PDA

View Full Version : commuting to work

carelesschucca
09-09-04, 08:19 PM
I've all of a sudden lost my lift into work, what do I do???

Its a 15 mile trip to work everyday, I can do it on the SV in about 25 minutes...

It would take longer on a decent scooter, but would keep the bikes already high milage from totally going through the roof...

the bus is 45 minutes of hell, but would be the cheapest...

what do I do???

weegaz22
09-09-04, 08:29 PM
id say do it on the sv, i used to commute to work on mine, up until i bought the car, and my bike has just broken the 8500miles barrier, so i wouldnt worry about the mileage, why does the mileage bother you?

either that or buy a kymco zing 125 cruiser or a scoot, pick plenty up for not a lot of cash

Moo
09-09-04, 08:52 PM
You missed off the old treader(bicycle). :lol:

carelesschucca
09-09-04, 10:05 PM
my bike has just broken the 8500miles barrier, so i wouldnt worry about the mileage, why does the mileage bother you?

bikes already got 25,000mls on it and thats 95% enjoyment mileage, can you imagine what it would be with another 150 miles a week on it, cause its a 30 mile round trip!!!

Bicycle, if I did that I could get gold in the olympics next time round, I'd have to give up the snout as well...

Patch
09-09-04, 10:18 PM
I'd say use the bike.

I use mine every day and in fact sold the car when I decided it was just gathering dust on the driveway, (you won't worry about depreciation on a bike once you've watched the value of your car drop from £42,000 to £7,000 in 5 years).

The VFR did 43,000 miles in the last 15 months, Every mile has brought a smile to my face.

Professor
09-09-04, 10:27 PM
you won't worry about depreciation on a bike once you've watched the value of your car drop from £42,000 to £7,000 in 5 years.

Nice car you had, Patch!

I commute mostly on my SV. Take the car only when the weather is
especially bad or I have my tennis gear with me.

Patch
09-09-04, 10:34 PM
you won't worry about depreciation on a bike once you've watched the value of your car drop from £42,000 to £7,000 in 5 years.

Nice car you had, Patch!

Jaguar XJ8 Sport with lots of "toys". worst car I've ever owned, used to cost in the region of £700 every 3 months to keep it on the road (not including tyres).

Mr Toad
09-09-04, 10:39 PM
Use the SV. :lol:
Why suffer when you can enjoy it :lol:
Life's too short and all that

carelesschucca
09-09-04, 10:42 PM
I knew it was a Jag B4 you wrote that last response!!! Only a Jag could loose that amount of value so quickly!!!

We'll see what happens on the getting to work thing thats for sure...

weegaz22
09-09-04, 11:04 PM
my bike has just broken the 8500miles barrier, so i wouldnt worry about the mileage, why does the mileage bother you?

bikes already got 25,000mls on it and thats 95% enjoyment mileage, can you imagine what it would be with another 150 miles a week on it, cause its a 30 mile round trip!!!

Bicycle, if I did that I could get gold in the olympics next time round, I'd have to give up the snout as well...

thats only 7200 extra miles per year dean, not a lot really, sv engine is bulletproof if its serviced regularly (oil an filter every 3k miles)

its not as if your worried about depreciation is it? cos that probably went out the window when you slung it down the track at knockhill :lol:

ophic
09-09-04, 11:29 PM
i'd say use the SV, its a great commuter - and could you really handle being stuck on a bus or scooter when you could be riding your bike?

Cloggsy
09-09-04, 11:33 PM
Niether is my answer... Buy an ER5 or a CB500 to commute on - that's what they're designed to do :!: :wink:

Mr Messy
10-09-04, 01:30 AM
I agree with Cloggsy,
I have a Honda RC31 and Yamaha XT600 for running about on. Use SV on good days and others rest of time. Workshifts and do not fancy putting SV down road on ice and snow.

rictus01
10-09-04, 05:52 AM
Niether is my answer... Buy an ER5 or a CB500 to commute on - that's what they're designed to do :!: :wink:

That's what the SV is designed to do too :!: I could understand if it was a Ducati or something,
but we're talking about a budget middle weight bike here.

It's not an expencive bike to buy or run, why limit the fun you can have to just the weekends :?: .

Two year old SV, 100.000 mile to date.One lot of road tax, one lot of insurance,Now that's getting value for money. 8)

Cheers Mark.

Mr Messy
10-09-04, 06:22 AM
Thats O/K down south, but us Northern lads have to ride in the snow in the Dales :(

Jabba
10-09-04, 07:18 AM
Thats O/K down south, but us Northern lads have to ride in the snow in the Summer :(

True :wink:

Use the SV and don't worry about it.

mysteryjimbo
10-09-04, 07:31 AM
Use the bike.

1. More "get out of trouble" power.
2. Quicker in traffic
3. Better from the lights (once youve filtered to the front :D )
4. It'll impress your mates!

I've been commuting to work by bike for 3 years now and i dont wish to swap to a car. I get too many benefits. The only downfall is the bad weather but as soon as i get my protective clothing off i'm the same as everyone else!

Akula
10-09-04, 07:35 AM
A bikes for riding not sitting in a garage, i dont know how many miles your bike has done already but whats a few more miles compared to the grin on your face :D

Martin (Akula)

simon-temple
10-09-04, 07:46 AM
Don't wish to rock the boat so I'll agree with everyone else. Mine's way above average mileage (as opposed to HUUuugeelly above average, you know how you are :) ) And I can't see that changing, I enjoy riding it too much.

simon

Professor
10-09-04, 07:48 AM

That's what the SV is designed to do too :!: I could understand if it was a Ducati or something,
but we're talking about a budget middle weight bike here.

It's not an expencive bike to buy or run, why limit the fun you can have to just the weekends :?: .

Two year old SV, 100.000 mile to date.One lot of road tax, one lot of insurance,Now that's getting value for money. 8)

Cheers Mark.

I agree with Mark, even though I cannot match his mileage.

Cloggsy
10-09-04, 07:51 AM
Thats O/K down south, but us Northern lads have to ride in the snow in the Dales :(

You speak for y'self :shock: That's what cages are for :wink:

Jelster
10-09-04, 07:57 AM
Don't worry about the milage, you bought the bike to use it, not to look at it. I now have over 10k on my Gixxer since March, and as was pointed out to me yesterday, it's already done too many miles to save it from depreciation, so I may as well carry on using it, I think you are probably in the same boat.

As stated above as well, riding the bike to work puts a smile on your face, and you're more independant too. After using the train for 3 years and falling asleep as soon as I got in, I now arrive home wide awake with a big grin, and earlier too.....

Use the bike, you know you want to.

rictus01
10-09-04, 08:11 AM
Then you might what to try one of these :?:
http://international.model-news.com/cars/skidoo/skidoo1.jpg

:offtopic: (I know)

Cheers Mark.

Cloggsy
10-09-04, 08:11 AM

True... Mark's big mileages are a true phenomena :shock:

However, I stick by what I said... If I was using a bike to commute I'd uy something older but relatively bullet proof CB500, BMW etc. The SV is my toy for sunny days :D

It probably won't have more than 10,000 miles on it in 3 yeards if I keep it :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

wyrdness
10-09-04, 08:39 AM
I bought my SV for commuting. I actually spent a couple of years commuting every day, in all weathers, on a Harley. Any bike beats a car, bus or train for commuting, though you need a back-up plan for really evil weather days or for when the bike is off the road.

Speaking of which, I got a flat tyre last night. I believe that Suzuki give you 1 years AA cover. Does anyone have details of this? I've got the infomation at home, but didn't get home last night (went to pub with mate - crashed at his place).

Wingnut
10-09-04, 09:09 AM
The number stored in my phone under Suzuki Assist is 0800 917 0656

Think this is the one. No more details to hand.

Mark

wyrdness
10-09-04, 09:12 AM
The number stored in my phone under Suzuki Assist is 0800 917 0656

Think this is the one. No more details to hand.

Mark

Thanks. That's the right number. They're sending someone out now.

Cronos
10-09-04, 09:23 AM
I'd use the bus as a contingency for those really bad weather days. You could go for a scooter or another commuter, but I suspect you'd be yearning for the SV after a few journeys.

As has already been said, you bought the SV to ride, so use it.

Baldyman
10-09-04, 09:29 AM
The SV is my first bike and I'm so glad I shopped around for information first. I ride it everyday, but can't match other high mileages. My view is you only live once, so just DO IT. I ride in all weathers which gives me much needed experience and therefore confidence in my ability and my bike (bless her) The huge grin I get, especially when a cager is trying to block me, is KNOWING that at some point I WILL sail by :evil:
The very poor alternative is listening to far too much detail of female love lives while travelling in on the bus (don't start ladies, I'm just saying what takes place) :wink:

Professor
10-09-04, 11:08 AM

True... Mark's big mileages are a true phenomena :shock:

However, I stick by what I said... If I was using a bike to commute I'd uy something older but relatively bullet proof CB500, BMW etc. The SV is my toy for sunny days :D

It probably won't have more than 10,000 miles on it in 3 yeards if I keep it :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I can suggest a Bandit 600 as a possible inexpensive commuter bike.
Since Suzuki unveiled the K5 Bandit the K4's sell ridiculously cheap.
Fowlers http://www.fowlers.co.uk are offering new naked K4's for £3349,
with all colours availble. This should affect the price of second-hand
Bandits as well.

Mogs
10-09-04, 11:36 AM
I bought my SV in march with the intention to commute and have fun. I decided to get in in the spring so that I would have the whole summer to get used to the bike and riding again after a long break (so fate gave us no summer). My round trip is 30 miles and I dont worry about clocking up miles.

I couldn't put up with riding a sccoter after the SV - probably be a bit dangerous as I may go for overtakes then find there's no power.

I look forward to going to work so I can ride, then anticipate going home again. It takes me half hour to get in as I take the shortest route (15miles), going home can take me two hours as I take the fun routes.

So my vote goes for "use the SV and smile".

weegaz22
10-09-04, 11:41 AM
if he bought another commuter he would have 2 lots of insurance, tax, mot and maintenance like tyres to pay for, which in the end is less money to spend on the sv

linco
10-09-04, 02:01 PM
havent really got much choice. i own a scooter :oops: 125 mind.....in all weather. the only exception is when its double figures below zero, ice, and snow. otherwise its a 4 bus journeys all round! *green with envy*

howardr
13-09-04, 12:49 PM
It's a mode of transport not a fashion accessory! Get out there and USE IT!

I commuted every day (yes, even when it snowed :shock: ) on my SV and covered about 12,000 miles a year for three years. The bike never gave me any probs (make sure you get a 'fender extenda' though) and - so long as you're careful - it's an absolute hoot!

You'll also find that you get so 'in touch' with your bike, riding it every day, that your leisure miles are more fun too!

Now I'm doing the same on a bloody-great Triumph and I'm still enjoying every minute. Depreciation? pah!

mysteryjimbo
13-09-04, 01:07 PM
It's a mode of transport not a fashion accessory! Get out there and USE IT!

I commuted every day (yes, even when it snowed :shock: ) on my SV and covered about 12,000 miles a year for three years. The bike never gave me any probs (make sure you get a 'fender extenda' though) and - so long as you're careful - it's an absolute hoot!

You'll also find that you get so 'in touch' with your bike, riding it every day, that your leisure miles are more fun too!

Now I'm doing the same on a bloody-great Triumph and I'm still enjoying every minute. Depreciation? pah!

Couldnt agree with you more. I dont ride on maybe 30 days of the year, the rest i'm on it everyday for at least an hour. You get to the point were you dont have to think about the motorcycle at all and purely concentrate on the road ahead!

I've never missed a day for bad weather. There was one day last year i hadnt second thoughts. I think it was a Wednesday and the ice was REALLY thick on the less used roads. A bit dicey, so i took it extremely easy on that day (it didnt help that most of the controls were iced up! :shock: ). Godbless the man (or woman) who invented long johns!!

Ed
13-09-04, 05:51 PM
I was on my way to work when I had my off. Realistically there's only one way to get there and that corner still gives me the creeps even in the cage as I remember the whole damn thing too vividly. So no I won't commute by bike any more.

snoopy
13-09-04, 06:02 PM
Don't bother with a GS500, that bike should have been terminated a long time ago. Suzuki's cheapest bull**** paint jobs coupled with a steel frame makes the bike rust to hell, and the SV does the same sort of MPG if not hammered and retains far more value.

My GS500 was a big heap or scrap ****e. I hated it more than you will ever know, (the engine problems cost me £300 in labor and couldn't be put right, because cause of problem couldn't be located)

The ER5 will rust even more.

Scooter if you want the MPG. Cg125's are ok but corrode terribly and are not as reliable as the SV by a long shot. I'll always remember the front and back spokes snapping on mine and it snaking all over the road.

amarko5
14-09-04, 02:26 PM
When you have to ride on 6" of fresh snow on top of 2" of ice on two wheels, :shock: you then learn what smooth cornering and throttle control is :!:

until you have tried this and survived (Many winters) you cannot call yourself a biker :P :wink:

tut tut all you fair weather riders (says he who hid on sunday when it ****ed down) :lol:

Normally i tend to ride in all weathers. all the time :thumbsup: and every trip to work is on 2 wheels :)

mysteryjimbo
14-09-04, 02:55 PM
When you have to ride on 6" of fresh snow on top of 2" of ice on two wheels, :shock: you then learn what smooth cornering and throttle control is :!:

until you have tried this and survived (Many winters) you cannot call yourself a biker :P :wink:

tut tut all you fair weather riders (says he who hid on sunday when it ****ed down) :lol:

You wuss! :lol:

I totally agree on the ice/snow comment! Pah to all you fair weather bikers, pah i say! :D

unlucky rider
14-09-04, 10:38 PM
use the SV and find a longer way home and have fun :lol:

Ed
15-09-04, 02:35 PM
I went to Bridgend this morning - the M4 east & west between Newport and Bridgend from 8 to 8.30 - lots of bikes, saw 2 SVs, but oh so busy. It'd scare the sh!t out of me. You'd need nerves of steel.

mysteryjimbo
15-09-04, 02:39 PM
I went to Bridgend this morning - the M4 east & west between Newport and Bridgend from 8 to 8.30 - lots of bikes, saw 2 SVs, but oh so busy. It'd scare the sh!t out of me. You'd need nerves of steel.

Like me! True biker i am...... :roll:

M1 traffic is always fun. Busy junctions around the East Midlands, regular accidents!

jonc
15-09-04, 02:53 PM
I went to Bridgend this morning - the M4 east & west between Newport and Bridgend from 8 to 8.30 - lots of bikes, saw 2 SVs, but oh so busy

Thats my commute - live in bridgend, work in newport. Don't take the bike often, but when i do the A48 skips some of the motorway :) The motorway bits are 'interesting' though :shock:

Ed
15-09-04, 03:25 PM
Wasn't you then at j35 at about 8.15 - 8.20 this morning then? Headed east. I was a cager going the other way.

Incidentally - just a thought - you don't work in the construction industry do you? For WCCL in particular? I know we have a biker in our Newport office but I don't know who.

SVeeedy Gonzales
09-03-05, 01:38 PM
I used to have an ER5 and thought about keeping it as a winter bike and saving a newer, sportier bike for weekends and sunny days... but none of the commuter bikes get the pulse racing, they're good fun, but nothing like the SV. I do about 20,000 a year just on the commute into and out of London and the SV makes the journey a lot more fun than it was on the ER5 :D
The choice was made up for me in the end when white van man ran down my ER5 :x with me on it :evil:
Would rather run a good, fun bike intot he ground with mega-mileage and have a great time than be sitting on a commuter bike wishing I had something with better looks, power and grin factor

Grinch
09-03-05, 01:43 PM
I'm riding my SV to work... 130 miles a day, I did buy a GT750, but thats just given up on me. Wish I'd spent the cash on making the SV more adapt at doing the trip.
I'm thinking of fixing the GT's gear box and selling it, its a great lumbering beast of a bike and I'm just to 'dwarfy' for it.

The SV is at 28600 miles... just remember to change the oil and filters you should be fine.

09-03-05, 05:11 PM

tut tut all you fair weather riders (says he who hid on sunday when it p*ssed down) :lol:

You wuss! :lol:

I totally agree on the ice/snow comment! Pah to all you fair weather bikers, pah i say! :D

I know u jest, but i hang my head in shame,
I used to be a double hard biker, snow, pah i eat it for brekfast, ice, what the hell is kevela for!!

sadly i have done a lowly 1000 miles this year and have ended up not riding the sv, the reason for this is i too had my worst off commuting,
i now darnt face the risk (he sayas as his car has almost been wiped out 27 times)

A now shorter commute and being put off by the accident has left the sv not ridden, waiting for the summer to realise the joys of biking again,
soon i hope :( :(

Moo
09-03-05, 06:10 PM
2 and a half mile from work I use the treader. :lol:

fizzwheel
09-03-05, 09:43 PM
Commute on your bike, you didnt by it to leave it in your garage now did you

I like my commute home, especailly in the summer I sometimes go the long way home about :lol: 8)

northwind
10-03-05, 01:31 AM

Don't worry about it... The extra running and depreciation costs are going to be less than running, taxing, buying and insuring anything other than a complete junkheap or tiny thing... And the SV's cheapish to run and reliable anyway. Puts you into the same sort of mileages as I do when I can actually ride the thing, and the SV eats them without complaint.

It'll age faster, and if it's outside during the day it'll need more looking after... And you'll probably need to look at hard tyres if you've not already (are you an 010 guy? Can't remember...), either that or you'll be doing loads more runs to your tyre place.

But it makes your commutes fantastic... Nothing like getting ut of a rubbish day at work, and taking the long way home- that's the 250 mile long way home :)

lynw
13-03-05, 02:11 AM
oooh just ventured in here andspotted this.... 1000 miles a week for me on the Sv since I got it in July until I got the CBR to split the mileage, back on the SV after CBR got taken out and then the SV went sliding in the snow.... :roll:

taking it easy on the courtesy bike... averaging 500 miles a week but Ive skived off a fair bit and not done the mileage so.... (yes brand new on 2k miles and they havent come to get it for the 600 service :oops: :roll: :lol: )

as long as the SVs maintained it will keep going and I find it fantastic especially being the loudest thing in the blackwall tunnel....

as rictus says... if you got to travel why not do it in the most fun way? you'll get to work awake and with a grin on your face which sets you up for the day and it unwinds you fantastically after a days work so you get home with a grin on your face....

go for it... unless its snowing... :oops: :lol:

REEVESIE
13-03-05, 04:07 AM
I do 54 miles a day commuting into london on my SV650S in heavy rush hour traffic.
As much as I love my SV it is not the most comfotable ride as the journey takes about an hour and twenty minutes to comlete and it's up and down the gears all the time so your clutch hand gets pretty achy after a while which is something you should consider also.
Mileage on a your bike should'nt really be considered as it is not really an expensive bike to have and run.

If you have the money for a second bike you could'nt do much worse than a suzuki burghman. One of the larger engined version should do.

I used to do this journey on a 125 burghman which did not have much guts so definately the larger engine also the space under the seat is HHHUUUGGGHH.

wheelnut
13-03-05, 07:45 AM
I knew it was a Jag B4 you wrote that last response!!! Only a Jag could loose that amount of value so quickly!!!

We'll see what happens on the getting to work thing thats for sure...

But you could have bought 2 Rovers and lost twice as much money :P

lynw
13-03-05, 01:54 PM
I do 54 miles a day commuting into london on my SV650S in heavy rush hour traffic.
As much as I love my SV it is not the most comfotable ride as the journey takes about an hour and twenty minutes to comlete and it's up and down the gears all the time so your clutch hand gets pretty achy after a while which is something you should consider also.

where do you work? :shock:
it takes me and hour 15 - hour half to ride to Islington from Ashford in Kent... took me 2 hours when I first did it cos I stuck with the a20 all the way but new route is further but quicker :shock: I go down the A2 and you can filter pretty fast for most of it...

In heavy traffic, I hardly use the gears. The SV is happy to be in first or second when youre in that traffic cos usually youre not that fast. Again it was a problem when I did the A20 because the traffic was so heavy and very stop start due to all the lights.

Seriously, there must be a better route for you to avoid the traffic and ease your clutch hand... may mean longer distance but to be honest if youre not constantly on the clutch and brakes you wont notice it....

just a thought.... I knew I couldnt continue to do the A20.... so found an alternative.... longer but quicker and easier... I appreciate it may not be possible for you but it may be worth looking at....

RandyO
13-03-05, 04:44 PM

tut tut all you fair weather riders (says he who hid on sunday when it p*ssed down) :lol:

Normally i tend to ride in all weathers. all the time :thumbsup: and every trip to work is on 2 wheels :)

+1 peeps always tell me that a track day is best to improve skills..... but they have never ridden on snow & ice, they just don't have a clue.

the SV is bulletproof, I haven't done it in the short amount of time as Rictus, but I have over 100k on my nekid red 99,

Professor
13-03-05, 05:07 PM
I have over 100k on my nekid red 99,

RISPEK! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy::notworthy:

Ed
13-03-05, 05:30 PM
Can't remember who suggested an ER5 - my advice is, DON'T. You'll hate the thing, just as I did mine.

Stig
13-03-05, 06:40 PM
The bike was cheap in the first place, the resale value aint gonna be fantastic regardless of how many miles are on it. You bought the bike to ride it, so ride it. I commute on mine too. It used to be about 250 miles a day, now its down to 50, so long as you service it regulary. oil filter, plugs and such it will be fine. I have thrown my bike at metal fence post and a motorway barrier at 80mph and the engine is still rock solid.

northwind
13-03-05, 07:20 PM

Have you tried removing the clutch "safety" switch? I pulled mine and it lightens the action a little- could be enough to make a difference over a longer journey. Never missed it in the slightest.

lynw
13-03-05, 09:33 PM
The bike was cheap in the first place, the resale value aint gonna be fantastic regardless of how many miles are on it. You bought the bike to ride it, so ride it. I commute on mine too. It used to be about 250 miles a day, now its down to 50, so long as you service it regulary. oil filter, plugs and such it will be fine. I have thrown my bike at metal fence post and a motorway barrier at 80mph and the engine is still rock solid.

oh and it bounces of cars quite well too by all accounts leaving them intact and the engines STILL bullet proof :wink: :lol: :lol:

I have total respect for anyone who rides in and survives the snow.... I did one day but not another.... :cry: but the SV isnt too bad for the slide, engine solid but need the carbs looked at... thats really all thats left now...

and to be honest, do you need to be going up and down the gears so much...? the bikes quite happy to do high revs but if youre like I used to be you dont like it so up a gear early... just another thought for you to consider.. as I say I tend to only be 1st or 2nd, very occasionally 3rd when in london traffic...

The Mass
13-03-05, 09:54 PM
I can't beleive it takes some of you that long to get in to work every day :shock: :shock:

I do a 240 mile a day round trip and can be in work before some of the lads who live less than 30 miles away (London area).

I can't wait to use the blue cow. I have now TODAY completed the first 500 miles on her, she'll be going in for her fist service this week.

And then we'll be trundling down the M4 together :D

If I use it with the intention of, then I should have about 30 - 40k on her by this time next year..we shall see. :roll:

Use the bike man, I can't wait to :thumbsup:

northwind
13-03-05, 09:58 PM
she'll be going in for her fist service this week.

:shock:

and I mean that sincerely,

Carsick
13-03-05, 10:01 PM

I'm with Northy.
I think I lasted about a week till the first service.
I'm expecting to be on about 25k by the time she's a year old.

Of course, I don't commute, since I work from home.

lynw
13-03-05, 10:31 PM
but if you use the M4 dont you have your own lane? which will explain why you can go quicker than me with a lesser distance journey.....

when your bike lane is the white line between the cars you tend to be a bit more careful than if youre in your own lane.... :lol:

but its the only way to commute into london really.... even with the risks... :D I get to ride my bike 3 hours EVERY day plus what I do at the weekend.... fantastic!!!! :lol:

northwind
13-03-05, 11:28 PM
[quote="CarsickI'm with Northy.
[/quote]

That's not exactly what i was :shock: ing about- more the very unfortunate typo :)

Carsick
13-03-05, 11:29 PM
I'm with Northy.

That's not exactly what i was :shock: ing about- more the very unfortunate typo :)
Ahh, I see it now.
Whoops!

The Mass
14-03-05, 07:54 AM

You guys....Kill me :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's started my week off well :thumbsup: