PDA

View Full Version : flashy valve caps

SteveJJH
26-08-04, 12:31 PM
a friend of mine just gave me some valve caps that have blue led's in them that flash when the wheel moves. are they cool or chav?

Trix
26-08-04, 12:32 PM
Sorry but CHAV without a doubt!!!

Cronos
26-08-04, 12:32 PM
http://www.bureaunet.com/SV650/Avatar/chav-cap.gif http://www.bureaunet.com/SV650/Avatar/chav-cap.gif http://www.bureaunet.com/SV650/Avatar/chav-cap.gif

Anonymous
26-08-04, 12:33 PM
Hey, thats my hat!

Grinch
26-08-04, 12:35 PM
Its got nothin to do with Chav, they are dangerous. I had a set of blue ones on my valves and they cause it to bend and tear. I was doing 90 overtaking in the outside lane at the time, and having your front tyre deflate at that speed is not fun. I'm just glad modern tyres hold their shape.

Itching 2 go
26-08-04, 12:38 PM
chav but besides that they can really fu*k up your valves as the valve itself isnt designed to have the added weight forcing down in it espicially when you get up to high speed (130mph is a lot of g force on a small point) i have had ppl complain of slow punctures but no evedience on the tyre of such. just one of these valve caps

jonboy
26-08-04, 01:29 PM
Agreed with the above, I tried them but they made my front tyre lose pressure quickly, the ends kept flying off and they'll unbalance your wheel.

Not worth the aggro and yes they now do look a tad chav.

Warren
26-08-04, 01:48 PM
i know a guy who had em on his ninja -
goin down the motorway - they ripped out his valve and rapidly lost tyre pressure -
he almost crashed.

i got some - because they make you look more visible .
but decided against it in the end -
alrite on mopeds i suppose (top speed is pants)

northwind
26-08-04, 05:48 PM
Wonder why nobody makes similiar ones that'd just stick to the wheel rim (like balancing weights)? You could balance them off, and there'd be no danger to the valve. Still chavtastic, mind :)

fraser01
26-08-04, 06:20 PM
Unfortunately they are illegal..

simple as that :wink:

northwind
26-08-04, 06:32 PM
Yeah, I know, but then so is my number plate and exhaust...

Stig
26-08-04, 06:39 PM
Agreed with the above, I tried them but they made my front tyre lose pressure quickly, the ends kept flying off and they'll unbalance your wheel.

Not worth the aggro and yes they now do look a tad chav.

Guess that means that Rictus will go get a set now to go with the neon dayglo lights he's got :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

fraser01
26-08-04, 07:43 PM
Yeah, I know, but then so is my number plate and exhaust...

:lol:

Not bothered about that, just as long as you know mate.... :wink:

northwind
26-08-04, 09:37 PM
Somehow I didn't think you wre going to ride to Edinburgh to do me mate :)

As a wee aside, it surely makes no sense to be able to sell these things if they're illegal when used as advertised- ie tyreflies, small plates, that sort of thing... they should be cracking down on the dealers, not the users :)

SteveJJH
27-08-04, 06:06 AM
i was thinking along the 'make me more visible' idea, and i had wondered about the weight at speed. I wont bother if there's any risk of losing tyre pressure, i don't fancy that much

rictus01
27-08-04, 06:46 AM
Guess that means that Rictus will go get a set now to go with the neon dayglo lights he's got :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Err No, tyre pressures are one of the things that you get right, and keep that way, It's a safety feature.

I did use "Tyre guards" to show if any pressure loss had occurred (good idea), but some people mentioned these could fail also, so I've switched to "anti tamper" (lockable) caps and check them two or three times a week, with the same gauge.

Don't mess with tyres or pressures :!:

Cheers Mark.

jonboy
27-08-04, 07:04 AM
I'm surprised you haven't pumped them with helium instead to try and save a few kilos ;)

rictus01
27-08-04, 07:38 AM
I'm surprised you haven't pumped them with helium instead to try and save a few kilos ;)

Actually I've herd some time ago, their is a theoretical point of discussion, on using inert gases in tyres. something to do with pressurised gases, as opposed to atmospheric pressure :?: , but being on the more practical side of things I never really understood it myself, besides It would be a pain to regulate as gas supply would be a problem.

Cheers Mark.

Jabba
27-08-04, 08:36 AM
Actually I've herd some time ago, their is a theoretical point of discussion, on using inert gases in tyres. something to do with pressurised gases, as opposed to atmospheric pressure :?:

Actually, it's to do with differing expansion co-efficients of a gas mixtures with changing temperatures and water-content, critical temperatures/pressures and dew-point :roll:

Race teams/F1, etc, use nitrogen.

Theoretically, from a "physics" standpoint, the best gas to use would be hydrogen, but for some unfathomable reason the FIA wouldn't sanction its use :lol:

Warren
27-08-04, 09:42 AM
Actually I've herd some time ago, their is a theoretical point of discussion, on using inert gases in tyres. something to do with pressurised gases, as opposed to atmospheric pressure :?:

Actually, it's to do with differing expansion co-efficients of a gas mixtures with changing temperatures and water-content, critical temperatures/pressures and dew-point :roll:

Race teams/F1, etc, use nitrogen.

Theoretically, from a "physics" standpoint, the best gas to use would be hydrogen, but for some unfathomable reason the FIA wouldn't sanction its use :lol:

done your homework :)

A+

no detention for you

jonboy
27-08-04, 09:47 AM
It would be a pain to regulate as gas supply would be a problem.

Well not if you used methane. :lol:

SteveJJH
27-08-04, 11:57 AM
actually i must remember to put some air in mine, i took them down on the track day.