PDA

View Full Version : Next Year

Jelster
05-08-04, 09:16 PM
Not sure what I'll be organising next year. This years trip was both a success and a failure for me.

The idea I had was for a bunch of like minded people to go and have fun in the same place, and I was hoping that the 12 bikes would split into smaller groups and each do "their thing", meeting back in the evening, swapping tales of the days adventures. It didn't quite work as I had planned and we had one large group riding around which is hard to manage.

I was thinking of ways to do Southern Spain, but I can't find a cost effective way of getting the bikes down there, so I think that's on the back burner for now. So, I'd be interested in hearing any ideas for next year.

lynw
05-11-04, 09:27 AM
Hi, new to the forum but have a sort of idea where im heading next year on my sv... any like minded people welcome to join me as summer approaches i will be firming things up but the current idea is:

ashford (conveniently where i live) - calais - belgium

- down to the ardennes where Ive ridden round some fantastic roads particularly on roads following a river called the meandering muses...

- not sure whether to follow down to luxembourg and cross to germany from a place called vianden or to go up to the netherlands... either way get to northern germany... gotta do the autobahn lol

- up to denmark, ferry to gothenburg

- up to oslo, depending on time ride up north norway, but head to bergen and ferry back to uk...

Moriarty
05-11-04, 10:27 AM
Now that sounds like fun. I'd be interested in knowing a bit more about that as the time approaches. I especially like the idea of the autobahns - never done it in a car, never done it on a bike and wouldn't mind being able to open the old girl up for a good stretch...

Copenhagen is lovely as well. As are all the places you listed (never been to luxembourg though).

Me, I'm determined to ride down to southern Spain at some point next year if only to show me mum the bike.

Certainly food for thought here...

lynw
05-11-04, 02:29 PM
got my licence about 4 years ago, got a gpz500 then a month later rode 2000 miles around europe on it....

the autobahns... not all of them are unlimited speeds but had fully laden gpz reading 125mph.... so want to take the sv on one...

closest i've got was to riding my sv on the back roads in oz... no police, no cameras... hahaha... the fastest i opened her up to was around 200ks an hour... fuel consumption became an issue at that speed given the distance between petrol stations over there so i kind of stuck at 160/180ks most of the time...

lived in holland for a while so possibly thinking a stop off in 'dam or utrecht may be an option... oh its so much fun planning these things....

Jelster
05-11-04, 05:15 PM
Still up in the air but it looks like an 8 day trip starting with the Motor-rail from Lille to the South coast and making our way back up through the Alps, Alsace and home via the Arden.

lynw
06-11-04, 03:37 PM
and since im a civil servant and get shed loads of leave per year (got to have some perks at least) and mileage is not an issue with me will probably be up for that as well as doing my norway trip ...

anything that involves the ardennes is gonna be tempting... :D

kjohanss
06-11-04, 03:52 PM
If the trip ever gets to Norway, I'm sure I can be helpful with local knowledge and language. I live in Oslo and I would very much like to join a trip like this :D

Please keep me posted.

lynw
06-11-04, 04:57 PM
will definitely keep you posted... im definitely going to do it whether im on my own or not... its just a matter of when next summer....

THEONLYWIGGY
11-11-04, 03:16 PM
I would not mind the south of france/spain/switzerland area we could clock up a few countries in one week! Any way count me in for a Euro tour next year. :shock:

lynw
11-11-04, 03:31 PM
managed 8 in a week last time... switzerland was my fave place in that trip... such astounding scenery... \:D/

noted your signature... currently live in ashford but used to live south london... know a few good roads round croydon/bromley way... :P

Raf
11-11-04, 05:03 PM
Both trips interest me highly. After serveral failures and false starts this year, next year I'd like to go on a bit of vengeance. :twisted:

And if you are going to share a few routes I'd like to write them down, I am trying to improve the quality of my rides and do a riding routes atlas you see... :oops:

kjohanss
12-11-04, 12:46 PM
... I was thinking of ways to do Southern Spain, but I can't find a cost effective way of getting the bikes down there, so I think that's on the back burner for now. So, I'd be interested in hearing any ideas for next year.

What about... riding the bikes to Southern Spain?

We could stay in my fathers house in Jerez de la Frontera, visit the race track, play golf, go on day-trips to Portugal, and wine & dine all day long :D

See the house at www.casajerezana.com I can surly get us a discount :wink:

lynw
12-11-04, 12:52 PM
could do it the other way round... ferry uk - bergen... come down to oslo and then down to spain... :D
wahey!! lets rack up those miles :riding:

Viney
12-11-04, 01:03 PM
Youre all mad. Riding any distance on an SV is painful, well for me it is. anything over 200 miles a day, then i have to laydown for a week!

However, i would like to go roaund norway and the 'cold' contries

lynw
12-11-04, 01:10 PM
200 miles isnt that far off my daily commute :lol:
one thing i am contemplating is a gel seat... but to be honest the sv is really comfy for me... but im 5ft 4 and fit it snugly :lol:

Carsick
12-11-04, 01:18 PM
It's the numb bum and stiff legs that do me in (err, that didn't sound right)
Gel seat is high on the shopping list.

kjohanss
12-11-04, 01:47 PM
My longest stretch this summer: Basel (Switzerland)- Aalborg (Denmark) - 1400 km (870 miles) on a standard SV seat :shock:

Why punish myself like that? This was on a sunday. Saturday I took a wrong turn in Italy and ended up on a narrow mountain road. Instead of driving through the tunnel, I went over the mountain. I could have done about 560 miles that day, but did only 370 miles. I was one day overdue for my home trip, and I had to be in Aalborg monday morning to take the ferry to Oslo.

So, I did the remaining 870 miles in one leg. I spent 14 hours on my bike that day; one hour driving, ten minutes streatching out, one hour driving, ten minutes filling gas (and stretching out), one hour driving... and so on.

Anyone for Spain in 2005? :lol: I'm game!

Moriarty
12-11-04, 02:42 PM
I'm deffo up for Spain next year. Need to see my mum (Alicante) and my sister (Gibraltar) at some point.

Might have to do two trips - One down south, one up north.

lynw
12-11-04, 03:08 PM
good idea... like the sound of 2 trips... one north one south.

I know someone who has ridden in Norway and Ive seen the pics so thats a must... plus I really wanna see the northern lights... thats a must in my life...

and riding in the warmth.. oh how i miss oz... but spain and riding to will be cool... same person has done spain on bike too and ive seen those pics so will be up for that too...

thinking poss doing the faro run.. ferry 2 portugal... rally and then spain and up home?

and ow to 1400km... even id struggle with that :lol: :notworthy:

Jelster
13-11-04, 06:14 PM
Last year we did 1700 miles in 5 days, and in Octoner 2 of us did 1100 in 3 days (1 day only doing about 85...) so are we talking about going on holiday with a bike here, or about a "biking holiday" ?? :lol:

The Eurotour croud come to ride, drink, and throw up in the morning... :riding: :drink:

snoopy
13-11-04, 06:39 PM
I'm interested in this for when my PGCE ends next year. Gotta make an appearance at some point and show I'm not the ass my friend made me out to be a couple month back :) . Do you take tents / sleep in youth hostals??

lynw
15-11-04, 09:22 AM
previously when I did this we took tent with the occasional stop in a hotel... but given it was me and my partner that was easy enough...

campsites that we stayed at were pretty cheap and usually had good facilities and were well marked on the maps which is always a bonus... :wink: :lol:

and the difference between a biking holiday and going on holiday on a bike is??? :lol: :lol: :riding:

lots of european mileage... bring it on... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jelster
15-11-04, 02:16 PM
and the difference between a biking holiday and going on holiday on a bike is??? :lol: :lol: :riding:

Good man.... :thumbsup:

lynw
15-11-04, 02:26 PM
girlie actually.... :lol:

Jelster
15-11-04, 03:55 PM
girlie actually.... :lol:

#-o :oops:

Topcat
15-11-04, 08:21 PM
Lynw wrote :

Tip : Eurotours ARE a topbox free zone ......... :lol: :lol:

kjohanss
16-11-04, 02:41 AM
Lynw wrote :

Tip : Eurotours ARE a topbox free zone ......... :lol: :lol:

But I like my top... :-#

Hehe...

lynw
16-11-04, 09:19 AM
I can see the next tour splitting into 2 groups already...

those with top boxes and room to carry the beer :lol: and those without...

funny you should mention the top box... theres a yellow sv parking in torrens street each day as I get into work... now its parked there today with a TOP BOX on it!!! wahey!! Im not the only nutter out there lol
:lol: :lol: :wink:

Anonymous
16-11-04, 11:45 AM
I prefer panier bags cause I like mine wide rather than tall, only problem is last set I had on my GS500 were burnt through from exhaust. :(

Surely need something, a backpack couldn't fit everything in??

lynw
16-11-04, 12:49 PM
eh.. have panniers but not put them on the sv yet... maybe its cos there in a container in liverpool... but i travel tall and wide :lol: :lol: :lol:

top boxes are useful for storing documents esp. when it rains... there are some who will argue against a top box... but its a personal thing.... :wink: :lol: :lol:

I dont like backpacks... dont like the idea of landing on one.. unless its just full of clothes... that just seems like asking for a back injury to me... so its top box, panniers, tankbag and stuff (usually my tent) bungeed to the seat...

snoopy
09-12-04, 12:22 PM
How much do people usually spend on such tours?

kjohanss
09-12-04, 12:46 PM

My trip 2004:

Km: 4715
Gas: £150
Hotels: £870
Ferry Oslo - Kiel: £189
Ferry Aalborg - Oslo: £45
Food&drinks: I have no idea

lynw
09-12-04, 12:49 PM
depends a lot on where you go, how long you go for and how you travel.

some countries are cheaper than others, obviously the longer the more fuel/costs you are going to incur and where you stay has an impact.

camp sites were usually quite cheap and reasonable across belgium/germany/france when I went. hotels in Switzerland are expensive.

think I spent £300 on my 10 days round europe last time.... but then my ex did pay for the swiss hotels... my overdraft couldnt run to those!!! :lol:

lynw
09-12-04, 12:51 PM

sounds like a lot spent on the drinks then... :lol:

oh this is gonna be a good trip :lol: :lol: :lol:

kjohanss
09-12-04, 01:24 PM

sounds like a lot spent on the drinks then... :lol:

oh this is gonna be a good trip :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hehe... I remember one night in Kitzbühel (or do I). I went to Londoners pub... apparently I purchased two t-shirts with the words: 'Drink 'til she's cute' :shock: And I woke up the morning after with both t-shirts on...

Also that night, I called the girl I was seeing, and she was more than overwhelmed by my state of mind.

Nice town, by the way :D :drink:

lynw
09-12-04, 01:37 PM
Also that night, I called the girl I was seeing, and she was more than overwhelmed by my state of mind.

ahhhh this is where your recollection of the evening comes from.. :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: amazing memories us women have eh?!! :wink: :lol: :lol:

Jelster
13-12-04, 07:08 PM

For a week I normally allow £500 plus fuel.

Most hotels are about 40-55 Euro per night for a twin room inc breakfast, so that's about £20' ish, x 7 is £140. About £60 for the ferry Allow £15 per day for food, plus we tend to have a "last supper" at a better eating place before we go, so call it £120 for the week

Sub total of £320
Fuel about £250
Plus beer money and cash for those speeding tickets - just in case !!

RenamedMonkey
17-12-04, 03:00 PM
cash for those speeding tickets - just in case !!

Oh just run away and don't pay them :oops: :roll:

Jelster
18-12-04, 11:43 AM

That's a point mate, how's your V5 ???? :lol:

Damien
19-12-04, 10:03 PM
Hiya Monkey,

Been a while!

What's happening with regards to your V5. Did the DVLA replace it? Did you save yourself money? Are you now a wanted man in France & are being searched for by Inter Pol??? :wink:

Take it easy m8 & look after that damn monkey!

Damien. :D

Anonymous
05-01-05, 12:03 AM
I wanna go again Steve. :D

RenamedMonkey
05-01-05, 04:02 PM

That's a point mate, how's your V5 ???? :lol:

Hiya Monkey,

Been a while!

What's happening with regards to your V5. Did the DVLA replace it? Did you save yourself money? Are you now a wanted man in France & are being searched for by Inter Pol??? :wink:

Take it easy m8 & look after that damn monkey!

Damien. :D

I've got a new V5, £19, and I've been to France once since then. They haven't caught me yet! :lol: Going skiing at the end of January... If you don't hear back from me keep an eye on the French news :wink:

Jelster
05-01-05, 10:28 PM
Put the bikes on an overnight train in Lille to wake up the next morning on the South coast. Then 7 days riding back through the Alps and the Arden. :lol:

Probably over the summer bank holiday at the end of August.

Well that's plan A....

trickdup
06-01-05, 06:54 AM
I'd like to go again Steve but would prefer for split into groups for rides as you said before.. Happy new Year BTW.

Mr Toad
06-01-05, 01:49 PM
P&O Ferries are doing a half-price ferry deal if you book before the end of Jan - not sure what it usually costs to take a bike over :?:

see here (http://www.motorcyclenews.com/nav?page=motorcyclenews.articles.articleCategory.a rticle&resourceId=931700&articleCategory=MCN-EXTRA_MCN-PROMOTIONS)

Last summer I used www.speedferries.com to take the car & family over from Dover, and they were great value at £100. I've just checked their website, and it looks like £50 is the going rate for a return with a bike for late Aug '05

What's the cost of the train looking like Steve :?:

(I need to plan very carefully or Mrs Toad will get the hump :cry:)

lynw
10-01-05, 02:59 PM
talking with Sid at Soho on Friday, the possibility of a scandanavian trip arose.

Now I dont know if anyone else gets as much leave as I do but Im up for 2 trips - one the spain trip... poss june/july due to the heat in high summer and having ridden in oz temps I would prefer the nice warmth of early summer rather than scorching heat...

and second a scandanavian trip around august/sept when the weathers still good to go north...

hows that sound with people?

Anonymous
10-01-05, 03:10 PM
I might be interested in a Scandanavian trip, sound different an interesting. Perhaps post a separate thread for interest on that one? I guess it will be more an adventure trip (which suits me more) than a trip to find exciting twisties, although correct me if I'm wrong which I no doubt am.

lynw
10-01-05, 03:27 PM
well jelsters original post was to find out where people wanted to go next year...

it seems there are 2 tours coming out of the replies - 1 to spain and the other to norway/finland. I think my original suggestion was to go from kent to France, through the Ardennes, up through holland, across germany to copenhagen and ferry to gothenburg riding to bergen and ferry back to uk.

why am I thinking of gel seats all of a sudden? :lol:

Stig
10-01-05, 03:46 PM
Haven't spotted this thread before. I went to Spain last year. Hang on a minute. I went to Spain a couple of years ago. We went via the Portsmouth / Santander ferry. Four of us went and shared a cabin. The cost worked out to be about £250 per person for the return trip. We (or rather I, as it was I that organised it) found that although the cost of the ferry seemed rather a lot, it worked out cheaper in the long run. If we had gone to France and rode through Europe to get there, the cost of fuel accommodation and tyres (there is no way one set of tyres would have done the trip), it actually worked out cheaper. We went in April, and we avoided all the possible bad weather by taking the ferry direct to Spain.

We only had one bad day of weather and that was when we went over the mountain on our return trip. Thick pea soup fog, ice, snow, sleet all in the space of a few miles. Other than that, it was SUN SUN and more SUN.

As much as I would like to go on another European adventure with you guys, the only reason that I managed to persuade Mrs Ape to let me go on the trip, was that I said it was a once in a life time adventure, so I guess trying to get another "once in a life time" adventure within two years would be pushing my luck.

If there are any questions about my trip that you might want to ask to help you decide where you would like to go, feel free to ask.

AlanSv
13-01-05, 09:30 AM
Steve, I've just had confirmation from she who must be obeyed, that we're going to turkey around the 20th of August for 2 weeks, so I cant go to spain if its those days.

kjohanss
13-01-05, 11:49 AM
I think we have to get started on deciding the dates. I have some friends planning a trip to the US this summer (I'm a part of that plan), and I have a DJ job at my cousins wedding in june (not sure of the date yet).

It's +7 degrees in Oslo, no snow, and the sun is shining. I so wanted to ride today - but the bike is stored away from me :cry:

This is the warmest winter in Norway since yhe turn of the century. And it's all man made... shame on us!

Jelster
13-01-05, 12:15 PM
Steve, I've just had confirmation from she who must be obeyed, that we're going to turkey around the 20th of August for 2 weeks, so I cant go to spain if its those days.

Arrgghh........

Plan "A" was to go go on the August Bank holiday, which is the 29th....

What you doing going to Spain anyway, you having multiple holidays this year ??

AlanSv
13-01-05, 01:26 PM
spain / france whereever we were going on the train

I dont want to change my Turkish holiday plans, as although I've owned a Villa in Turkey for 3 years I've never stayed in it during the peak season, and I'm determined this year to go in August. The rest of the peak season is already booked up.

So unless the bike tour is another time, I'll have to pull out.

lynw
13-01-05, 01:31 PM
again poss suggest spain june/july time? for those of us who dont like searing heat it would be a better option... :D

plus looking to head to scandanavia in august.....

Anonymous
13-01-05, 02:04 PM
August bank holiday might not be to good for me either, as i'm seriously considering a trip to Italy/Switzerland/France for the world Superbikes at Imola on the 2nd of October then Magny Cors a week later (9th of October). This would allow me to have to time in and around the beautiful Tuscanny / central Italy area, probably stopping off at the Ducatti factory in Bolgna for look around, also ferrari are near by , and maybe a track day at Monza or Mugello (both not that far away) . Then i could have the pleasure of riding the Italian Alps , recently described on Men @ Motors as the best biking roads in the world, ie not very straight, tarmac like a billiard table and of course stunning the scenary . Riding though the Italian/Swiss alps over a couple of days would be worth the trip alone . Also the weather should be a little cooler than the end of August when the south of France would i imagine be scorching .
I've often dreamed of doing a trip like this and due to the calender change i have an opportunity . If the Eurotour is at the end of August/beginning of September then i would have to chose between one trip or the other as i don't think i would be able to go on both so close together . I must admit if i did miss the eurotour i would be gutted as i have on the last 2 and loved every minute of them, thanks to great company , Steve's excellent organisation, and of course great roads and weather .

Topcat
13-01-05, 02:07 PM
August bank holiday might not be to good for me either, as i'm seriously considering a trip to Italy/Switzerland/France for the world Superbikes at Imola on the 2nd of October then Magny Cors a week later (9th of October). This would allow me to have to time in and around the beautiful Tuscanny / central Italy area, probably stopping off at the Ducatti factory in Bolgna for look around, also ferrari are near by , and maybe a track day at Monza or Mugello (both not that far away) . Then i could have the pleasure of riding the Italian Alps , recently described on Men @ Motors as the best biking roads in the world, ie not very straight, tarmac like a billiard table and of course stunning the scenary . Riding though the Italian/Swiss alps over a couple of days would be worth the trip alone . Also the weather should be a little cooler than the end of August when the south of France would i imagine be scorching .
I've often dreamed of doing a trip like this and due to the calender change i have an opportunity . If the Eurotour is at the end of August/beginning of September then i would have to chose between one trip or the other as i don't think i would be able to go on both so close together . I must admit if i did miss the eurotour i would be gutted as i have on the last 2 and loved every minute of them, thanks to great company , Steve's excellent organisation, and of course great roads and weather .

Oops, sorry that was me . :oops:

Jelster
13-01-05, 07:25 PM
Well if you and Alan ain't gonna be there we'd better look at some other time, but I've already booked my family holiday for 3rd/4th week of June. I'm happy to shift it away from a bank holiday as well, if we take the train and ride back as we planned it's going to take a week anyway, so I'll get me thinking cap on.

kjohanss
09-02-05, 08:50 PM
Finland in august? 5th - 7th of august Rally Finland is on. It could be part of the nordic route

Rally info:
http://www.wrc.com/page/RalliesDetail/0,,10111~7,00.html

Are you up for the jumps!

http://www.kyrre.net/kyrre/img/div/JT3007.jpg