PDA

View Full Version : How big is yours ?

Mr Toad
17-09-04, 01:26 PM
Number plate that is :lol:

I've just got a very nice 6 * 4.5 from Malplates (ordered Monday PM via internet, turned up Friday AM, good service), and it looks VERY small :)
VERY VERY small in fact :shock:

So if I get pulled, what's the worse that can happen :?:
£30 fine, or is it points as well :roll:

Iansv
17-09-04, 01:37 PM
Std for me... i'd rather not attract the attention

Cloggsy
17-09-04, 01:51 PM
Mine is 8" x 6" smaller, but not too small as to take the **** :wink:

Malplates did mine too :wink:

wigan650s
17-09-04, 03:07 PM
one liner but a custom size so slightly bigger than the 1" ones,got it mainly due to i keep smashing standard ones on the rear wheel :oops: (honestly i did)..anyhows was a bit worried about being pulled but had no problems so far even when i got pulled for speeding had one officer walked round the bike checking it and the other sat in the police car staring straight at my tidy rear(it was 2 female officers :D )never mentioned the plate and were very nice about me speeding(i still dont think i was,i think they was a bit miffed because i overtook them...propably not a good idea in hindsight :shock: )

jonboy
17-09-04, 03:53 PM
So if I get pulled, what's the worse that can happen :?:
£30 fine, or is it points as well :roll:

The worst that can happen is three points on your licence plus a fine plus a rectification notice (and please Mrs Patch we've already had this argument, er I mean discussion ;)).

You're likely to get a £30 fine though.

Now I carry my standard plate in my backpack and am more than prepared to swap it over whilst they watch as it takes less than a minute. Should be good for a giggle anyway.

northwind
17-09-04, 08:21 PM
Not sure how big mine is, the characters are standard size and font but they're closer together than is legal, and the plate overall is a fair bit smaller than the garage door that was bolted to the bike when I got it (which as far as I can tell is illegally large). I figure if I get stopped I'm going to be in trouble for the can, might as well be in trouble for the plate as well.

6x4's way smaller than you'd think when you see it on a bike... Glad I didn't go that small.

BURNER
17-09-04, 09:31 PM
I've got a loud can and a dark visor, I think a small plate would be taking the **** just a bit too much.
My neighbours a copper and he doesn't mind the can or the visor, but he reckons small plates mean you're trying to avoid detection by speed cameras. No proof that it does, just it's his and other coppers pet peeve.

Blue Flame
18-09-04, 11:01 PM
Not sure how big mine is...........

Don't worry they say that size isn't important..... :^o

weegaz22
19-09-04, 12:45 AM
id say mine is about 8x6 as the excess on the outside of the plate has been trimmed off, letters are still correct size

Viney
19-09-04, 01:13 AM
I have a 7x6 legal plate. It had 2 ones in it, and can be 7x6 leagly. Howevr, i have a 7x6 with illgal spacing, i also have a 9x3 but have been done for that one :(

Mr Toad
19-09-04, 10:23 PM
Thanks guys
Having closely inspected the rear ends of most of the bikes at Nero's the other day, it does seem possible to get away with that size of plate as there were several there of the same size.
However, as I commute into central London everyday :cry: , and usually pass several cop cars each way, I think I'll err on the side of caution and order one a bit bigger 8).

Incidently, in 3 years of commuting, I've rarely seen any bike cops (except around the Houses of Parliament, and they're all armed to the teeth :shock: ), and one of those times I got pulled for speeding :oops:, perhaps it's only the bike cops who look out for these things :D

rictus01
19-09-04, 11:42 PM
Always fit a 7 x 5 plate to my bikes, and can honestly say I've never been pulled for it in the last 30yrs or so.

Cheers Mark.

Moo
21-09-04, 03:51 PM
Saw a bike on sunday near Matlock pulled by the police it had to be because of the plate it was no more than 2" x 6".

timwilky
21-09-04, 06:56 PM
Will get a smaller plate when I take the chainsaw to the back end over the winter. God the SV back side make the wifes look titchy :wink:

harrisman
21-09-04, 07:29 PM
moobie wrote
Saw a bike on sunday near Matlock pulled by the police it had to be because of the plate it was no more than 2" x 6".

yeah but that doesnt really say much as u get pulled by matlock for changing gear out of place :shock:

the plate on my streetfighter is small!!! (i have a full size one) but as it doesnt move much i think it will b ok :D

Mr Toad
21-09-04, 08:01 PM
God the SV back side make the wifes look titchy :wink:

:shock: :shock: :lol:

I believe they can also be 'trimmed', but not as easy as bolting on a Hammicad :cry:

mysteryjimbo
22-09-04, 10:29 AM
I can say that there's nothing on my bike thats illegal and i've never been pulled over in my 3 years of riding.

However i am a bit of speed demon around town and when i'm filtering.

jambo
24-09-04, 01:55 PM
Mine's completely standard, but the bulb's gone "I'll do it next week I promise :roll: "

Jelster
24-09-04, 04:05 PM
Mine's a 6x4, with a "Jelster" tag on the bottom of the plate. I also have a fairly loud can, where a dark visor, and the bike looks a bit trick, but I had a rosser follow me while I was filtering the other day for a couple of miles without a problem.

They're not interested unless you're being an ****, and in which case it's your own fault if you get caught.