PDA

View Full Version : How much for a.....

Philbo
06-10-04, 11:41 AM
HI folks,
Still looking for this wee project bike. What would be a reasonable price for a 1991 Suzuki RGV, 34,000 miles on the clock?

Anyone have anything good or bad to say about this bike?

I think it's a two stroke, so how does that work when it comes time to fill up the petrol tank? Do I need to carry a bottle of oil around with me!?

Cheers,
Phil.

northwind
06-10-04, 09:16 PM
UBG, It says:

249cc, 2-stroke twin, 60 bhp, 135mph 35mpg, 136kg dry, ins 11

(56bhp seems to be a more common figure for peak at 11,000)

Fast, sometimes sublime race rep, cramped riding position causes havoc, 91 model had revised, slightly better chassis with USD forks etc. Try to buy one in a standard state of tune. Check for crash damage as they are popular with teh back street merchants. Post-93 have tougher engines. Early ones had rear cylinder problems.

It doesn't quote a price for a 91, but has '94- excellent condition £1200, average £850, poor £550.

Sounds like a great ride, anyway... I want one now! 2 strokes vary in design, some you need to mix the 2-stroke oil in the tank or in a bucket (rubbish), lots you have a seperate 2-stroke tank and the bike does the mixing, much easier but still a logistical hassle at times for the smoke-lover. In return, you get a 56bhp, 130 kilo 250cc bike! Mad...

harrisman
06-10-04, 09:28 PM
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm RGV fast as **** they will blow any 600 away upto about 130.

only problem being is its not a case of it lows up but more like when it blows up. Power valves have a habit of dropping out! fun when they work but murder when things go wrong. my m8 had major headache. but they do sound bril!!!!!!

petrol head :twisted:

simon-temple
07-10-04, 07:58 AM
I put the front end of the RGV onto my TZR250 because it was basically amazing! braking hard from 100 was a two finger squeeze.

I've not had the RGV but I agree with Harrisman, when not if! But if it's a toy then the low use will help. Only use top quality synthetic two stroke and if it is only going to be a toy then you could ditch the autolube system and just use premix. By the way you need to use premix oil in this case. That'll also save weight :D

Hmm imagine RGV chassis with SV lump :roll:

Philbo
07-10-04, 11:31 AM
Smashin! Now to go and beat up the seller to get a decent price! Assuming he's still got it...

Philbo
16-10-04, 05:16 PM
A 1991 RGV 250 will cost about 850 notes! Woohoo! A new toy to play with, and no worries about buggering the warranty!

Oh yeh, and it's a V-twin!!! :D

Philbo
17-10-04, 03:06 PM
http://server5.uploadit.org/files/philbo-RGV.jpg

VROOOOOOMMM!

Cronos
17-10-04, 03:10 PM
Lookin' good Phil!

So you managed to batter him down a wee bit.

Philbo
17-10-04, 03:18 PM
Yeh, he was looking for 1k originally! Looks like a reasonable deal, the truth will unfold as I start working on it!

Bloddy typical, the one week I could really do with picking wee Jim's brain and our class isn't on :roll:

fizzwheel
17-10-04, 03:28 PM
Quality.. I looked at both the RGV and the Aprilia RS250 before I got my SV. was put off as both arent really everyday rides and I needed somethnig I could commute on wihtout worrying about it lunching itself..

Still like to get one for a weekend toy though

:D

M65
17-10-04, 04:09 PM
Had a blast on a friend of a friends RGV250 a couple of weeks ago and absolutely loved it. Power band - yes please!! Like a rocket when it hits it and so light and flickable. The perfect weekend toy.

Philbo
17-10-04, 09:10 PM
Bloody sore on the wrists after few miles though, hopefully won't take too long to get used to it! Smashin fun, un-remarkable performance until you hit 7500 rpm then BAM! Your off like a wee rocket!