PDA

View Full Version : Alarms - Worth it or Not?

jordyal
11-08-04, 07:55 PM
Can't decide when I get my bike whether to have an alarm fitted. I'm talking about a good one, not a £20 Ebay Job.

Are they worth it, or too much hassle?

What about Big Disc Lock Alarms?

Also, Does the SV650s K4 have an immobiliser fitted?

Cheers.

Anonymous
11-08-04, 07:57 PM
i dont bother as you dont get that much of your insurance for having an alarm. no one reacts to alarms these days and ive heard about them draining the battery

i see your moving to edinburgh soon so you wont need one there :roll:

Last Action Pimp
11-08-04, 07:58 PM
i am thinking about it also. let me know what you decide.

make sure its approved by ur insurace company

Old Codge
11-08-04, 09:09 PM
Given that the highest risk of getting your pride and joy stolen is at home, when you're in earshot of the alarm I recon it's worth it. It has the benefit of scaring off (most) young gurriers who think your bike is a climbing frame.

Bike security is never foolproof. Your best hope is to deter the opertunist, and to make things so hard for the proffesional that they look else where.

If you get an alarm, make sure it's properly fitted and you get a certificate from the installer for your insurance. Ride Magazine had a good article on alarms last month.

I'd spend the money and get one, there's no worse feeling in the world than having your bike nicked.

Cheers - Codge

Mythkind
11-08-04, 09:26 PM
Jordyal - Whereabouts in Edinburgh are you moving too?

jordyal
11-08-04, 09:35 PM

Not sure yet. Looking for a place on Sep 1st, which is cutting it close as i have to start work on the 6th.

Definately going to be living within walking distance of the centre as to be working in "The James Centre" (Thinks that's the name.)

Planning on getting my bike from Alvins.

jordyal
11-08-04, 09:36 PM
i dont bother as you dont get that much of your insurance for having an alarm. no one reacts to alarms these days and ive heard about them draining the battery

i see your moving to edinburgh soon so you wont need one there :roll:

So Edinburgh is good for not getting bikes nicked?? Seems to be a fairly low insurance group, although my bike will be stored outside.

Mythkind
11-08-04, 09:42 PM

Not sure yet. Looking for a place on Sep 1st, which is cutting it close as i have to start work on the 6th.

Definately going to be living within walking distance of the centre as to be working in "The James Centre" (Thinks that's the name.)

Planning on getting my bike from Alvins.

Then you'll probably be living in or around Leith Walk. Definately get an alarm. Nutty was being sarcastic. I least I hope she was. Edinburgh has a few gangs going round in Transit vans stealing bikes.

MK

ophic
11-08-04, 10:26 PM
my alarm is a pain but i reckon its worth it. It does provide added peace of mind when leaving the bike anywhere - unless of course u try taking a girl to a quiet spot too near a radio mast... :shock:

northwind
11-08-04, 11:44 PM
If it's a van-gang, an alarm's worthless since they're going to have it in the back and away before anyone bothers to look.

I'd like one of the ones with a pager, but not to stop it from getting nicked- it'd go off next time White Van Man decides to crash into one of the bikes outside my work...

Stig
12-08-04, 05:32 AM
I think it's worth it but not worth spending hundreds on a top one. One that will sound an alarm if moved to me is good enough. That would be enough to deter a novice thief. But no alarm is going to stop the proffesional thief from having your bike.

Ed
12-08-04, 09:02 AM
Had a Datatool 3 on mine and oh how I wish I hadn't. It was a nuisance, esp in the petrol station. It would rearm after 30 seconds, I was forever blipping the keyfob. No I wouldn't have one again.

Nutty's right, no one comes running when they hear an alarm. For home, far better to have a ground anchor IMHO.

Ed

Sid Squid
12-08-04, 12:00 PM
I have Ins. approved alarms on both the SV and the Kawasaki, I think they are a waste of time for all the reasons commonly given, but I have no choice as I live in London and all insurers require alarms to be fitted or no insurance.

Waste of £600, I can think of better security for way less money.

Itching 2 go
12-08-04, 12:07 PM
the main thing about an alarm is it actually scares most ppl off as they are noisy but the dedicated theif WILL get around them. my mate had a datatool fitted to his gsxr1000 which got niked i had a meta fitted to my tl after it got knickeed and it has scared most ppl off it went off once alerting me to someone who was sitting on it when i came out to look they were legging it down the road, as for the disclock alarms they are crap i used to sell them but would never rely on one as i didnt trust them, i prefer a strong chain

Iansv
12-08-04, 12:19 PM
Waste of time on the whole as no-one pays attention to them, and they are easily neutralised by pro's

May save you from an opportunist tho

Itching 2 go
12-08-04, 12:58 PM
perhaps this is so but there is still a 2% majority over the other 2 options put together so surly this says something

Stig
12-08-04, 05:08 PM
Well as I read this the vote is even :wink:

Warren
12-08-04, 05:18 PM
i got a meta system 3
i think its its a brilliant little system.
push the button to arm it , push the button to disarm it ,
put the key in and push the button and it turns your hazard lights on

when you disarm your alarm - it will give along beep to tell you if it has been set off or anything

its even good as a deterent , if i park up somewhere and there are a gang of roudy thugs looking at it , just beep the alarm a couple of times and they soon lose interest.

paid 300 quid for it tho - but i think its worth it - extra piece of mind

Cloggsy
12-08-04, 05:22 PM
Waste of money IMHO :!:

Warren
12-08-04, 05:29 PM
Waste of money IMHO

try parkin in romford

Stig
12-08-04, 05:32 PM
Waste of money IMHO

try parkin in romford

But it doesn't matter what security you have. If they want it they will take it regardless. May as well just buy a cheepo alarm that will deter the novice thief. After all that's all an alarm is........a deterrent

Warren
12-08-04, 05:36 PM
But it doesn't matter what security you have. If they want it they will take it regardless. May as well just buy a cheepo alarm that will deter the novice thief. After all that's all an alarm is........a deterrent

in romford, the saying goes

if it moves . . . shag it

if it doesnt . . . steal it

if it talks . . . . . urr - feel out of your league - and slowly back off towards the bar - the object in question mush have a higher IQ than you so no point sticking around - as embarrasement might come soon

Stig
12-08-04, 05:38 PM

in romford, the saying goes

if it moves . . . shag it

if it doesnt . . . steal it

if it talks . . . . . urr - feel out of your league - and slowly back off towards the bar - the object in question mush have a higher IQ than you so no point sticking around - as embarrasement might come soon :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cloggsy
12-08-04, 05:57 PM
Waste of money IMHO

try parkin in romford

That's why I live up north fella ;)

Anonymous
12-08-04, 06:42 PM
Purely as a point of interest I got more discount for having my garage alarmed than the bike but I also use a disc lock when I,m leaving the bike
My own opinion being that if you have a visual deterrent rather than a hidden elect device the crook knows he is going to have to "Carry" the bike away Unfortunately it all boils down to ~~If I want that bike I,m going to nick it whatever
ALL THE BEST WITH YOUR QUEST :roll: