PDA

View Full Version : Fog City - Reactive visor insert?

Alaniski
31-08-04, 04:07 PM
Anyone used theFog City Visor insert that changes tint in bright light?
Is it any good? I only want it for the anti-sun aspect, not the misting, as my helmet never mists?

Is it worth the £30?

Thanks
Alan

Haircut
31-08-04, 08:42 PM
It is very good, although maybe a bit to dark if it is overcast in the late afternoon, although it is fine at night.

It's sun stopping ability is adequate, not as good as a pair of shades but who can put them on at 70 mph?

The anti-mist is brilliant, mines been in my helmet for over 2 years and is still working perfectly.

Is it worth £30?

Not if you only want it as a tint, its main benifit is as an anti-mist device, the reactive tinting is a bonus.

Hope that helps

nigel

AlanSv
01-09-04, 10:19 AM
mine doesnt go dark enough to be honest for bright sunlight.

I've recently bought some polarised perscription sunglasses, and I'm amazed at how much glare is reflected, and removed with these lens.

Anyone ever seen polarised visor inserts?

Cloggsy
01-09-04, 10:25 AM
I've recently bought some polarised perscription sunglasses

:shock: I wouldn't wear shades inside my lid after seeing what happened to Mrs Fud's old man when he came off whilst wearing them :-&

Clunk
02-09-04, 01:09 PM
I've had one since December.
The anti-misting is excellent but the light reactive doesn't go dark enough for me, and I'm sure it doesn't go as tinted as it did at first.

The night time isn't a problem at all.

Would I buy another ? Probably, as its good at anti-mist and offers a bit of a tint as well. Since I've had it I've never even thought about putting on a pair of sunglasses under my lid.

Clunk
02-09-04, 01:09 PM
I've had one since December.
The anti-misting is excellent but the light reactive doesn't go dark enough for me, and I'm sure it doesn't go as tinted as it did at first.

The night time isn't a problem at all.

Would I buy another ? Probably, as its good at anti-mist and offers a bit of a tint as well. Since I've had it I've never even thought about putting on a pair of sunglasses under my lid.

Cronos
15-09-04, 08:38 AM
There are pros and cons.

Pros.

* Anti-Mist - Excellent, really does eliminate virtually all misting.

* Tint - It's legal and it does react quickly to sunlight.

* Practicallity - No mucking around changing visors.

Cons.

* Vision - Slightly restricted as the border reduces line of vision.

* Tint - It's never going to rival a dark visor or sunglasses.

* Night - It does increase glare (although not too badly) in the dark.

On balance I would buy another one as it suits the majority of my riding.

My daily communte if East to West AM and West to East PM, so I'm not riding into the sun. If my commute was the other way round I'd be going for a dark visor.

Sunglasses really are not a good idea.

jinx
15-09-04, 10:31 AM
I use mine for my daily commute of 60 miles round trip and have never had any problems at all including glare from car's headlights. Best money I have ever spent with regards to biking accessories

rukus
15-09-04, 12:31 PM
I find it to be a problem at night time to be honest (when there's no streetlighting). But the anti fogging is excellent and it goes dark enough in bright sunlight to make riding bearable.

I'd buy another, but wear a clear visor when I know I'll be riding at night with no lighting.

vroooOOOM
14-10-04, 08:26 PM
I'm toying with the idea :idea: of getting a thin strip say 20mm of car windscreen tinting and aplying it across the top part only of my clear visor as I find that the sun at this time of the year is low in the sky and when this happens have you noticed how you tilt your head forwards almost looking down! :roll: Mmm if I had a small strip of tint I'd be OK untill the next bend turns me away from the Rays :shock: .

Mind you when the sun reflects off the wet road its impossible to see anything unless you've got some Welding goggles on.

Stef
20-10-04, 01:40 PM
One of the major drawbacks is the fact that it doesn't get very dark in the morning when the sun is low on the horizon !!! I didn't buy it to counteract the misting (my Shoei XR1000 already has an excellent pin-lock anti-fog).

So i've bougt an iridium blue visor for those sunny days. :twisted:

I would recommend it when you don't have an anti-fog insert and for sunny days when you don't know if your gonna be home before dark.

Anonymous
24-10-04, 12:14 PM
ive got one and find it does the job. i also have a strip of black masking tape along the top inch of my visor and when the sun is really low in the sky winter sun normally i tilt my head down and it really helps