a courier to pick up the can and that I would have my new, correct fitting link pipe within a couple of days. So today the DHL driver arrived with the box and imagine my total and utter surprise when I opened it up, looked at the link pipe and thought to myself; "Hmm, this looks an awful lot like the link pipe I sent back not 6 days ago!" And sure enough when I offered it up to the bike it was indeed the exact same link pipe. So, I've waited 6 days for absolutely nothing. Not overly impressed at the moment as you can imagine.

Anyway, just to prove to Blueflame that it is completely wrong I hacked off the old exhaust at the correct point (at least they'd provided me with a sleeve in the box to put the old can back on with or else I'd never have hacked the old one off) and put the new can on with the malformed link pipe and took a few photos, which I'm going to email to Blueflame tomorrow after getting on the phone to them and raising holy hell. The can itself sounded absolutely gorgeous when installed and in that position it would save me from having to buy crash bungs coz if I ditched the bike on the right hand side the can would prevent anything else from touching the ground!!

Maybe i'm the first ever customer to order a high level K3, a guinea pig so to speak. Who knows!

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/cmonkey/Image(278).jpg
Even the cat couldn't believe how far out the damn thing was!!

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/cmonkey/Image(277).jpg

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/cmonkey/Image(279).jpg

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/cmonkey/Image(280).jpg

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/cmonkey/Image(282).jpg

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/cmonkey/Image(284).jpg
From this angle there doesn't appear to be anything wrong with it!

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/cmonkey/Image(285).jpg
The offending article.

cmonkey

Cloggsy
05-07-04, 11:08 PM
That's so bad, it's quite amusing...

Do you think it might have been made on the same day as Dr Rich's end can (i.e. Fraday, probably PM :shock: )

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Stig
05-07-04, 11:35 PM
Sorry, I know that you must be seriously ****ed off, but when I saw the photos I could do nothing but laugh.

Which in its self isn't funny, cause the laughing caused my broken ribs to hurt me. Which in turn caused my wife to laugh at me because I was laughing and at the same time saying "ouch my ribs are hurting".

Which in turn again caused me to laugh even more, causing more pain and more complaining. I then told her to be quite as she was not helping the cause. She eventually stopped laughing at me and eventually I managed to get my giggles under control.

Time for pain killers then.

She asked me why I had started laughing in the first place, so I showed her the photos or your exhaust.

Guess what... she started laughing, which in turn.............................................. ......

So next time anyone wants to post something like that, please put a warning on, for the likes of the serious injured. :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol:

cmonkey
06-07-04, 12:09 AM
OK, I've changed the subject line now Ape! Are you satisfied?! :D

Soz for making ya laugh so much in ya time of pain. But just glad that ya can still laugh along with the rest of us after all you've been thru.

I've got to admit i'm laughing at the pics myself as I look at them again, don't think Blueflame will be laughing when I get them on the phone tomorrow though :evil:

cmonkey

Iansv
06-07-04, 07:43 AM
Now thats a true mutant!! at least you'd be individual at rideouts... :lol:

Chris
06-07-04, 07:48 AM
I had a high level blueflame evo, and have to say that the fit was perfect (if not a bit to tight to the rear body work) it did take quite a lot of time twisting the link pipe and can to get it to line up though.
The only problem i had was that the can hanger flexed too much causing the base of the can to crack.

sv4me
06-07-04, 02:06 PM
:shock: :lol: Wouldnt like to filter with that on

Viney
06-07-04, 02:11 PM
And there i rest my case about Blueflame.

I thank you *Bows*

sv4me
06-07-04, 02:48 PM
Think this might be 1off. Dont think they could make another 1 like that if they tried! :lol:

Wouldnt get that with Renegade though (ahem)

Iansv
06-07-04, 02:51 PM
oh i bet they could :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sid Squid
06-07-04, 03:50 PM
What's wrong with that? I rather like the grenade launcher look.

Who wants to be just one of the crowd, very individual that pipe is, I think you ought to phone Blueflame and apologise for the horrid things you said about them, and thank them for that piece of motor-bicycling art.

Then again...........................maybe not.

Cloggsy
06-07-04, 03:53 PM
What was the outcome of the phone call Adey :?:

cmonkey
06-07-04, 05:13 PM
Ok, here's an update from todays phone calls to Blueflame.

I rang them first thing this morning and they were adamant that the link pipe was the correct one so I said "Right then, i'll email the pics i've taken with it in place and tell me then that it's the right link pipe when you've seen them!"

I mailed them the pics and rang them a couple of hours later. They were still insistent that it was the right link pipe! (maybe it's a new look that they're aiming for!) I asked them if they sold many high level K3 SV cans and they said it was one of their most popular lines! The guy (Rod) then asked me to put the link pipe on the other way around as it may have been made the wrong way! By this time my patience was wearing very very thin. He asked me where I had made the cut on the original headers, i told him 50mm from weld as explained on installation sheet. He told me to go and take some more pics of bike with no link pipe on and of bike with just link pipe on. I did so and mailed them the pics at about 4pm today. I rang them and told them that i'd mailed them some more pics and they said they'd get back to me. It's now 6pm and i've heard nothing since.

Not the happiest of bunnies at the moment as you can understand.

If they can't offer me a satisfactory solution tomorrow then i'll box the whole lot up, ship it back to them and claim a full refund including postage. I just hope to God that any other manufacturers end can requires cutting of original pipe at 50mm from weld point otherwise i've potentially got a totally useless exhaust system. Any comments from those of you who have put aftermarket cans on as to where the cut should be?

cmonkey

Stig
06-07-04, 06:24 PM
Damn I was about to say, hold on two secs and I will go out and measure mine for you, then I realized, bollox, my bike aint there :cry: :cry:

Sudoxe
06-07-04, 09:24 PM
CCC high level is 45mm afairc...so there are choices.

Ill post some pics of my K4 high level when i get a min

Dan

splke
06-07-04, 10:15 PM
yeah no worries on the cut mate.
BTW mine looked like that when i first fit it.It took ages of twisting to get it sopmething like.
Still not sorted as they (scorpion) seem to have forgot to send the proper mount for the k3 !!!

weegaz22
06-07-04, 10:56 PM
have you tried turning the link pipe so that its closer to the body work? like as if it was going to go under the seat? then put the can on? im not questioning your ability to install an exhaust but it looks to me that the pipe is too upright in the pic (4th) thats looking at the rear of the bike, it should be going over the top of the swing arm

cmonkey
06-07-04, 11:31 PM
Believe me, i've tried every single conceivable different position of rotation of both the link pipe and the can. I spent at least an hour on Tuesday on that and the thoughts running through my head were "surely if I spend enough time pratting about with it I'll get it to fit somehow" but alas, no.

I tried what you said about rotating the link pipe inwards more towards the swingarm and that does indeed pull the lower end of the can in to the area where the rear footrests normally are, but it still leaves the back end of the can sticking out a mile. No amount of rotation of link pipe/can will make up for the fact that Blueflame have missed out a bend on either the lower or upper end of the link pipe to pull the pipe in towards the bike.

I invite anybody here on these forums to come to my house and do a better effort than what is shown on these pics. Believe, that is the best I can possibly get it.

cmonkey

amarko5
06-07-04, 11:33 PM
My setiments exactly Adrian (as above)

however if you can't crack it then (WING) your way up to my place and we will have a go :P :wink: (sorry could not resist)

Your pics however as Big Ape said (hurt my ribs) :wink:

cmonkey
06-07-04, 11:44 PM
Here is another higher quality image of the zorst with the link pipe turned pretty much as far inwards as it can go without the lower end of the can catching on the rear footrest mounting plate. As you can quite clearly see the link pipe is tucked well in and so is the lower end of the can, however due to the lack of bend somewhere in the link pipe, the back end of the can sticks out like a sore thumb!

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/cmonkey/DSC00041.JPG

cmonkey

amarko5
06-07-04, 11:53 PM
Here is another higher quality image of the zorst with the link pipe turned pretty much as far inwards as it can go without the lower end of the can catching on the rear footrest mounting plate. As you can quite clearly see the link pipe is tucked well in and so is the lower end of the can, however due to the lack of bend somewhere in the link pipe, the back end of the can sticks out like a sore thumb!

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/cmonkey/DSC00041.JPG

cmonkey

No i must admit now i have seen that angle, There is NO Way that is going to fit properly.

Bummer :!:

weegaz22
06-07-04, 11:58 PM
have you tried placing the link pipe just under the bracket then slipping the can on?

amarko5
07-07-04, 07:44 PM
Any news Adrian

what happened today mate ???????????

northwind
08-07-04, 09:59 PM
I reckon that's an original shape link pipe... Though it's hard to tell from photos, I reckon the K3/4 stock pipe is more out-ey at that point.

cmonkey
09-07-04, 12:56 AM
Blueflame insist it's for a K3/4 as it has a heat deflector on which the K1/2 high level link pipe doesn't. I'm still waiting for a new link pipe to arrive from BF, i'm getting good at this whole waiting thing, good job i've got the patience of a saint eh!?

cmonkey

Cloggsy
09-07-04, 07:48 AM
I'm still waiting for a new link pipe to arrive from BF, i'm getting good at this whole waiting thing, good job i've got the patience of a saint eh!?

$h1te though isn't it :?: :evil:

21QUEST
15-08-04, 02:06 PM
Blimey, I almost choked on my banana when I saw those pics. :lol:

Cheers
Ben

21QUEST
15-08-04, 02:07 PM
Blimey, I almost choked on my banana when I saw those pics. :lol:

Cheers
Ben

micromouse
18-08-04, 02:23 PM
Well I actually have a BF high level on a K3 and had simillar problems with the twists..but its now all hunky dory...can send pix and measurements if you need then

MM

Warren
20-09-04, 07:08 PM
ive just spent/wasted a day fitting my blue flame can
gotta say mine is the opposite of yours -
the friggin can is going into the wheel (literally )
see biking issues - i put a post there hoping for some help
but now i seen this - mabe someone needs to show those guys what a motor bike actually looks like (do they know it has 2 wheels ? )

carelesschucca
08-12-04, 10:19 PM
they seem to do a good job the Blue flame boys... Their workmanship is amazing!!!

Junior
13-01-05, 09:31 AM
Oh Christ Almighty!!

Thanks for that man. Haven't had a laugh like that in ages. That'd be great for chain service. Just lean it on the pipe and away you go AAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!! Ok, I'm done now. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Now I'm really really done for sure. (snicker snicker)

Grinch
13-01-05, 09:38 AM
I rather like it.. maybe I could get 2... one each side. Though it would make filtering a nightmare!
Just hope it all gets sorted, and remember that you as a consumer have the law on your side. And be sure to ask before you do anything as there is a welth of info on this site, and I have a consumer law book at home that I can look at if you need any advice. The way things have been going I think I'll start taking it with me to work!

minky
08-07-05, 10:31 AM
Interesting that the pipe shown looks to be the exact same pipe I received for a K4, that wouldn't fit either.

In the spirit of forum hilarity though I might just slap it on and take some photos this weekend :lol:

didge
08-07-05, 10:51 AM
and post em here: :wink:

Red ones
08-07-05, 11:04 AM
Are right hand corners easier with the exhaust thrust assistance???

smgee
08-07-05, 06:13 PM
cmonkey - as you aren't a million miles away from them, why not slap the standard can back on and take the new bits back for them to sort out?

I had a high-level can on my SK1 which I couldn't get to fit. Turned out they had sent me a K3 link pipe. Took the bike back there and the guys fitted it for me, made me up a modified baffle & bung, polished the alloy mounting posts and threw in some spare badges. They are actually very helpful guys, its just that their mail order and sales sections seem to be effin' useless!

ophic
08-07-05, 08:07 PM
cmonkey - as you aren't a million miles away from them, why not slap the standard can back on and take the new bits back for them to sort out?

I had a high-level can on my SK1 which I couldn't get to fit. Turned out they had sent me a K3 link pipe. Took the bike back there and the guys fitted it for me, made me up a modified baffle & bung, polished the alloy mounting posts and threw in some spare badges. They are actually very helpful guys, its just that their mail order and sales sections seem to be effin' useless!
check the post dates ppl.

thowdmon
14-08-05, 10:23 PM
Just seen this for the 1st time on my new £1500 laptop while suppin a can of Carlsberg Export. Most of it is now all over the screen and keyboard as i spat it out all over the place with laughter, sorry mate but they need there **** kicking, Hope you got sorted in the end>>>

Richie
27-08-06, 08:53 AM
Just seen this for the 1st time on my new £1500 laptop while suppin a can of Carlsberg Export. Most of it is now all over the screen and keyboard as i spat it out all over the place with laughter, sorry mate but they need there @rse kicking, Hope you got sorted in the end>>>

^^^
He who laugh last, laughs .........

Sorry but had to resurrect this back from the grave as it was first posted in July 2004 :wink:

Blazingsvbiker
10-09-06, 08:06 AM
ahahhahahahahahhaahahaah :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :D :D :D :D :D

That exhaust is off the hook hahahahahaha

Kinvig
14-09-06, 08:13 AM
Now my exhaust is on & I won't jinx myself by saying this:

I couldn't stop lauging at that! Really felt for you, but sorry it's amusing.

Have you got it sorted?

Dirk

carlos
14-09-06, 01:07 PM
Have you got it sorted?

I'd certainly hope so after 2 years :lol:

Kinvig
14-09-06, 02:27 PM
oh, yeah. Missed that bit.

Warren
13-11-06, 07:45 PM
wow, i posted in this thread 2 years ago, and here i still am :)

in the end, they admitted they sent me the wrong link pipe, and they send me another, which fitted.
(and waiting another month for it to arrive)