PDA

View Full Version : Mick Boddice Raceschool Darley Moor

pete m
16-09-04, 03:18 PM
Off at the crack of the dawn to Darley moor...anyone been? im told is small....technical ...and a long way from SW9...i wonder how long its gonna take to get there, starts at 9 am !!!! :evil:

wheelnut
18-09-04, 10:40 PM
Are we going to find out more?

The only thing I know about Darley Moor is that it always rains even when the sun is shining over the field next door.

Mick Boddice is a well respected race / track trainer though

mac608
20-09-04, 04:26 PM
Pete m - well how did it go? I've been looking at this but never got round to booking.
I'd welcome any feedback

pete m
21-09-04, 12:17 AM
i didnt make it - i hope to go in 2 weeks instead ( i hope Mick will be ok ), i will let you know...

wheelnut - are you local to darley moor? can yoou come down? id pay someone(not much) to come and take some film with my minidv camera when i go

Al
06-10-04, 12:55 PM
think i did this in 1999 ! it was very good. darley moor is basically a triangle with some esses/chicanes, and a nice tight hairpin with a left kink on exit, so easy on the gas regardless of how tempting the straight looks.

http://www.darleymoor.co.uk/MAPtrack1.gif

Al
16-10-04, 04:33 PM
saw 'superbike school' on men and motors a few days ago. james whitham at darley moor. think there's more to come.

wheelnut
17-04-05, 10:02 AM
Has anyone done the Mick Boddice thing yet then?

Im just going down there now 8)

It looks like the sun is shining :P

northwind
17-04-05, 06:31 PM
Wow, it's like Knockhill with even less corners :)

wheelnut
17-04-05, 06:57 PM
A good day out had by me :P

It did rain! there were loads of people practising high speed get offs at Park Corner

And there was a black SV parked near me :wink: Im sure the couple did the Burton Santa run a few months ago

$i
17-04-05, 11:13 PM
I :love: darley moor. think its a good track for both experienced, and novice riders.

Warren
17-04-05, 11:22 PM
just outta interest, how much is it ?

$i
19-04-05, 01:42 PM
I went last year with my local IAM so there were no @ss holes on the track. worked out bout £100 each. I would recomend staying up there the nite before and theres a few B&B's for around £35.

Going again this year in august! :D

wheelnut
29-07-05, 09:52 PM
I have just been back to Darley Moor today. Alas only as a spectator, although Mick was trying to get me on a bike :P

Day starts at 9am, (sensible) normally Fridays
Full day on a school CBR 600RR £250
Full day on own bike £175 (road legal can)
One to One instruction £375

The day started with tea coffee and a breifing that I was not privy to, but I was speaking to one of the instructors outside the room.

3 groups of 4 riders with one instructor per group for exercises.

After about 4 slow laps behind the instructor, learning lines, each group comes in for a chat about counter steering and body position. Then they commence on a couple of steering exercises around bollards on the pit lane straight. This is followed by a high speed steering exercise and controlled braking combined.

A few more faster laps behind the instructor, still 4 to a group but if there is a huge gap, another instructor will come out. 2 to 1 instruction :P

Lunch, tyre and suspension setup talk, followed by more track time.

This time pupils are encouraged to ride faster and overtake the instructors. I only saw one slightly dodgy moment when someone did a Rossi on one corner, and recovered it beautifully :D

Instead of doing Trackdays, I would reccomend these training days. Im going to check with Bennets as to whether training on track is covered.

I tried a 600RR, but felt it was too high and wide for me, all bikes are fitted with full race bodywork.

kwak zzr
30-07-05, 08:38 AM
i went to darley a few years ago and well enjoyed it! its a nice little track and its not far from me,i fancy doing one of those myself (mallory park is another good'un to keep in mind)

Saint Matt
30-07-05, 11:55 AM
Me and my dad used to do grasstracking right next to there, havent been to the actual track though

Jdubya
20-06-07, 07:12 PM
I'm doing this on Friday with Essex of essex.
Anyone who's done it care to comment on how their day went?

Jdubya
20-06-07, 10:07 PM
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u197/TheDivineRose_11/thbump.gif

MiniMatt
21-06-07, 07:00 AM
Raced there a good few years back; it's had a lot of work since and I think they've restructured some of the corners and extended run off a bit. Lovely track but (at the time, possibly still is) one of the scariest tracks in the country. Run off is/was measured in inches and tyre walls loom up really quick. A flock of sheep grazing the in-field is/was a nice touch though :D

Jdubya
21-06-07, 08:15 AM
... A flock of sheep grazing the in-field is/was a nice touch though :D

Not too sure that you really wanna see a sheep running across the haipin as you approach at 80mph:smt103 :smt103

Jdubya
21-06-07, 01:33 PM
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u197/TheDivineRose_11/thbump.gif

Jdubya
25-06-07, 03:28 PM
Well, I did the day on friday 22nd with essex of essex from the site and met up with svon:smt039 from the board( MIGT's I believe ) as well.

Just to start off by saying, what an awesome day on track it was!:thumbsup:

The day started off at about 09h00 with everyone signing-in, getting changed into leathers, etc then heading off for a brew and the briefing. As luck would have it, it was raining so after being split into 3 groups for the day, we ventured out onto track to meet our steeds(cbr600rr's in full racing plastics) for the day and do our sighting laps. The track was wet but grippy and all was looking good for the day. After the sighting laps there was a bit more verbal instruction then onto the long straight for some counter-steering work. This was good as the next few sessions would find us on an increasingly drying track. By lunchtime there was a very wide dry line which proved to be the pinnacle after a mornings wet sessions.
A lot was learnt and I cannot wait to get the 'tona onto its first trackday!:smt080

Photo's from the day will follow soon.:thumbsup:

Sticks UK
25-06-07, 05:55 PM
you didn't have to do hard braking in a straight line to lock up and release the front wheel?

i did the same day in 1998 on the last of the steel frame cbr600s.

Jdubya
25-06-07, 09:23 PM
you didn't have to do hard braking in a straight line to lock up and release the front wheel?

i did the same day in 1998 on the last of the steel frame cbr600s.

We couldn't do it because the track was too wet and Mick didn't want to risk getting the bikes damaged during the excercise...but doing the course in the wet certainly gave me more confidence in the machines abilities and also helped to smooth out my machine control.

Jdubya
27-06-07, 05:35 PM
Some pics now here (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?p=1223683#post1223683)